Door lock will not unlock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twukker

We've got a '06 Grand Junction 5th wheel and we can't get in! It looks like the outside portion of the lock is turned and won't allow the key into the slot to unlock it. Does anybody have a clue how I can remedy that? Thanks, in advance!

Most of these RV's have 2 door locks. On mine, the upper key hole is for the dead bolt and the lower is more like an ordinary door lock. both use the same key!! If this is what yours is like, which one is giving the problem??

I had one of them go like that and a liberal squirting inside with WD40 seemed to loosen it up sufficiently. (I was 1800 miles away at the time, the person taking care of the trailer had the problem and solution so I don't have all the details.)

The only other time I had an entry problem, it was self inflicted, the keys were misplaced. I was able to remove the escape window from the outside in 10 minutes and climb in there. Speaks loads for the quality of the escape window and trailer security eh???

IF the outside is turned and won't let the key in ... No problem on many locks. the outside part that is turned is nothing more than a cap, you should be able to turn it back by either using just the tip of the key or a flat screwdriver, IF it takes FORCE, then you have a problem, if it turns easily.. (It should) just line it up and have fun.

A couple of years ago my wife stuck the back door key in the front door deadbolt and turned it....once!!  It was a major battle of jiggling and cussing and I finally got the deadbolt opened but it was not fun.

Worst case is you might have to get a professional to unlock it for you.

Alfa38User said:
Most of these RV's have 2 door locks. On mine, the upper key hole is for the dead bolt and the lower is more like an ordinary door lock. both use the same key!! If this is what yours is like, which one is giving the problem??

I had one of them go like that and a liberal squirting inside with WD40 seemed to loosen it up sufficiently. (I was 1800 miles away at the time, the person taking care of the trailer had the problem and solution so I don't have all the details.)

The only other time I had an entry problem, it was self inflicted, the keys were misplaced. I was able to remove the escape window from the outside in 10 minutes and climb in there. Speaks loads for the quality of the escape window and trailer security eh???

It looks like mine is theopposite, the top is a normal lock and the bottom is the deadbolt. The deadbolt is the one that is locked and I tried getting the outside portion to turn with just the key (as I've had to do several times before), but this time it's not moving at all. I was afraid that I might have to call a locksmith, but those guys are so d@#$ expensive! Oh, well. I guess if I have to, that's what I will do!

Is it possible to get into the TT by going through one of the outside storage area.  This happened on a TT parked next to me a few years ago and they were able to go in under the bed and lift it to get access inside, then open the dead bolt from inside.

You might try spraying some carburetor cleaner inside the keyhole and working it with the key.  Then add some WD-40 after the carburetor cleaner evaporates and work the key again.  I have had success using this approach in the past on car door locks.

Sloop said:
You might try spraying some carburetor cleaner inside the keyhole and working it with the key.  Then add some WD-40 after the carburetor cleaner evaporates and work the key again.  I have had success using this approach in the past on car door locks.
I recommend using a spray graphite over WD-40.  It evaporates and leaves graphite to lube the  lock which won't attract dirt so easily.

Graphite would be an excellent choice for a final lubrication of the lock but it will not do much for freeing any residue which may be gumming up the pins in the lock. WD-40 actually contains some cleansing ingredients that might assist with the cleaning.

Looks like we have another WD-40  pro and con conversation.

A little while ago I had the occasion the need to find a Locksmith for an Rv problem.. I found an old shop, in business for many years...a couple of old guys. They fixed the lock on my driver side door that had no key. Hadn't been used for years. I had to tear the door apart to get the lock out an bring it to their shop.

They cut a new key for me after quite a few problems to get the lock working. What did they use ?  WD-40 of course. 

I then asked them what I could do to prevent a future disaster.  The answer... Use WD-40 any time you want. I asked about powdered graphite.. they said ..save your money, we have used -40 for many years and there are no down-sides.

Strangely, the new key also fit the main door of the RV.. Maybe they cut a master key that fits many Rv's. Don't worry, I am not Rv'ing any more.

So, there you go. Who is right ?

When we were at the Quartzsite Rally a couple of years ago, we had the lock stick.  Luckily, we had left one of the windows open, I climbed in, and unscrewed the lock.  I couldn't get the lock all the way off, but I did get it loose enough to get the door open.  The white metal internal workings of the lock had broken, so there was no way of repairing the part.  I went to one of the several RV shops set up for the RV show and bought a new lock, and it was fixed in minutes.

Ed

My Via's door was stuck in locked position. It has electronic lock/unlock. After removing door panel I saw that the actuator is attached to the lock slide knob via a rod and the lock slide it is attached to the lock mechanism. I unhooked the actuator rod and the slide was able to move to unlock the door.
The actuator was frozen.
I lucked out for this being an easy fix.

dbeck said:
My Via's door was stuck in locked position. It has electronic lock/unlock. After removing door panel I saw that the actuator is attached to the lock slide knob via a rod and the lock slide it is attached to the lock mechanism. I unhooked the actuator rod and the slide was able to move to unlock the door.
The actuator was frozen.
I lucked out for this being an easy fix.

This post is 8 years old and the original poster hasn?t been back since. Maybe the information you provided may help someone else in the future . Thanks for providing that and welcome to the forum

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom