Weight Distribution Hitch Setup Height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sethspst

I've got a 20' TT and towing with an SUV. When I bought it from the dealership, they set the hitch up so it's porpoising. The only way the trailer tows level is if I set the WD hitch up to squat the rear of the vehicle, which I don't like.  I was considering lowering the hitch to get the trailer to tow more level, and the vehicle not to squat.  THe problem with the trailer porpoising, is that it causes the grey tank line to sit right on top of the rear axle (poor design). When the trailer is level, unhooked from the TV, the hitch is 2-3" higher than the tongue.  Just wanted to get a second opinion.
Thanks,
Seth

What SUV are you using as a tow vehicle?  It sounds like you have too much trailer for the TV.  Your Tow Vehicle shouldn't squat substantially when the trailer is connected.  A WD hitch won't solve a truck/trailer mismatch. 

Sounds like you need to lower the ball on your WD Hitch.  The ideal setting is for the trailer to be level when you cinch up the Spring Arms and the SUV should return to its unhitched height.

1. Park on level surface

2. Disconnect the trailer.

3. Level the trailer.

4. Lower the unit that holds the hitch ball so that it is level with the trailer in this unhitched position..

5. Measure the height of the trailer and the height of the bumper of the SUV.

6. Reconnect the trailer to the SUV.

7. Adjust the tension of the Spring Arms until you obtain the measurements taken in Step 5.

8. Remember how many links you dropped on the Spring Arms for future hook ups. 

As weewun says, your WD hitch is not adjusted properly (or the spring bars are inadequate for the hitch weight).  The ball height needs to be set so that the trailer is level after the spring bar tension has been adjusted to bring the SUV back level with the full weight on.

Your hitch owner manual should have instructions for doing that. If the dealer didn't give you those (typical), they can be found online. There is a general set of instructions in the RVForum library, but you are probably going to want the details that apply to your brand of hitch as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom