Extension for use in charging RV Battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickRv

Hi,

I just bought a new Northstar TC800 and I was wondering if a regular 15Amp outdoor extension cord (50 ft) is adequate for running the lights and general re-charging of the battery.

I don't plan on running the refrigerator while hooked up to the extension cord.

Thanks in advance.

RickRV

It will work fine as long as you don't turn on any large appliances like the air conditioner or the electric modes of the refrigerator or the water heater.  Running them in gas mode is OK, just don't use the electric side.

In a TC800 a 15a extension cord will run everything except the air conditioner, and it might run that as well since TC800s don't have very large air conditioners.

My truck camper only has a 15a connection on it, not a 30a one.  Just saying.

Thanks for the information. 

My TC800 has two 15 amp fuses and one 30 amp fuse, so I will play it safe and not run the frig when hooked up to mains power.

Again thanks.

RickRV

I recommend you get a Kill A Watt or equal.  If you find your voltage is good then you know the extension cord will be OK.  I use mine all the time to make sure the power source I am on is within specs.  This includes campgrounds and portable generators.

I'll look into a "Kill A Watt".

I went ahead and bought a 30Amp RV power cord extension (30 feet).  Although it cost twice what the 15 Amp cord cost and was shorter, I figured sooner-or-later my wife was going to make me buy an air conditioner, so I went ahead.

Thanks for all the good information.

RickRV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom