Compass and outdoor temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mercoupe50

I am looking for a compass and outdoor temperature display for the motorhome.  One that is easily readable and preferably LED.  If you have one that you are satisfied with please let me know.

I have one from American Technology Components that works well. It mounts IN the dash board rather than stick-on or  on top.  The only problem I've had is the location of the temperature sense probe - no matter where it is, it reacts strongly to sunlight heating the side of the coach. Maybe it works too good!  But I have other external thermometers (one on bedroom and another for a weather center in the lounge area) and both of those also react quickly when the sun begins to shine on their sensor.

Here is a used on one ebay - not cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Digital-Compass-American-Technology-Components-AP-SUB-017-RV-Motorhome-/180757838907

Thanks Gary.  They wanted $240 for that used one.  I just bought a new one for $204 on Amazon.  Looks like a good unit from the specifications.  Where did you mount your temp sensor?

I have one in dash as well but wanted one for inside on the table when the MH was not running. I mounted the sensor in the propane tank bay as it is open at the bottom, etc and temp seems to be reasonably accurate.

Great suggestion Mav.  I was thinking that the generator compartment might work as well.  Did you install it yourself?  Where in WA are you?

Where did you mount your temp sensor?

Mine was factory standard equipment. It is mounted on the right side of the dash,, to the right of the back-up monitor and below the generator meter.  Obviously it has to go where there is room on your dash, which undoubtedly is a different layout than mine.

I like the far right location because it puts it in the middle where it is visible from the rest of the front of the coach. That way, it's not just a  driver instrument.

I got my wireless set, temp inside and out, at Walmart. the outside unit hangs under the center of the MH out of sight of the sun and gives a good reading set up as well as on the road. I Have the inside unit setting in the living room.

David, I did install the sensor as it was just a set that I purchased at Walmart. DW wanted one inside so we could throw the ugly window stick-on one away!
I also have a set in my dash like Gary's but it is blocked with my laptop as we travel. My GPS has a compass built in to S&T so don't need the one on the dash.
We are a bit south of Tacoma, by Spanaway Park. Anywhere near you guys?

Oh yea, beautiful area! Have done a lot of MC riding down along the L&C Hwy. I'm not native but DW is and It still amazes me all the terrific country we have up here in the NW. No where else like it!

I bought a 2001 County Coach Intrigue 40' RV, and it got this device in the middle and in front of the driver's seat. The display seems always stay off until you press one of the button for 3 or 5 seconds, then the display comes up for few seconds, then it goes off again. Is this normal, or something wrong with the device?

This device is called "American Technology ATCOMP01 Dash Mount Compass & Temperature Display", and also sold on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081W8VUU

I had that unit in my '04 American Tradition and it stayed on 24/7, but it was wired to a constant power 12v circuit. Yours might be set up differently.

American Technology has decent customer service and factory repair. Give them a call.
https://www.atcomp.com/contact-us/

kaptain1 said:
...This device is called "American Technology ATCOMP01 Dash Mount Compass & Temperature Display", and also sold on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081W8VUU

This has a vacuum florescent (VF) display which consumes more power than an LCD.  I'm surprised that devices with VF are still being made.  It would be better to have something with an LCD since they would be more likely to be left always on.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
This reason for this type of display is better visibility in bright light. Better contrast too.  LCDs are backlit and wash out badly in bright sun.

I respectfully disagree.  VF and OLED have better contrast in the dark, but LCDs have some reflective component that makes them better in the bright sun when the sun overwhelms the backlight and the luminance of the VF or OLED.

Back
Top Bottom