A/C Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tshockey

I noticed this weekend a little water dripping from my A/C unit (13,000 BTU) to the kitchen floor,it wasn't much at all but i never saw it last year at all. Could that be low freon ?  It was also very humid this weekend. Wouldn't think that would be normal. Any help would be appreciated

When the humidity is high, you can get condensation in the A/C ducts.  If it only happens when the humidity is high, it's normal.  The normal condensate from the unit should all be on the outside and runs off the roof.

If it doesn't clear up when the humidity drops, then check for any leaks around the A/C caulking on the roof.  Also, if you're not level the condensate may be running back into the A/C instead of off the roof.  However, I think it's just the normal condensation you get with high humidity.

Look also around the inside of the a/c, after removing the interior air return grill. Sometimes cold air leaks back around the edges of the air handler and chills the humid incoming air enough to cause it to condense and drip.  In severe cases it will cause a freeze-up, with ice forming on the inside air intake.A bit of caulking/sealing around the edges will fix that.

One of the things I've found with Air Conditioners (Both home and professional) is that they have some way to drain the condensate, Professional and Centeral home units are designed to drain to the sewer system, Window air conditioners are designed to drain to a pan outside the house under the condensor, this allows the heat of the condensor coil to evaporate much of the water, it also improves the efficency of the unit.

Alas, Sometimes there is more condensate than the outside coil can evaporate, then it drips outside the house

RV roof units are simular to the window units I'm familure with save they drip onto the roof instead of the ground.

Three things can cause them to drip inside

1: If they are not proprely leveled, then the inside pan can run over.  Level the rig

2: If "Crud" has clogged to path the water takes as it drains to the outside (happens on Commericial and Centeral too)  Cleaning is all that's needed

3: And you should hope this is not it,,, As the song goes  "There's a hole in the bottom of the well"

Or in this case, the drain pan

The good news is,,, The only time I've ever seen a hole in the bottom of the drain pan was because I had put one there, on purpose, using a drill (Long story but I obtained the desired result with said drill)

tshockey said:
I noticed this weekend a little water dripping from my A/C unit (13,000 BTU) to the kitchen floor,it wasn't much at all but i never saw it last year at all. Could that be low freon ?? It was also very humid this weekend. Wouldn't think that would be normal. Any help would be appreciated

At AC school, they advise the solution is to clean the filters frequently.

In some windy and desert like areas you may need to clean the filters 2 or 3 times a week  possibly even more.

Back
Top Bottom