Truck Scales - Where to find one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickRv

Hi,

I live in the Denver, CO area, and I see a lot of RVer's recommending that you weigh your truck and camper, so that you know what the total weight and axle weight actually are.

My question is where or how would you locate a facility that can weigh your truck/camper and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks,

RickRV

Many folks use CAT scales, you can find a location near you by visiting: http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator.  Their fee is $9.50.  You can also try at your local dump.  Most counties, at least around here, have a municipal dump that has a scale to weigh trucks coming and going.  Ours will weigh you for free.

Also, check with local quarries.  Some will let you use their scales for a nominal charge or perhaps free.

Most large truck stops (Flying J/Pilot, Loves) have scales.

ArdraF

Most if not all the Pioneer Sand and Gravel / Landscaping yards will let you use their scales.  If you need a certified weight I think it is something like $8    ... don't know where you are, but there is one north of 104th on Irma Drive in Northglenn and one near the intersection of Hiway 287 north of Broomfield and and I think it is 144th .... where Northwest Parkway crosses 287.  You can get at least axle weights ... ask and they may be able to give you wheel weights with a couple of passes.

Howard

This would be a Midwest spot (probably not too many in CO), but many grain elevators will have scales for weighing grain trucks.  Often free to use.  That's how I weighed my MH a few years ago.  The scale readout was always turned on, and I just drove through before all the fields were harvested and elevator business would pick up.  Those scales may not give you "4 corner" weights, but you can still get each axle and the total.

To do a proper weighing, you need to do more than a scale drive thru. Each axle of the trailer and tow vehicle should be weighed as well as each side of of each axle. I would also do it with the trailer loaded and the water/holding tanks full even though you may not travel with the tanks full. This weighing takes a little bit of time so a busy truck stop might not be the ideal place. A weigh station that's rarely used is ideal. There are lots of those on "back" roads, for example on US-1 or US 17 instead of I-95.

For more information on how and where to get your RV weighed, go to the RVSEF website (http://rvsafety.com/) and click on "Weighing Program". Note: There will be a weighing program at The Rally in Daytona in November. Also, there is an RVSEF approved weigh site in Colorado Springs. See the RVSEF website for the address.

Thanks for all the great ideas!  I live less than 2 miles from the Pioneer Sand & Gravel that is just off US287.  I guess I could call (I've done a lot of business with them in the past) and try to get a gross vehicle weight.

Best Regards,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom