Car Canopies - Do they collapse in storms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Toad

Hi, RV Folks,

I promise that I did search for this topic....since I'm sure it's been discussed.

In some RV parks, I see folks have set up "semi-portable" car canopies...to protect their vehicles from sun and hail or whatever.  These seem to cost about $100 to $300 depending on material, coverage, and quality.

QUESTION:  How do these canopies fare in severe storms and winds?  It seems that they would simply blow over or be torn from their bases...regardless of whether they are bolted or even concreted in place.      :p

If they fall over in a storm, it seems they would do more damage to your vehicle, your trailer, or someone else's property....than they would protect.

Thoughts?

Robt.

Too many variables to accuratly predict.  If they are properly installed, of high quality and so on they do fairly well.. If you know a truly impressive blow is coming,,, Take the fabric off and stow it.

On the other hand cheaper models may shread, and improperly installed (not properly ancored) may depart entirely.

Thanks, John!

I will have to ask around when I end up in the park.

I live near Tornado Alley...or at least one of the many...

Robt

My insurance carrier had some specific questions about the method of storage when not in use which affect the premium. Since we are fulltime, however, that is not an issue.  8)

That might be a consideration, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom