ALMOST A COWBOY....... KINDA'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seajay

A REAL COWBOY, KIND OF.......

I was starting to get use to horses and cows and the rough life of a cowboy now.  Earlier I had bought me a pair of ''working gloves'' down to Sherman s Store.  You know the kind made from soft leather, yellow, with the pull cord on the back to tighten the cuff.  I could tell by them that time had passed and they started to fit me like second skin on my hands.  The palms were now a dirty brown from the ranees of the horses and the handling of saddles and blankets.  I could saddle my own horse but I was still very confused over ''horse color''.  Lets see,  a strawberry roan, or a bay or a applause  I still had trouble determining which one was what color and they laugh at you when you simply say ''I wanna' ride the brown one today''.............
My fanny was getting tough now and seldom got sore and my jeans were getting that saddle shine on the back side.  I was now pretty comfortable on a horse.  I had learned that, by and large, the horse knew ''cattle'' a lot better than I did.  The horses seemed to understand the temperament of cows and what they were thinking.  It seemed that the horse knew what the cows were going to ''do'' before the cow done it.  When we pushed cattle I noticed the horse watched them intently, kinda like a dog watching sheep.  We would plod along, going slow and letting the cows make their own pace because the Association did not want you to ''run the cows'' lest it cost them weight and money so we generally let them make their own pace.  The horses would follow on behind or on the wings of the herd.  Sometimes cows don?t want to move off the good grass to another location and they will cut back after they have gone some distance.  The horses watch for this and with little or no attention from the rider (me) the horse will spin on a dime to block the cows path.  I hate to admit it but I was left ''sitting on air'' a couple of times when my horse kinda spun out from under me.  I would be riding along, happy as a clam, looking for elk or deer on the mountain and the horse would be watching the cows.  I would be day dreaming and my horse would simply ''slide from under my fanny'' and the ground would catch me.  On those occasions the horse would stop and look around at me with the question in his eyes.....''What the hay are you doing down there fella''.  Booger Red and Gypsy were two that did this but we all got a good laugh out of it at supper.  Art suggested that maybe he should put a ''seat belt'' on my saddle to help hold me on the horse. 
My new hat was finally ''wearing in'' also.  It had settled in to the shape of my head and it was tight but very comfortable.  There was a sweat stain around the band and the brim was dirty from my hands.  One side of the brim was tilted up a little more than the other where I would grab the hat to take it off.  It had a few dings in the crown from being dropped when I would hang it up for the night.  My ''New Hat'' was losing the ''New'' and becoming a work hat like so many out there wear. 
One thing that amazed me is that both the cattle and the horses seemed to know where we were going with little prompting.  I could only believe that they ''knew the way'' so to speak, from one pasture to the next and the direction of travel associated with the time of the seasons as to where they were suppose to go.  I have seen demonstrations where quarter horses can herd cattle like a sheep dog herds sheep.  The rides simply sits in the saddle with his arms folded and the raines of the horse around the saddle horn and the horse does all the thinking and all the work without any seen ''prompting'' from the rider.    Amazing  ?..

The horses we rode were called ''Quarter Horses'' and to the ''smart aces'' reading this that does not mean they ''cost a quarter'' or ''three quarters of the horse is missing''.  Quarter horses are a special breed that have the great ability to seemingly ''think'' and they have a natural herding instinct.  They can go from a slow walk to wide open in a couple of steps and literally turn in half their body length and like I said earlier, ''They can leave you sitting on air if you are not paying attention''.    (been there and done that)  (at least twice, probably more but who is bragging)

I was becoming one with the horse also.  I trusted him to take me across a shallow stream with swift water and a bottom made of slick rocks.  I trusted him to take me up mountains that I would have had difficulty climbing on foot and then down the other side with his rear legs folded under his body and steering with his front legs as we descended mountain sides too steep for me to walk down.  He would simply squat down and over the side we would go.  I noticed that I seldom screamed on the way down now and I could keep my eyes open some of the time.  I would still got a lump in my throat when I would look over his head and down a mountain strewn with large rocks, logs, fallen trees and other debris with a nice ice cold stream at the bottom in case you did not get stopped.  Yes Mother  nature had strewn these things  around to make the ''downhill'' ride more fun..    (yeah sure)...........

I knew that I would miss this place with its horses and a man that I truly liked as a friend and a mentor.  I would miss him for his wisdom and his laugh, his ability to make fun of  you without hurting your feelings and to let himself be the ''butt end of a joke'' on occasion.  I would miss that ''knowing smile'' like a Cheshire cat that had just eaten the canary and his patience with a guy from ''Back East'' and a greenhorn under his care.  I think of him often now and sometimes when I see a pretty sunset I can still see his face in the clouds it seems ?.

Such is life and the memories of an old man remembering when he spent two weeks in Heaven at Taylor Park in the Colorado Rockies ?..
more later........  we move to Union Cow Camp tomorrow..........

Seajay, reminded me of my years in Bear Creek Canyon, my three room school, taking off the green on the horses for the stable at each end of town, swimming in the hole below Robins Nest in water so cold some would never go under. . .  Great times.

SeaJay, I too have enjoyed your stories about the times in Gunnison County.

About Taylor Park: Taylor Park is now mostly developed with housing acreages from TinCup and the Taylor Park Trading Post to the head waters. There is a maintained road all the way up to the end. Cottonwood Pass is still closed in Winter but the Taylor Park Road is kept open from Almont.

I and my sons hunted in Taylor park years ago and my oldest son killed his first Elk near the head of Taylor Park in 1965. The Elk was in such tangled brushy forest that I had to lead two pack horses, (me on foot) to the Elk to load it's quarters and cape. No way could I ride a saddle horse into that tangle. I just let the pack horses pick their own way out with me holding their tails.

One more comment. SeaJay, when you were in Taylor Park, did you know that if you rode your horse on over the upper end of Taylor Park, over the horse trail over the Maroon Bells, you would just drop down into Aspen, Colorado. I have ridden that trail a number of times. It too is one the most scenic areas in Colorado.

Seajay,

I'm no cowboy.  I had a girlfriend who truly was a gifted horsewoman, western style.  So, being the good boyfriend, I said okay, I'll go on a trail ride with you this weekend.  I'd never ridden a horse before and the stable where she kept her horse rented me one.  His name was Old Blue.  Old blue knew every inch of the trail down to the river and back and knew how to make the trek in the one hour time that most people rented him for.  I climbed aboard and away we went.  I was in good hands.  Old Blue took care of me and I was beginning to like this horsey stuff.  Old Blue didn't run.  He didn't hurry.  And in exactly 59 minutes we were back at the stable.  Thank you Old Blue.

Being the good boyfriend, the next weekend I went back again for another trail ride.  Old Blue was out on the trail, I should have waited.  They put me on Jazz.  A LARGE horse, very spirited, but the owner of the stable said no problem, I could handle him.  So off we went.  A few hundred yards from the stable the path turned to the left and my friend, Fat Charlie, who was on my left, wanted to race.  Aww, what the heck, why not.  I kicked Jazz and said something stupid like "Giddyup."  MISTAKE.  At the curve in the road I motioned for Jazz to go left with my reins (I did exactly as I was taught, or so I thought).  Maybe Jazz didn't like my huge butt on his back, I'm not quite sure, but Jazz didn't want to go left.  Jazz went right, I went left.  They had to bring a car from the stable and take me to the hospital because I had injured my right side when I landed.  Jazz stood their looking at me with a grin on his horse face.  My friend Fat Charlie so loved what that horse did to me that he eventually bought Jazz.  I really don't like horse riding.  Tried it.  Got the bruises.  Enough for me for a lifetime.

Rancher Will said:
One more comment. SeaJay, when you were in Taylor Park, did you know that if you rode your horse on over the upper end of Taylor Park, over the horse trail over the Maroon Bells, you would just drop down into Aspen, Colorado. I have ridden that trail a number of times. It too is one the most scenic areas in Colorado.
For what it is worth.  We never went that far up the mountains at the end of the road.  The limit to the area we went to was the old mining town.  as I remember it was on the left side of the dirt road and above timber line.  Some of the most beautifull country I have ever seen .....  Remember this .....  I was up there in 1961 and there was little or no ''civilization'' save the cow boys and Sherman Store.  Willa and me were up there three or four years ago and it had really changed. 
First.  There are two campgrounds up there now.  One is down to the lake and the other is on the hillside above the lake.  Shermans Store is now a big complex with rental cabins, a cafe, horse rental etc etc etc. 
Second......  There is much deveopment around Shermans store and along the river.  My understanding is that the land could not be ''owned'' outright because it is a ''Park'' .....  I heard it could be leased so long as the cabins were not considered '' perminent''.  I remember that they all were all built from wood or were log cabins.  I also remember that there is NO POWER and you have to use solar or wind or generators up there. 
I was truly amazed how it had changed and how it was now ''settled'' so to speak.
The cabin at Pie Plant is still there and pretty much just like it was back in 61..... The exception is that all the outbuildings are gone now as well as the horse corals, tac room etc etc etc.
After much backing up and turning around we finally found Union Cow Camp.  It seems to be ''headquarters'' for the round up.  The only thing ''new'' there was a propane powered ''refer'' and a propane stove and oven. 
My time there is now all memories and seeing it again made me kinda sad.  The ''wild warmpth'' of the places was gone...... Progress I guess.....
We went into Shermans and one of the men remembered Art Price from when they were kids playing on the dirt road out in front of the store.
For anyone wanting to go see the Rockies I would advise a trip to Taylor Park and have a ''look see''.  Just go to Gunniston, turn left toward Almont and stay for a few days.  It is worth the drive and your time ...................................

God bless all who serve this great nation .....cj.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom