EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Work Campers in Western Washington Wanted!  (Read 9405 times)

Bluesky RV

Work Campers in Western Washington Wanted!
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »
I am the manager of a RV park in Western Washington and am looking for a workamper who can specialize in maintenance. Duties include cleaning facilities, maintaining grounds, and responding to camper requests and individual site maintenance. We are at the base of a mountain and are wooded, but still only 1/2 mile from a major freeway for your convenience. Typical work days are M-F, especially in the fall and winter. You will track your hours to cover your space rent, and any hours over that will be paid at $12-15 per hour, DOE. Experience in electrical, plumbing, general construction or landscaping is a plus.

Also looking for office help with reception, reservations, and receiving payments. Outgoing with a caring attitude is a must! Office hours are 9-11am, and 4-6pm M-F and some Saturdays 9-11am. Starting pay $10 per hour, DOE.

Pets OK, some dog breeds restricted. RV must not be older than 10 years, or if close to it, upon approval by manager.

If you are part of a couple (or not, singles OK too!) who fits this description and loves outdoor living or RV-ing, please apply!

Please message me with your name if interested and I will relay additional details.

Serious inquiries only. $35 non-refundable application fee for background check.

Thank you!

donn

• ---
Re: Work Campers in Western Washington Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »
You've got to be kidding, RIGHT?  A 35 dollar application fee!

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »
We workamped for nine years and were never once asked to pay an application fee.  Volunteered locally for Dial-A-Ride and the Veterans Administration.  Both did background checks.  No fee.

Margi

COMer

• ---
  • John & Darla
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »
He had me until the last sentence. 
John & Darla
Home near Erie, PA
Spend half the year with Campers on Mission

M1894

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »
I wouldn't consider it for a couple of reasons.

1.  I have a Motor Home that looks just as new as most 2 year old ones, and it's a 1997. Why would I need a newer one just to get part time employment?

2.  The $35.00 should be at their expanse if they need a background check.

3.  If I am paying for the site, I prefer to be paid for my hours, then I will pay the site fees.

The wife and I have been Park Managers for the U.S.C.O.E since 1997, with no problems. [If my honesty or work ethic is in question. Don't hire me.]

Lee
LEE & PEGGY
1996 BLUEBIRD 40 ft./W Tag
1984 FC35SB Bluebird (Given to eldest son)
1 TeraTrike Rover Recumbent Tricycle (Tadpole Type) (Wife's )
1 Catrike Trail Recumbent Tricycle [Tadpole Type]
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier [Tow]
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

99WinAdventurer37G

• ---
  • Life's a series of experiences, enjoy every one.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »
Any time there is a "application fee" that is a red flag for me.  If he can collect just 10 applications a day, that's $350 a day!  Not a bad revenue on a per day basis for just collecting "Applications."  Sounds like a scam to me.

That is probably their main source of revenue.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G , Ford V-10
2006 Honda VTX 1300S

maverickbbd

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
I would be curious as to which mountain in Wa. state has a major freeway 1/2 mile from it's base.

COMer

• ---
  • John & Darla
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
There is a BlueSky RV park in Issaquah, WA and it is about 1/2 mile from I-90.  Next to Tiger Mountain State Park.
John & Darla
Home near Erie, PA
Spend half the year with Campers on Mission

firedoc

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »
And OP never came back to reply.  Yep sounds like a scam! :-X

bucks2

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »
Who'd want to be in Washington state during the winter? I'm glad I can leave every fall and go someplace warm and dry. The sun will come out again in WA in May for a short stay and then again in mid July. I'm pretty sure $15 per hour isn't going to lure me back.

ken

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »
I would like somebody who runs this forum to track this guy down and prosecute for fraud.  What a sham.
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 09:31:12 PM »
I would like somebody who runs this forum to track this guy down and prosecute for fraud.  What a sham.
Yeah, Tom.  Maybe MI-6 would help. ::)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 10:46:46 PM »
Quote from: Tin man
I would like somebody who runs this forum to track this guy down and prosecute for fraud.

Good luck with that. I'm not aware of anyone who got taken. The one time I spent hours tracking someone down was all for nowt; After wading through the first 8 pages of the FBI's complaint form, I was unable to adequately answer a question on page 9 requiring that I show some large $$$ amount of financial loss.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
Why does it have to be a scam or fraud? Simply because you don't like the climate or terms of employment?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

donn

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »
The OP posted thus almost two months ago!  Can't we simply let it die?

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »
I think that the OP did not reply because he was disgusted with the negative comments in this thread.

I just think that they are careful business men. Nothing points towards a rip-off scheme.

Lighten up... check out their website; nothing fishy there. I am embarrassed over this trend.

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »
It's not obvious that the OP hasn't viewed the replies.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »
The fishy part was the $35 application fee.  Those of us who have workkamped some were immediately suspicious.  We've never, ever, paid an application fee. 

Margi

dave61

• ---
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
I googled blue sky rv and found this link, http://blueskypreston.com/

Looks like a real campground in WA just off the interstate just like the OP said....
2004 B Touring Cruiser 27
Ford E450 V-10
Tampa Bay FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »
The fishy part was the $35 application fee.

Understood Margi. It was stated as being for the background check. Having never workcamped, the only point of reference I had is our SIL just paid $500 for a background check at his new job. $35 sounds like a good deal compared with that  ???

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 03:14:37 PM »
Another little perspective (new math)  $35.00 buys about 9 gallons of fuel. That means about 81miles of travel in an RV.  (roughly speaking)..  Whoopee, better get a Yugo..   ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:19:13 PM by carson »
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »
I've never been asked to pay for any checks a prospective employer might want either, but that doesn't make it a scam.  And it certainly assures that only the really serious will apply!  I recently saw a statistic that said 73% of all job applicants now are subjected to at least a cursory background check (according to the professional society for human resources managers). A sign of the times, I guess.

Background checks can be bought for as little as $20, but you don't get much research for that price.  Probably just a quick check for a public criminal record.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

ironrat

• ---
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
I haven't anything here to indicate a scam. I don't even see where the OP even said what camp ground it was, though one does seem to fit the location the OP indicated but by no means does that show that was the place. I believe that $35 bucks is out of line unless you got the job pending the out come of the back round check.
But really this just seems to not be how or the place for an add like this!
Manuel & Denise
2001 Safari Trek 2830
8.1 WorkHorse
Loma Rica, Calif

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
Twenty two replies and opinions here on the forum, and not one indicating that they replied to the OP, as requested, to further investigate the validity of the offer.

I'll admit that I come down on the more skeptical side, but I'm not as sure as some that this always friendly group is always the most clairvoyant. 
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
The OP's "handle" (Bluesky RV) and the description makes it pretty clear as to which campground it is.

The OP wants serious inquiries only, and I am definitely NOT serious about applying. Not because of the $35, though that would be a negative mark in my evaluation of that place as a potential employer.  I'm sympathetic about the background check and "serious inquiries" statement. We've worked at four different campgrounds and became good friends of the owners of three of them. It's kind of amazing what they have to go through to get  workers who will actually show up as promised and do a reliable job if they do arrive. In only 3 of the 7 years we worked at campgrounds did all the workampers actually show up, stay the season and do they work they agreed upon when they took the job!  One of the campgrounds did a basic background check on the people they planned to extend an offer to as the last step in the hiring process. The campground paid for it themselves, though.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Irover

• ---
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
 :) ;D If I was close enough to them; I believe i would  investigate them more. I don't worry about background checks. I worked for Amazon in 2010-11 and they did the Background and a urine test. I sure am not interested in traveling more than 500 miles to pursue employers who may decide i don't fit in their circle. Been there; done that.
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

sunny225

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
Did anyone ever check this job out?
I see that he hasn't been back since the day he posted this.

THEBigLarry

• ---
  • If a Hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical issue
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »
I think it's odd that the Original Poster, has not responded in any form of fashion.

I would think they would at least defend their position. 
Larry and Loretta Dodd
2007 American Eagle 42' 500 Big Horses
2014 Jeep Rubicon  "LoLa II"
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Living Life at Full Throttle!  
FULL TIME as of Aug 1, 2014.

RV Lyfe

• ---
  • "Freedom Is Never Free"
    • On a 52 Week Vacation.
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
I wouldn't consider it for a couple of reasons.

1.  I have a Motor Home that looks just as new as most 2 year old ones, and it's a 1997. Why would I need a newer one just to get part time employment?

Lee

You know, I have actually had this come up at a place that we rented space at for our trip we are currently on.  Dakota RV Park in Denver requested that no RV's over 10 years old be admitted without approval.  With Cheyenne Frontier Days in the area while we are there they were the only place left that had 2 side by side spots for over 10 days.  We had to give all kinds of information on the condition of our RV?  I mean...seriously?  I have put $10,000 in upgrades into this thing in the last 5 months since I bought it.  Its a 2000 not a 1970!  Could you imagine a hotel requesting you not drive a car over 10 years old to their establishment.  hahaha.  Im sorry sir, we cannot except your 1969 Dodge Charger here....it exceeds our age restrictions.  Oye Vey!!!!

However, now that we have 2500 miles into our trip I have to say....these older ones seam to be chugging along with no problems whatsoever.  And you know what the older RV's have????  The seam to have the most nice, most approachable people out of anyone in the park.  I have had 3x's more conversations and drinks with owners of the 15 year + club than I have with the 2012 42ft Allegro owner.  Of course, they could just be turned off by me drooling over their RV  ;D
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."

Photos - http://jenngreenberg.smugmug.com/
Website - jenngreenberg.com

Hosted by Over The Network