Shakedown Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

I got back in the country on Friday night and we went on our first ever RV trip on Saturday.  Here's the rundown (in somewhat random fashion): 

-Destination:  Johnson Sauk Trail State Park near Annawan IL.  We picked this park because it is about 20 miles from home, so no worries about getting stranded someplace.  Turned out to be an excellent location.  50A electric only site was very nice. Plenty of room in a nice setting overlooking the lake. I was amazed to arrive on a blustery overcast afternoon with temps in the 40s to find that the sites were at least two thirds full.

-Getting there:  Not without its challenges, as I arrived home from Afghanistan to find a dead battery, although the wife had started and run the coach about a month ago.  Got it jumped and took off. Although I thought I had solved the problem, I had the same problem when breaking camp on Monday so I have some more troubleshooting to do. Otherwise, the short drive to the campground was just fine.  DW says I backed into the spot like a pro.

-coach functions:  I was expecting something to go wrong, but was pleasantly surprised.  Furnace worked well, water heater was fine, no electric problems, other than the aforementioned battery problem. I even took a shower and had plenty of hot water and water flow. Very pleased with the coach. 

-My biggest fear:  Dumping. Turned out to be no problem. To be on the safe side, I told the kids they had to use the campground bathroom for "#2". Nonetheless, I now feel confident I'll even be able to handle that part.

-the most important part:  How did everyone enjoy camping?  Amazingly well. The three teenagers got along like I have never seen on a family trip. They went off and explored the woods and just had a great time together. They were so worn out that they slept for about 12 hours on Sunday night.  Can't wait for the next trip (although winter is pretty much upon us now).

All in all, an outstanding entry into the world of RVing.

Welcome to RVing sounds like you had a great first trip. Hope you have many more in the years to come.
Home from Afganistan are you in the armed services?

So happy to hear things went well for you and the family on your first RVing trip.  You all deserve it!  I'll shut up after this, but I just have to thank you one. more. time. for your service to us all. 

Margi

@Billy Bob- Former Air Force.  Now I'm a federal civilian working for the Army.
@Margi- Thanks for your thanks.  :D My "framily" has made me feel overwhelmingly supported. Especially my good friend Seajay who has gone above and beyond in support of our troops.

I glad you were able to get home in time for at least one RV outing before winter and that all went well.

Welcome back and welcome to the RV world. It's great the the family enjoyed the trip.

Thank you for your service.

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom