A pet lovers quandary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark -
you are a pet lover and we can relate. Couple things may help - we had a vet come to our home to give our Scarlet her final shots, first a sedative to relax her, then the last shot. Our dog was 14, and it was time as her kidneys failed. With her on her favorite sheepskin, on our couch and in our arms, she took her last breath. We had called the crematorium, and had set it up for us to bring her in immediately after. so it was one more ride in the Blazer, on her sheepskin, with tears in our eyes. here's a link to a Dogs Prayer and the Rainbow Bridge - always makes me feel a bit better when I read them - I'm sure lots of you here have read these before.
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/dogspryr.htm
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Many thanks to all who replied.  I knew our family wasn't the only one who have had to go through this.  But to hear from you all is comforting.  Thank you.

Thanks for the links joester.  I have seen Rainbow Bridge before but not A Dogs Prayer.  So well written.  I am thinking of having that poem etched onto a mirror and set along side the urns of past beloved pets.

"They fill your heart with love and then they break it."  Seems like there should be some kind of law against that Wendy.  You are so right.  Peggy Sue was a big, fat, rolly polly, black/white cat.  Matter of fact, she looked like she sat in a can of black paint!  All black tail and a big black circle around her butt.  It was hilarious.  She was SO overweight when we got her.  She got her name because being so big and when she walked on your belly to wake you up in the morning for her breakfast, it felt like she had peg legs!  We found ourselves singing the Buddy Holly tune "Peggy Sue".  The name stuck.

Quite a few years, a diet that got her down to a good weight, and a whole bunch of smiles go by.  Then she started acting a little different.  She lost her appetite and just layed around.  Not normal.  Off to the vet.  X-rays showed masses in a few different areas of her abdomen.  Vet says due to her age and the critical areas of a couple of the masses, he didn't think she would survive the surgery.  And if she did, he was certain it wouldn't be long before Peggy Sue would have the same problem again.  We went home without our kitty and waited for the call from the crematory.  Broken hearted again.

I can tell there is a lot of love out there for our pets.  A welcome change of pace compared to most things going on in our world today.  From little ferrets (in my case), to horses (in Castranova's case), and all critters in between.  It's so nice to see so many give back to the critters that gave us unconditional love while with us.

We will see to it Shasta lives out her days on high ground.  She will know that she is loved and will be missed on the last day.  She will forever be remembered when she is gone from this world.  And, if there is any truth to the Rainbow Bridge poem, we will be together again.

Thanks for all of your support and our thoughts are also with all of you.

There has to truth to the Rainbow Bridge. I refuse to believe in a heaven without it. Jake and Rico and Sam are waiting there for us

Wendy

My kitty Black was a found feral cat.  Got her before she was weaned.  The vets have been telling me she has kidney problems from day 1 and likely would die within a year, she is now 17 years old around Thanksgiving.  She is my cat only, doesn't have a lot to do with anyone else.  I took her to the vet about 6 months ago, they tried to put her on a special diet because they said she doen't have long to live.  She wouldn't touch the food.  I started taking her with me when I got the first motorhome, I was worried she was to old to adapt but she has done great.  We are taking her and the dog with us when we take each load to Indiana and they are good little soldiers.

She is laying beside me now just purring like crazy with her eyes covered waiting for me to turn out the lights. If she is ready to go she sure hasn't given me any indicators, she is lively, fur is slick, and she seems healthy to me, but at age 17 I know her life left is limited. She is my little sweetie and I dread the day she really is ready to go.  I will miss her like crazy after so many years, she is just part of the family.

Our dog BJ is 9, he too has been healthy but he has a lump down by his genitali I've got to have looked at.  Couple of years ago vet thought was fatty tumor but its getting bigger so I need to have it rechecked. I am hoping that's all it is.  He is another found animal and the best natured dog ever.  He LOVES traveling with us.  I hope he too has quite a few more years.  Pets just seem to know they have a special place in our hearts.  Mine are both muchly loved, not sure muchly is a real word. Hope they both have long long lives.

I have been fortuante, I really haven't spent much on the pets for illnesses.

PatrioticStabilist said:
I have been fortuante, I really haven't spent much on the pets for illnesses.

It's not the money.  You get much more from them than the dollars spent on them.

Best of luck with Black and BJ.

Something with a soul as beautiful as our dogs and cats (and whatever pet you have) surely deserves a heaven.  They deserve it probably more than several of us humans.  I truly believe that all of my much loved and adored pets that are no longer walking down here with me are walking, playing and just having a most wonderful time in animal heaven.  For me, I hope that their little faces are the first ones I see when I pass. 
I comfort myself, whenever I loose one of my dearest, best 4 legged friends, I'm thinking that they have left me because they had their turn to have all my love and care but there is another one who needs me more.  And you know that has been the way most of the time.  Shortly after I loose one I hear of some poor soul who just needs a good home.  And it starts all over again.
They bring so much joy and love in our lives and they don't ask for much in return. 

ruthandken-----

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Bright eyes are intent. An eager body quivers. Suddenly your pet begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, legs moving faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

A humorous question...
Over the years that we have lost pets, when I get to the Rainbow Bridge, will my travelers insurance cover injuries sustained by the stampede?  ;D

A joyous day!

Just in case anyone is interested, it's been just over a month since Shasta's diagnosis.  Her surgery wound is not healing as it should.  Daily care is needed and she hates it with a passion!  But, she is tolerable of it.

Lately, she has been losing control of her hind quarters a bit.  Falls down for no apparent reason.  Drinks water like it's going out of style!  Appetite is hit or miss.  Sleeps alot too.

She used to almost run down the steps at our stick house to follow me downstairs into the mancave.  Just to be with me during the day and check things out.  Today, it was a task.  She made it two steps, looked back at me with a "I don't think I can do it, dad." look on her face.  I helped her back to the top of the stairs.  I could tell that it was not where she wanted to be.  I'm thinking the downhill trend is beginning.  The vet says he can only prolong the inevitable (best case scenario) and to do whatever to makes her happy.  We are doing just that.

Don't mean to be a downer to anyone.  I just though someone might be curious how Shasta is doing.

Thanks for the update on Shasta. Sorry the news isn't better. We've been thru this and we're crying with you. Just enjoy the time you have left with her.

Hugs
We dy

I'm sorry to hear that Shasta isn't doing well. You said that the stairs are no longer a friend to her; you may want to put a baby gate across the top to keep her from trying to go down them on her own. I speak of this only through experience.....God Bless you and your Wife. You are special people.

I am so sorry you are heading down this road with Shasta.  Bless you for taking in the rescues.
Thinking of you, your wife and Shasta.

denmarc--Our AAA homeowners policy does as long as someone continues to pay the premium after our death.  I called Medicare and they don't.  Probably you could buy some kind of stampede insurance from a broker in Texas or Oklahoma.

wackymac said:
denmarc--Our AAA homeowners policy does as long as someone continues to pay the premium after our death.  I called Medicare and they don't.  Probably you could buy some kind of stampede insurance from a broker in Texas or Oklahoma.

Took me a minute reading your post to figure out what you were pertaining to without a quote.  Then I remembered my previous post.  Thanks wackymac!  I just got home from work and enjoyed the giggle.

Thanks to you all for the thoughts and prayers.  Don't get me wrong though.  Shasta is still in good spirits.  She just has good and bad days.  Yesterday, not so good.  The wife informed me after I told her how the day went that she has been noticing a few things also.  She is going to get in touch with our vet for another possible checkup to see just where we are with Shasta.  Right now we are spoiling her rotten.  She is eating better vittles than we do!  She did eat good yesterday for dinner and I thought seriously about pushing her off to one side of her bowl so I could get my face in there too!  That would be one for Youtube, right?

Seriously, I would be glad to keep you all informed if you like.  I realize this thread is looking like a blog and that was not my intention.  If there is a problem, just let me know.  I just knew there had to be a bunch of family pets out there that jumped into the RV as we all did to go see the USA or hit the campsite.  But the day comes when the little buggers can't jump anymore.

I also knew all good things come to an end.  I just wondered how you all dealt with it?

A sad note.

This past weekend seemed to be a downhill trend with Shasta.  Luckily, the weather was beautiful and she was able to spend much of it outside with us.  She loved to just be there beside us laying in the grass.  Even though she knew I was not having a good time picking up her "land mines" before I mowed the grass and picked up the fallen leaves for the last time this year!  I still think she was giggling the whole time, but I can't prove that.

Over the past weekend, we noticed she wouldn't eat and she was having more trouble controlling her hind legs while walking.  She also appeared very droopy.  Not the perky dog we once knew.  The DW called the vet.  Apparently, the vet gave the DW his personal cell number if she felt it necessary to call him (I was unaware). 

Our "puppy" had an appointment at 11:15 EST this morning.  Test were taken.  The cancer reappeared on her spleen.  The decision was made that she had been through enough.  She is now waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge.

Many thanks for the thoughts and prayers.  The wife and I are going to take some time to accept everything that has happened in the past couple of months and then see what happens.  More that likely, we will be looking around for another rescue to take into our home.  Such a bittersweet slice of life.

denmarc said:
More that likely, we will be looking around for another rescue to take into our home. 
Sorry for your loss. That was my plan...but after a day and a half I told the wife to see if Safe  Harbor had any Min-pen.  You can read the rest of the story here. http://www.safeharborprisondogs.com/main.asp  (BOOMER HAS THE SWEETEST PERSONALITY EVER!)

Sorry for this update on Shasta. I know what you're going thru (boy, do I know) and shed some tears for you all. Also gave Gordon an extra hug. Mike wanted to wait after we lost Sam, our chocolate lab, but I couldn't stand the motorhome without a dog there so Gordon came to live and travel with us a week after we lost Sam. In fact, we picked up Gordon and Sam's ashes on the same day. Seemed to make things easier. I bet Shasta is rooting for you to let another goofy needy rescue into your lives.

Hugs
Wendy

You have my deepest sympathy; both yourselves and your dog.  I've been where you are too many times.  Some peoples' answer is to never have another.  I wonder how many manage to pull that off?  Not many I wouldn't think.  They need us almost as much as we need them.

Other day my Tibby (Tibetian Spaniel + 1000 other breeds) ate a big hole in one of my seat cushions.  It didn't take me long to take him off the short list of what to have for supper.  I love him after all and what is a slightly uneven seat cushion stacked up against that?  I probably left him in the motorhome a little (lot?) too long and he got bored.  My fault not his!!

I am truly sorry.  Nothing I can say can even start to make it right.

Dan Nelson

Back
Top Bottom