2.7L vs 3.0L diesel additive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RetiredJohn

I know there is an additive on the newer (2008+) 3.0L Mercedes diesels but I'm getting conflicting info on how much that really costs. While looking at a 2012 model the dealer tells me the added cost is minimal but based on an average driver of 15,000 miles it adds only about $14/year. However I found a nice clean 2006 (2.7L) unit at another dealer and he tells me that having the 2.7L and not having to add the additive would save me "hundreds" of $/year.

What's the real facts?.....and thanks, I'm getting closer to decisions here.  :-\

You're talking about Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) which is used in virtually all newer diesel engines regardless of brand to reduce nitrous oxide (NOx) emissions to meet the newest standards. The car will have a separate tank for the fluid which is metered in as needed to the fuel system. Depending on how you buy the fluid it can be an expensive additive or a reletively minor cost.

A google search will give you as much or as little detail as you want. This site http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w166-m-class/1627847-ad-blue-def-fluid-reset.html looks like as good a source of info as you'll find.

Hopefully this new system will last longer than the trap oxidizers they used in the 80's. The only good part of those was that MB recognized it was a design nightmare and they warranted the trap oxidizer for the life of the vehicle regardless of ownership changes. My 85 SD had it's last one changed free of charge at 187,000 miles. The car was rear ended and totaled a few months later.

If you've never owned an MB before, you're in for a delightful experience. I'm using my 5th S class now whenever I'm home. I just wish they could be towed 4 down.

Ken

If you buy DEF in gallon jugs it can be fairly expensive, maybe $6-7/gal, but purchased at the pump at a truck stop it is a less than a gallon of diesel fuel (about $2.75/gal). You don't need to buy the Mercedes brand either - any API-certified DEF will work fine.

Expect to use DEF at the rate of 2-3% of the diesel fuel you consume. If you use 1000 gal of diesel per year, expect to buy somewhere between 20 and 30 gallons of DEF, which would be about $150 worth at todays single gallon prices. So I don't think you will "save $hundreds". But you will save.

Thanks for all the suggestions/input.  I lost out on getting the 2.7L I was looking at, indecision loses out!  I'll keep looking for the "right one" in either engine size, doesn't seem to be a big issue either way.

RetiredJohn said:
I know there is an additive on the newer (2008+) 3.0L Mercedes diesels but I'm getting conflicting info on how much that really costs. While looking at a 2012 model the dealer tells me the added cost is minimal but based on an average driver of 15,000 miles it adds only about $14/year. However I found a nice clean 2006 (2.7L) unit at another dealer and he tells me that having the 2.7L and not having to add the additive would save me "hundreds" of $/year.

What's the real facts?.....and thanks, I'm getting closer to decisions here.  :-\

The dealer that told you this is full of crap ... unless you are driving 100's of thousands of miles a year. I have the 2011 Mercedes Sprinter that uses the DEF. I am finding on average that it needs to be filled every 6000-7000 kilometres (3800-4400 miles). I have been purchasing mine at Walmart and it has cost around $11.00 for a 2 1/2 gallon container. I have saved my last two containers and will try the bulk purchase the next time as suggest by other posters. It's not really that big a deal ... at least for me.

And I repeat my assessment of the dealer that told you that it would cost 100's of dollars a year. He just wants to sell you the vehicle he has in stock.

Back
Top Bottom