Blue Ox Break Buddy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bcook

I have a 3 year old break buddy unit that I use about 6 times a year.  When I went to use over the Columbus Day weekend it did not build up pressure, just runs (was fine 2 weeks earlier)!  Wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong?  Help needed!  Hate to have to buy a new one.
Bob in Mass

Is it the Brake Buddy product or something similar from Blue Ox? Brake Buddy is not a Blue Ox product; I think Blue Ox calls their portable brake the Patriot. 

But in either case, contact the factory. They can rebuild it for you for less than a new one.  If it is a Blue Ox product, there may be an authorized dealer in your area that can handle returning it for repairs, or maybe even find and fix the problem for you.

Gary,
Thanks for your reply.  I will double check it tonight, but I am 99% sure it says Blue Ox on the housing, I am calling it a Break Buddy, (is that a different brand)?
Bob in Mass

Brake Buddy is a similar brake in a box, but not made by Blue Ox.

Yes, Brake Buddy is a separate and distinct brand of braking unit, from a different company than Blue Ox  (Brake Buddy is made by a division of Hopkins Mfg).  "Brake Buddy" is analogous to "Coke" - they are the brand name that is all but synonymous with the type of product.

I believe the Blue Ox product was called Apollo,  However it is entierly possible somebody stuck a Blue-Ox decal on a non-blue ox product. 

Things like that happen.

Pretty sure that, ultimately, regardless of who made it, they work the same way.  Motor turns on, air pressure builds to a specific PSI, braking motion causes the air pressure to activate a cylinder that presses the brake pedal.

My initial thought is that there is probably a seal gone bad in/around the air tank so you can't build pressure, considering you're saying that the motor does run.  You might be able to luck into someone who can rebuild your typical air compressor who can give it a lookover.  For all intents and purposes, that's pretty much what it is, just with other bells and whistles that make it work under braking.

No doubt you've checked, but is the pressure setting turned up (on the gauge)?  Don't know if that would produce the symptoms you have, if turned all the way down?

And the newer Blue-Ox units are called Patriot.

From other posts I gather BLue-Ox does have a problem with air leaks (Pump not turning off) on some of their models..  Suggestion is call Blue-Ox.

They have a very very good customer service reputation, I can attest to it myself at least on their tow bars..  However as I understand they do not make the brake systems,  Just sell them.

We have the Blue Ox Break system, we had a simalar problem and sent back to Blue Ox, they rebuild and will send back to you.  Great Company

When my older Blue Ox Break system had problems. I was also very impressed with the Blue Ox customer service. They were very helpful, after checking the Sn. number I was informed that my unit was still under warranty. The turn around time was fast also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom