OK to Leave Refrigerator On?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike in Texas

When not in use, I park my RV near my house plugged into shore power with the refrigerator on and the A/C not running. The outside temperature reaches the mid-90s and the interior of the coach about the same at mid day. A friend who is also an RVer told me this week that my refrigerator will be damaged if left on in those conditions. Is that true?

I don't see how.  If that were the case, we wouldn't be doing any RVing in hot weather.

The only possible damage to the fridge I can see from operating in 90 degree heat is to the latch, seals and hinges.
(read on)

From opening and closing it time and time and time again when you go for "a cold one"

(Normal wear of course)

Oh, and possible a bent shelf from all those cold ones sitting atop it :)

They should work just fine at 90-100 degrees, well within design specs, Go right ahead it should work fine

I believe an rv refrigerators life (cooling unit) is prolonged by keeping it plugged in to keep the fridge operational when the rv is not in use.  I follow this practice in my 98 coach and the fridge continues to work as expected.

Steve said:
I believe an rv refrigerators life (cooling unit) is prolonged by keeping it plugged in to keep the fridge operational when the rv is not in use.? I follow this practice in my 98 coach and the fridge continues to work as expected.

I agree with Steve.  I have a friend who works in RV repair and he said they recommend leaving them plugged in as the "on again/off again" treatment is harder on the unit than leaving it running full time.

What is the breaking point on that practice though? If you are going to be taking your rig out once a month, I assume leave it running, but if you are planning to store it for several months, is it better to go ahead and power it off and air it out?

I normally leave ours on Propane when stored.  that way it's always raring to go.  However presently, I have it shut down with the doors open and all power off cuase it will knowing sit for 2 months or better.

shmuck2002 said:
What is the breaking point on that practice though? If you are going to be taking your rig out once a month, I assume leave it running, but if you are planning to store it for several months, is it better to go ahead and power it off and air it out?

I think it is an economy thing.... Takes time and enegery (Both electrical/gas and elbow type enegery) to clean it out and shut it down at the end of a trip, if you are going out again in just a few weeks,,,,, Easier to keep it cold and active.  But if you are stroing it for the season (months) by all means shut it down and clean it out.

Just now I'm between seasons,, New season starts... Well, next week (for me) so all that's cold is the portable refrig/freezer, it's got a 5 pack of Diet RC in it (was a six but I drank one) nicely chilled.

I also got one of my radio antennas tuned up today (I'm a ham, finally got all the proper connectors and found the metere, 1.2 to one SWR or less in the desired area.. Good, it's a full wave on 70cm)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom