Jeep Liberty Towing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aww thank you for that, Frizlefrak!  I always want to know what you started with!  That is interesting to me.  You know this is just what I think my  husband is thinking since a neighbor just passed away with lung cancer.  I really think it put a fire under his tail, so to speak.  He doesnt want to wait!  So okay, long as we dont look like that video of that tiny car chugging up the hill (and back down) with a too big for it trailer! lol
Hubby drives a small Dodge truck (cant remember the name at this second) to work, so the Jeep is the bigger vehical.  I guess it will have to do for now. 

Yep, life is short, play hard.  And don't discount a pop up....there are some VERY nice popups on the market these days, and the Liberty will handle most of them with no problem.  The are also quite spacious once opened up.  And they are very easy to resell when you're ready to move up.

Our first one was a long way from fancy, but we sure had a ball with it.  There's an RV for nearly everyone.  :)

LOL, I can say the same thing, that our first will be a far cry from fancy!  :)  I would love to find a clean used one, really.  Nothing is out of consideration, so we'll see!  We are headed out at 7 a.m. to hit a couple more rv dealers, tomorrow.  I'll let you know what we find.  :)

Thanks Gizmo! :)

This is confusing, and tiring!  We found a 2013 Rockwood mini lite 1901 with a great bathroom, and great weight,  2785 dry weight, single axle, and they SAID it doesnt need a weight distributing hitch..  Do you agree?

Then we seen a 2013 Funfinder x 185 fds, weight 3040.

Both in around 15,000. 

We seen a lot, but those are the two we seemed to like the best.  It's almost like if we could build our own.  One has something we want but not the other. 

A class III hitch receiver can carry up to 500lbs of tongue weight without a WD hitch, but the Liberty may sag in the rear with that much weight.  That (roughly) 3000 lbs of trailer dry weight will put about 300 lbs on the hitch, but as you load the trailer that number goes up, so i would estimate 400 lbs to be on the safe side.

The purpose of the WD hitch is to level out the car suspension once the trailer weight is on the hitch.

I agree with Gary that you will probably need a weight distributing hitch AND you definitely want a good sway control. I had a friction sway bar on my only trailer and it was OK, but I had a 3/4 ton extended van and was towing a 27 ft HR Presidential Trailer with 900lbs of tongue weight.

ken

+3 to what Gary said, spot on.  I have a similar tow vehicle carrying the same tow capacity, towing a little less than what you are looking at and the wd distribution component makes a big difference.  I also installed Rubicon Express Extreme duty rear leaf springs which really helped with the demands of towing.  This all can be confusing, but you are doing the right thing by asking questions and learning.

Gizmo, you all are teaching me a lot...  I just hope you dont get tired of the questions.  :)

Thank you, Gizmo, Ken & Sheila and Gary.

Let me ask you your opinon on how much underneath cargo space do  we need?  That one above that I mentioned I really liked, had a great kitchen and bathroom, but next to none underneatch space.  All I can think of needing is a couple chairs and maybe a pooper scooper..  what else do you carry underneath?
Thanks again for your patience with me.

I have a 2004 Jeep Libery, but I would not consider towing anything bigger than an R-Pod with it , and one of the smaller ones at that.  An A-liner type pop up would be even better.  If you are just going weekending and vacationing with it, the smaller the better with your vehicle and if you want space get an add-on screen room.  Most of your time will be spent outdoors anyway.  JMHO

gwcowgill, the funfinders or the cruisers seem to have a lot more space underneart, than that small rockwood I mentioned, that has like none!  But if the inside has storage, what would I need to put underneath besides the chairs, really?

uberwitch, I think there may be a difference in the 04s and the 12s.  I really wish they could have gave the 12s another name because they are not the same.  This one is rated 5500 to tow.  Do you know what your's is rated?  Still, I see what you are saying.  Thank you for that. 

I dont think we will really camp in these, but just travel.  My husband calls them a bed on wheels.  He just wants to drive!  I think when he retires we will stay out more, so then is when we plan on buying bigger.  Does that change any of your opinions of what I should be considering? 

Paws, When my children were young, we used to carry chairs, beach equipment, charcoal grill and a lot of misccellaneus stuff that made camping fun. It all depends on what you want. I have a MH and even with it, bay space is at a premium as I carry fishing poles, tools, charcoal and gas grills, chairs, tables and stuff we pickup along the way. We leave home with space but we are full coming back after 2-3 months on the road. The real answer is what do you need to be comfortable on the road and how long are you going for.

Wow, you made me really think there, gwcowgill!  There is only my husband and myself now, and our pets..but you are right, I'd end up wanting to pick things up I'm sure.  It just seems we hadnt found the right one yet.  With the tiny size we have to deal with it sure is hard. 
Thank you again, gwcowgill!

I can understand. lol  Well, we are a tiny two-some here..  You are blessed to have the family!  :)

What are you going to do when you get somewhere? Just go to the Walmart? Do you fish? Play golf?  You probably want to carry some toys...

Stuff many people want:

Lawn chairs, a BBQ grill (plus an LP bottle or charcoal for it), maybe a small side table or two, maybe some camp fire wood, a table cloth for the park picnic table, ???

And what about the stuff for the rv, e.g. water & sewer hoses and electric cords?

More good tips, Gary!  We just plan on pulling over for the nite, not really camping out, not until retirement.  Like for instance, we are planning on a Fl trip to my brothers, so we will pull over on a one nite stop to get there.  But I am seeing we do need cargo space, so that means the rockwood 1901 is out!  And I really liked it's bathroom the best!  :(

Arent the sewer hoses in their own spot?  What ele cords do I need?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom