EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: ANSI certification???  (Read 2771 times)

uberwitch

• ---
ANSI certification???
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
The campground that I want to use as a home base wants an ANSI certification or some kind of RV sticker showing it was converted professionally.  Since I bought this bus used, any thoughts on how I can get one?  The owner has been parking in a KOA and other campgrounds for years, so I never thought this might be a problem
Lou, Lin & Caitlin
Yogi & BooBoo
1987 converted MCI Bus - "Big Red Bus"

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
Re: ANSI certification???
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »
I believe you will need to go to the company that done the conversion.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

uberwitch

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:37:06 PM »
the conversion was done by an individual
Lou, Lin & Caitlin
Yogi & BooBoo

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »
You may have a big problem. Contact the ANSI people and see if they have a procedure that you may obtain the necessary forms. Getting the engineering drawings and such may be a biggie.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:35:20 PM »
Move on, the aggravation isn't worth it. This is a ploy to weed out home grown conversions, ANSI does not apply to motor vehicles.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »
ANSI does not apply to motor vehicles.

The RVIA is the ANSI standard body for American-built Recreational Vehicles. They issue certifications for nearly all US factory-built RVs and all 50 states accept their certificate as adequate proof of safe design, i.e. that the vehicle/house conforms to applicable safety standards such as NFP 1192. Moststates require that certification for new RVs sold in the state. RVIA sells the certificate sticker for about $20 after proof of compliance is provided, but I suspect that getting the rig inspected and showing proof that all safety standards have been met is probably more expensive than is practical for a home-converted coach. But you can contact the RVIA and ask.

I would move to another park - this question is not likely to come up often, if ever again. Unless, that is, your rig looks unsafe for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:49:39 PM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »
My suspicion is that the requirement is an attempt to weed out the Partridge Family conversions and I have seen more than one, but not in private campgrounds.  8)
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Wanderlust RV Park, Eureka Springs, AR

uberwitch

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
Yeah I think it is too, and I can understand it, very small campground, only 20 spaces so if something went up in flames no one could get their rigs out.......Ok I will contact the RVIA when I get a chance.  We will be parking on the farm for the month of November anyway to finalize the interior cosmetics.

Thanks for the info
Lou, Lin & Caitlin
Yogi & BooBoo

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »
By the way, the first hurdle is to buy a copy of the RVIA's standards for RVs, a fairly hefty book and not cheap. They sell the standards manual and its not cheap. And it may not be all that clear as to what standards apply to a re-model vs a new RV, since RVIA normally deals only with newly manufacturered rigs.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network