1999 vectra grand touring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckm27

Looking at one seems to be a reasonable price @ 19500. It would be my first purchase and mostly for races and the odd camping weekend throughout the year. My question is what should I be looking at when i go to inspect this unit befor spending my hard earned money. It has 33000 miles on it and a stone chip in the windshield as far as i can see from pics. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not much info in your note but one top dollar item to check would be the tires. Any tires over about 7 years should be replaced, regardless of apparent good condition. Use the DOT date moulded into the tire to determine age (See the library above for more info and interpretation of dates.)

NADA would be one spot to use for price guidelines http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

canuckm27 said:
It has 33000 miles on it and a stone chip in the windshield as far as i can see from pics. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does your state have vehicle inspections? If so, will a stone chip be a problem in passing the annual inspection? Depending on whether the windshield is one-piece or  two-pieces, it can cost $1000-$2000, or more, to replace if the chip is old and cannot be repaired.

R

I purchased a 1998 Vectra Grand Tour that was built on a Chevy P-30 chassis. Drove it 65K miles before trading on my '04 Meridian. The 1999 Vectra Grand Tour was built on the "new" wide-stance Chevy chassis, had a 4-speed tranny. I thought it was the best looking coach around, and attempted to trade up but people that knew said that fuel mileage was terrible. I don't have any experience, but it might be something for you to consider.

Fuel mileage depends largely on the height and shape of the coach body (and the speed you drive) and relatively little on variations in the chassis. However, a 6 speed transmission is generally a plus and highly desirable on larger/heavier coaches.

A "star" stone chip can be repaired inexpensively and in most cases is almost unnoticeable, but a spider crack or other long crack needs replacement. And some states have rigid inspection rules about chips that may interfere with the driver's view. Best that you check that out very carefully!

Gary RV Roamer said:
A "star" stone chip can be repaired inexpensively and in most cases is almost unnoticeable, but a spider crack or other long crack needs replacement.

I had a "star" rock chip with no running cracks in my car windshield which I let go for several months before having two glass shops look at it. They both told me that they would not try to fix it because it had accumulated dirt and they said it was not possible to entirely clean it out so the filler could be properly injected. I opted to have the windshield replaced. Safelite gave me a couple of clear adhesive "patches" to put over any future "stars" to keep dirt and moisture out until I could get them fixed.

R

A little more info from communicating back and forth! Tires and brakes are in excellent condition as per dealer but I would inspect these for sure. Generator did not start so not absolutely sure about what that entailed as I asked for more of an explanation. I asked for a better picture of the stone chip on the windshield so i could show my safety inspection guy the picture. I'm in Canada we have pretty stringent safety laws in Ontario. I appreciate all the info and quick responses. I'm doing tons of research and this forum has helped immensely.

A generator that doesn't run has the potential to be a VERY expensive repair. I would insist that it be in running condition when I took delivery, i.e. make the dealer absorb the risk rather than you.

After multiple emails I have decided aganst this purchase as he was very ambiguious about the genset and some other inquiries I had. He stated that he is selling as is and thats why he priced it the way he did he does not have time to go over it with a fine tooth comb. So onto more research and see whats out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom