A Sony Bravia Color TV That Is Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

Moderator Emeritus
As someone once told me, you don?t have to understand how a color TV works to enjoy it. Well, that might not be exactly the case.

One of the TV?s in our new coach is mounted in a cabinet with a fireplace that requires over three hours of disassembly to get to the back of the TV. I don?t need to hear what a lousy design that is; I get that.

That?s a problem because that TV (Sony Bravia 40?) will play a DVD through the surround system with perfect sound and color. The DirecTV satellite feed, however, has a buzz in it, and the color is off. Red does not display, and the rest of the colors are washed out. I have not a clue about what cabling is attached to which inputs on the TV because I cannot get to them.

Since there is an A/V controls cabinet with splitters, DVD, and satellite receiver where I can get to it, I am hoping the problem is with the way someone hooked up the satellite receiver. All the equipment except the DirecTV was in the coach from the factory.

What I am asking is what might be the common issues to chase with such symptoms in this setup? Do the symptoms indicate a specific cabling issue? Anybody want to take a guess?

I gotta start somewhere besides dismantling the whole wall section; I would like to believe the TV itself is not the issue.

Inquiring Minds

How does the DirecTV receiver connect to the TV?
  • Coax
  • S-Video+audio
  • Composite video+audio
  • HDMI
  • Component video(RGB)+audio
The missing red might indicate a loose component video plug.

My wild guess would be it is hookedup with a video component cable which has the three colors red,green and blue and then the audio cable has red and white and what's happened is the red video and red audio are reversed so the buzz in the sound is the red video info trying to make sound and the lack of red is because its an audio signal not video.

Easy to test, if there are component cables.  Switch the red plugs at the DirecTV receiver since you can't get to the TV inputs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom