BC Ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyAdventurer

Has anybody taken the BC Ferry system on the 15-hour trip south (inland passage) from Prince Rupert BC to Port Hardy BC (northern end of Vancouver Island)?  If so, did you get the reserved seating? Or a cabin?  Was it desirable to have the reserved salon seating or a cabin? Worth the price?  I'm planning to take  that ferry trip to avoid the long drive south...just to save some time. We'll be driving our 25' Itasca Reyo and taking it on the ferry.  Susan J (saltyadventurer)

Never been on the BC Ferries but have taken the Alaska Ferries. For 15 hours I wouldn't think you would need a cabin unless it's at night and you want to get some sleep. You're not allowed on the vehicle deck while the ferry is underway.

If you are towing a car, unhook and book each vehicle separately. I know on the Alaskan Ferries two shorter vehicles cost less than the long combination of MH plus car.

Thanks for the advice, snowbird! We're not taking a toad...we use our 35' Itasca Reyo (Mercedes diesel) as our car. Works well, easy to handle, very quick to hook up and unhook.

I got us a cabin for that trip, by the way...not that much extra expense, and lets us stretch out and nap comfortably in a quiet place for part of the trip.  I always find the chairs in salons quite distracting and I get antsy after a while...I thought the cabin ould be worth it.

Correction on my last post about getting a cabin on the trip from Prince Rupert to Part Hardy...I actually had to wait until BC Ferries had the 2013 July-October schedule up and running in order to make reservations. I called late today and made the reservation. I was planning on going to Port Hardy on Aug 12, but the ferry isn't heading south that day...had to go with Aug 13. And the ferry makes an extra stop that day, so arrival time is 11:30 pm. When I asked about  cabin for the trip, the very nice agent suggested reserved seats in the Aurora Lounge, instead...recliners, with great views, located inside but at the very front of the ferry. Much less expensive...the perfect answer!  Unfortunately, the BC Ferries offer a Senior Discount, just not to Americans. You have to be a BC resident to get the discount. The total cost is high, at $1409.50 (Canadian), but the trip saves us a huge number of miles and hours of driving, and allows us to drive down Vancouver Island and end up in Port Angeles, WA, without being exhausted and road-weary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom