Windows 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eliallen said:
They are working on generating a new key.
Correction, they did not generate a new key. Just remote in and did their magic.

I thought that the DVD/CD were copy protected, and never tried to copy. Makes sense now, and I may have trouble if I have  to reinstall it.

Windows DVDs are all alike, at least the consumer editions are.  All that's different is the license key included in the packaging.  In fact, the Windows 7 DVD includes all versions but which one is actually installed is based on the license key.  I doubt that Windows 8 is any different seeing as you can download the complete installer and burn it to a DVD or flash drive yourself for installation.  When you make the purchase at the Microsoft web site, you get a license key that's unique to your purchase, but the media is all the same.  If you have to reinstall to the same hardware, the same license key should work.  If not, a call to MS will sort it out, as you just did.

Windows DVDs are not copy protected.  You can download the ISO files from Microsoft and burn your own copies if you like.  The consumer versions sold in stores are also not protected, they are all identical.  The only difference is the license key that is printed on the license page in the package or that you receive on the MS web site.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I ordered a Win8 update disk at a good price in the pre-release sale and expect it to arrive today. Figured I would give it a try on my old XP desktop, which is due for some upgrades this winter anyway.

Hi Gary:  Just read carefully.  If you are not already aware, Windows8 will not migrate any of your programs or data or settings during update from an XP system.  Window Vista to Windows 8 will copy your data and settings during the upgrade and from Windows 7, all your data and current programs and settings will be migrated(if they are compatible with W8).  If there is anything on your XP Machine you want to keep, make a backup image or at least back up any data you want to keep.  Depending on your knowledge, you could make a new partition and do a clean install of Windows 8 to keep the XP Operating System in a dual boot situation, loosing nothing.

If you plan on upgrading to W8, Windows 8 Media Center is not include but you can get a free key here until  until January 31, 2013, :  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs.

Hi again Gary:
Sorry but I mis-spoke yesterday when I said "If you are not already aware, Windows8 will not migrate any of your programs or data or settings during update from an XP system."

Apparently, Windows 8 will save the data in your "User(s) folder(s), in the Windows.old Folder it creates on your drive.  Sorry about that.  A disk image is still the best because you can then load whatever you want (excluding registered programs) back in from there.

If you don't have one, the free program "Macrium Reflect" works quite well.  I use Acronis True Image, and you can get a trial copy of that.

Gord 

Ned said:
Windows DVDs are not copy protected.  You can download the ISO files from Microsoft and burn your own copies if you like.  The consumer versions sold in stores are also not protected, they are all identical.  The only difference is the license key that is printed on the license page in the package or that you receive on the MS web site.

However you need to be careful to match the type of ISO to the proper key.  A MS key will not activate and OEM ISO (or disk), and a MS volume license will fail if you have a MS retail version ISO (for example).  This is also true with Win7.

All true, but it's unlikely anyone here will be using a MS volume license key or OEM ISO and not understand the requirements.  I was addressing the consumer versions that most people will have to deal with.

I was envisioning someone needing to re-install (for whatever reason) on their Gateway (for example) and using an image provided by a friendly travelling neighbor who has a Dell (for example) and wondering why it will not activate and getting caught in a round robin tech circle...  ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom