Solar Install on 2003 Adventurer 38G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Hilley

Finally finished the solar install. Started with mounting the panels in November 2011 and the controller panel in January 2012. Three Kyocera 135 watt panels, combiner box on roof, 10 gauge cable between panels and combiner, 2 gauge cable through refrigerator vent to basement compartment behind door. Morningstar 45 amp PWM solar charge controller with remote panel, Samlex 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with remote panel and 30 amp transfer switch. Trimetric 2020 and Tristar remote panel mounted on panel installed at end of kitchen cabinet next to load center where rechargeable vacuum was. Also added the Trik-L-Start to the panel to monitor from inside. Used 2/0 to connect the inverter to battery bank with cable restraints into battery bank box.

Attachments

• Panels on Roof.jpg
    Panels on Roof.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Combiner Box and Feed into Refrigerator Vent.jpg
    Combiner Box and Feed into Refrigerator Vent.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Solar Controller - Transfer Switch - Inverter.jpg
    Solar Controller - Transfer Switch - Inverter.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Feed to Battery Compartment.jpg
    Feed to Battery Compartment.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Feed Thru Floor.jpg
    Feed Thru Floor.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 81
  • Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 84
Hello John,

From charge controller, did you went directly to the sine inverter (like a grid inverter) without using banks of batteries ?

Also, I have read professional installers and folks using the 3M VHB double sided tape instead of drilling holes on the roof to secure the solar panel mounts.

No, I went from the charge controller to the battery with 2 gauge cable and then from the battery to the inverter with 2/0 cable and a 250 amp fuse. I used aluminum angle with T&B TBT20 between the angle and roof for adhesion and water proofing. I also put three screws through each angle.

Good job John, thanks for the write-up.  I haven't boondocked with our solar since the install this summer, I need to play around with that.

Oh, I saw an amazing 17 amps from our two 145 watt panels a month or so ago - close to the maximum of the panel's rated output  :).

Hi John,
just came across this. How did the panels hold up. Also why the transfer switch, what else besides the solar is hooked up to itor is that for your inverter.
Thanks
Allan

Back
Top Bottom