Windshield Replacement Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Hey All,
We are having our windshield replaced and just wanted to ask those in the know...does it have to sit for a few days before we can drive it?  We are having some things repaired at a dealership an hour away and are going to have the windshield done at their location.  The guy was going to go and do it on the last day, but I was thinking that maybe it should sit a few days first before we drive it.

Thanks in advance, you guys and gals always give us the best advise!

Mikie

We had ours replaced at the Forrest City Winnebago factory during a DNR.  They told us to drive back to our site about 400 yards and let it set for a couple of days.  We had no problems with the new windshield.

Thanks for the responses...I think I'll have him do it a few days before we're scheduled to pick it up!

From time to time we have had windshields replaced in various of our vehicles, cars and trucks.

The only thing that we did was leave at least one door window slightly open for a day or two (and inch or so). This prevents the presure from opening and closing a door from compromising the seal of the new windshield glass until the seal is set.

This has always been satisfactory in our experience.

I've had windshields replaced and I don't think I was ever given any instructions or cautions about special care requirements during the period after the install.  I've just been luck, I guess.

My Bounder doesn't use any sealant to seal the windshield.  It just has the rubber gasket that holds it in.  There is no glue or sealant involved.

Our windshield is also held in with just a rubber gasket, no adhesive. Like Lou, I wasn't given any warnings, and it didn't occur to me to ask. Immediately drove the 35 miles home and haven't seen any issues. Should I be worried?

If it is held in only by the rubber gasket (called floating), then no restrictions. If held by adhesive (as many are now), then it needs a day to set up firmly.

I was told I could drive normally, but dont level it for 2-3 days.  Mine is the "Glue in" type.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom