How to keep toilet gasket and inside of toilet bowl tidy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Toad

Hi, All,

Do folks have ideas on simple ways to keep the exposed, black, rubber gasket in an RV toilet clean...in day to day use?  I mean the gasket just in the bottom of the bowl, where the trap door opens.    Okay, forgive my being inelegant, but the gasket gets poopie on it, and it stays on the gasket for days unless cleaned with a brush.    :eek: 

For example, maybe tossing some TP in the bowl before each use?  Or, when I worked in the Arctic in winter, our crews had waste incinerator systems, and disposable paper cones (shaped like "Melitta Coffee Filters") were were dropped into the toilet before use....which aided in burning the waste.

I'm a noob, so thank you in advance for your ideas!  I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I failed to find it.

Robt.

Use lots of water when you flush and always make sure there is a little water in the bottom of the bowl after you flush too.  To be honest with you, I don't have the 'poopie on the gasket' problem that you mention.  Once I flush, with lots and lots of water, everything is gone.  You really need lots of water in the tank anyhow for it to function the way it should.

Use to have the same poopie problem until I installed a rinse hose. I think I paid around 30 dollars and spent 30 minutes installing and now all the poopie stains are washed away!!!

As Ruth said, leave a few inches of water in the bowl after flush.  I find that adding a good quantity of water to the bowl, before I sit down, helps considerably.

Sounds like there may not be enough water in the bowl before use. Sometimes after use, we will add water to the bowl and then a bit of liquid laundry detergent and let it sit. Helps to clean the bowl so lazys like me do not have to scrub as often.

Mine has a hose with was spray noozle.  If partially opening the "ball" and spraying doesn't take care of it, some gentle encouragement with the toilet brush at the same time will.

The hose thing sounds ok, but we just keep a gallon jug by the potty (filled in kitchen sink) and a brush in a plastic cup. A little Oxyclean seems to help too.

First I add 3-4 inches of water to the bowl.  Then I lay one layer of tp on top of the water.  After I do my duty I finish filling the bowl so it is full. (these systems need lots of water to keep the black tank in good condition) I flush and normally have no problems with things not going to the black tank. When done make sure there is at least 1 inch of water in the bowl.

Or, you get a handy-dandy little sprayer from someplace like Camping World and use it when you flush.  Very efficient.  We've had one in every motorhome and added one if it didn't come with it.

ArdraF

A few squares of TP layed in the bottom of the bowl before sitting will help that problem a lot.

Back
Top Bottom