Campfires Stink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should also add, at the G.L.A.S.S. rally we had one of the very few campfires, and it was smokless, but it was great, My wife had joined the folks behind us for a chat circle, and then some other couples joined the circle and as it was getting dark and a bit cool I headed back to my rig and got out the propane fire, no smoke, (no wood) and it did not even char the grass underneath!!!.  Just the thing for areas where you don't want a real wood campfire I would suggest at least a 5lb bottle with it though, not the throw-a-way kind, as it does use a bit of gas

But we got most of the good things about a campfire, and of course, another topic for the "Chat"

I also built a propane campfire starter, (though I don't think I have it in the motor home yet

Regulator from a gas grill, piece of conduit with holes cut and drilled in all the proper places, slide it under the wood (under the edge of the fire ring) so that the regulator and hose are outside the fire, Apply propane, match, fire

Steve, It is a shame that smoke from campfires bother you.  I am also somewhat a picky person.  (My wife will attest to this)  But I gotta tell ya, banning or outlawing everything that may annoy a person has no merit.  Let's take a look at outlawing or banning something.  We have a toy hauler.  And most people cringe when a toy hauler pulls in because instantly they think noise from quads or Harleys.  The reality is I haul my GoldWing which is quieter than most cars on the road.  But because toy haulers equals noise, lets ban toy haulers.  And you know kids make a lot of noise.  Babies can definetley smell. (my kids were small once and I cannot stand the smell of a dirty diaper.)  So let's ban kids.  Now diesel fuel in the morning has a unique smell.  And it really bothers me.  So lets ban diesel fuel and anything that runs on it.  My neighbor is allergic to grass so that must go too.  Now let's not forget the entire environmental aspect of paint.  So to preserve the enviornment, no RV should have paint on it.  The list goes on until there are no campers, no RV's, no cars or trucks, etc.  I do not allow my personality to affect others enjoyments. 

Dirty diapers, diesel fumes and campfires all produce their own distinctive odor; but my point about campfires is they pollute for no useful reason.  OK diesel pollutes too, but it provides transportation based on today's technology.

A campfire provides no particular benefit  that cannot be satisfied in another much cleaner way.  Campers can cook on a Coleman type stove, can get warm using heaters or dressing warmer.

I have not heard anyone in our discussion deliver a persuasive argument in favor of making an outdoor fire, that produces a cloud of smoke that gets into one's lungs, eyes, mouth and clothing, not to mention its effect on the atmosphere...and for no good reason that I have heard so far.

I stand to be persuaded by a rational argument in favor of campfires :)

Campfires produce heat, light, and seem to facilitate a camaraderie that darkness just can't match.  If campfires pollute, what do forest fires do, and they're a part of nature.  Sorry, Steve, you're the irrational one in this discussion :)

That's what RVs are for.  If you don't like the neighbors or the odor - ADIOS-  Best not park nest to me, Cause somewhere along the line there is going to be a campfire.  If not,  How in the heck would Heliene know who she is blowing the whistle at.  I might get blamed for Toms mistake. besides when everyone is sitting around the campfire there is just enough heat to keep the gals warm in Arizona desert on a cool Jan or Feb eve.  Now me  I'll still have the shorts on and no jacket at 8 PM by the campfire and be able to see what's going on across the circle.  Look at the Library Home page and see the size of the circle at the Q.  I'm definitely for the campfire and enjoying it. For those that enjoy  WELCOME TO THE CAMPFIRE

Steve:

No one is going to be able to satisfy you about why a campfire.  Different strokes for different fokes.

I would give up RVing without campfires.  If a QZ campfire can't win you over (especially the post rally fires at Bob's stone ring) then nothing will.  A single malt at fireside is the only other suggestion I can offer.  ;D

I can see why most people enjoy getting together under the stars with a group of friends around a campfire.? I may not necessarily be the one sitting downwind but have gained a better understanding from this discussion.? Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for your frank comments.
;)

Just reread my last comment.  Guess I came on pretty strong, but I've never been able to mince words.  There is no better way to get aquainted.  you see everyone in their own realm.  Learn what and how they like things and just normal chat with many peoples. BYOB (Water here) and enjoy.  Sure I'm stuffed up in the AM, sometimes during the gathering, but oh my, the great fulfillment of the FRAMILY that prevails. The ring is huge of friends is huge and the campfire is small but adequate and meaningful to bring everyone together.  Just remember at 8PMin the AZ Desert it's Dark Dark Dark and without the fire you wouldn't even know who or whom you were tallking to.  Off the saop box.

Steve said:
I can see why most people enjoy getting together under the stars with a group of friends around a campfire.? I may not necessarily be the one sitting downwind but have gained a better understanding from this discussion.? Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for your frank comments.
;)

Have been lurking here -- and am glad to read your thoughts now on how many of us feel that the campfire is an important part of why we are RVer's and campers. I guess it goes all the way back to when the settlers came West -- and how important the evening campfire was to them after a day of travel. There's also the physiological effect -- at least on me, as I stare into the flame and just relax with my thoughts. Fake or non wood fires just don't do it for me. But most importantly, it's where we meet with our friends . . .

Smoky mentioned my fire ring in QZ (Thank you, Smoky). That started several years ago when I arrived early -- and was there all by myself for several weeks. Each day I would take several long desert walks -- and with each trip find one or two choice rocks for the fire ring I began that year. It was smaller then -- but grew even that year as I brought more rocks home each day. Then, as others began to arrive, they also gathered on those chilly evenings, some bringing their found rocks to add. There were other times when someone left QZ early -- and made a special point to stop by, and leave a souvenir rock to add to the ring.

So it's more than just the chemistry of the flames, but rather the personal chemistry of those that gather each evening. I would venture to write here that it's one of most looked forward to parts of the day. Of course, as the larger group arrives at QZ, the bigger wash tub rings are used -- to accommodate the ever growing circle of framily friends. So my little fire ring is for those arriving early -- and those that want to enjoy just a little more of the beauty of the AZ desert.

Here are some pics of my fire ring, Steve. They start with the smaller ring in QZ03 with my first log and first fire. You can then see how it grew in QZ06 (btw - the white shoe bottoms on the upper left are a very relaxed Betty Brewer eating carmel corn :)) Then there are a few taken around the Wash Tub ring/s -- from various years. And finally, there is the pic of Jack. He looks forward to the evening fire at least as much as any framily member. ;)

Attachments

• FireRing.JPG
    FireRing.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 51
  • FireRing06.jpg
    FireRing06.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 46
  • QZ06GoodTimes.jpg
    QZ06GoodTimes.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 45
  • QZLateFIre2.jpg
    QZLateFIre2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 45
  • jake.jpg
    jake.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos and the warm sentiments about the pleasure gathering around a campfire brings

Steve:

My guess is that you really love campfires, but decided the forum needed a little stirring of the pot to get some action going!  ;D ;D ;D

Bob said, "So my little fire ring is for those arriving early -- and those that want to enjoy just a little more of the beauty of the AZ desert."

.. and don't forget those leaving late.  Sharon and I have fond memories of being the next to last to leave QZ this past year, leaving poor Karl out there alone to tend your fire ring.  Your ring has done much service, has brought warmth to the QZ event, and melded friendships, and created memories.

Steve, You expressed a wish for campfire-free zones in campgrounds. Several campgrounds in the Banff and Jasper National Parks here in Alberta have had that policy for many years. In fact large sections of the campgrounds are "campfire-free".

Jack has asthma and therefore campfires are a real health hazard for him. Our friends all know this and happily leave their campfires out in exchange for his company.
But when we socialize with people who are not aware of his athma problem and they have a campfire going, Jack tries to stay upwind of the smoke. But for some strange reason the wind changes directions exactly in tune with Jack's "dance" around the fire! So we usually leave early. The hosts then will have to chose: our company or their campfire. Doesn't it all come donw to choices one makes?

So I'm with you. Lets be considerate of those who for one reason or another cannot be near a campfire.

Elly Dalmaijer
St Albert AB

Elly,

Having asthma myself, I can sympathize with Jack's problem, but would not expect or ask people to forego the pleasure of their campfire for my benefit. There are other ways/places one can socialize away from the fire. My asthma is not triggered by campfire smoke, but other things. One thing I cannot tolerate is the after-smoke when someone blows out candles, or the taste of meat cooked over an open flame - such as Burger King flame-broiled hamburgers. It's a psychological thing related to military service, not the asthma, so I merely absent myself from those surroundings and avoid those foods. It's not a matter of choosing the pleasure of one persons company over that of one of your own pleasures; you choose the times and settings when and where you can enjoy both. 

The hosts then will have to chose: our company or their campfire.
I think that's unfair; it's you who must make the choice.

Interesting discussion and gave me some things to think about. I have a daughter with asthma and allergies. When we visit we usually have a cookout and the smoke really bothers her. She keeps away from the smoke. Got me to thinking about other folks with allergies and breathing problems....especially the old people. Don't know of a solution, but it starts with awareness.

Steve:

I for one have always said: "It ain't campin unless you have a campfire".  I will go to my grave with that attitude. 

This talk of more restrictions is the wrong attitude.  I have watched our society disintegrate to a bunch of crap during my life.  Why is it, that the few always want rules to control the majority of people?  If I don't like something, I just move or go to another location.  All those campers that love their campfire should not have to adjust to your likes and dislikes.  The rules for leaving fires unattended should be enjorced because of the danger and we need to talk up responsibility.  Each camper needs to learn to do things safely and correctly so all will not lose their right to enjoy the fire.

This kind of reminds me of the discussions about free camping at Wal-Marts.  They are not campgrounds and should not be used as such.  A brief rest stop and that's it.  Once again, a few tend to ruin all good things.

I would just as soon stay on a parking lot to camp if I had to give up my fire.

Back
Top Bottom