1997 Coachman Mirada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WVRider

I am looking at a 1997 Coachman Mirada with 55,000 miles. The coach appears to be in great shape. It drives and handles fine. My concern with this coach is that it has some delamination on the drivers side. I have been told this is caused by water damage. There is no signs of water damage inside the coach though. The dealers bottom dollar is $14,400. Is this something I should be more concerned with than I already am? Here's a picture that shows what I'm talking about. You can see the area above the rear wheel. 1997 Coachman?

Many times when there is delam-there's moisture problems.  Not always but many times.  If it is,  Trouble with a capital T.

:) Hi WVRider. Provided there was no more leaks? At that price? I would personally buy it. In fact if you don't want it? Please tell me the dealer and I will buyt it myself.  ;D

I bought a rig with minor delamination and never regretted it for an instant. It never got any worse either.

Sometimes delam in a manufacturing defect - quite a few coach builders had some workmanship problems when fabricaing sidewalls in the early-mid 90's.  Those seldom spread becasue they are merely areas where the glue was not spread properly. But the area you show on the Mirada has lots of sidewall openings above and around it, so moisture entry seems like a good bet. I'd buy the coach and thoroughly re-caulk all those nearby cutouts.    You can repair the delam too, if it bothers you, but it takes some skills. But it's not terribly noticeable in the picture and probably won't be bothersome when you use the rig either.

As a side note, a Mirada is very much a light duty rig, what we call a vacation class RV. They don't hold up well under heavy use, i.e full time or part time living. Fine for the occasonal weekend or summer vacation, though.

Thanks for the replies guys. This coach will be our first MH, so I'm real green about this.
Fine for the occasonal weekend or summer vacation
This is all we're looking for right now. Something we can jump in on a Friday and just get out of Dodge.

WvRider,

I have a 1995 Coachmen Catalina, but looking at the pictures, I'm thinking mine is simply an earlier version of this coach! It is almost identical.  Including the delamination problem. Mine is a little further forward than yours but on the exact same side. I too have been concerned with it, but I've never had any problems with leaking or any water damage. In fact I'm glad you brought it up, looks like it's not necessarily a huge concern.

We use ours for weekend recreation and other than the maintanence issues, we've been happy with what we got for our money. Prior to this I had a 35 Fifth wheel toy hauler that we bought brand  new. We have the same maintanence issues with this as we did the new trailer, so I think it just goes with the toys. You have to pay to play!  However, that seems like a smokin deal on the Mirada. You know your not getting a high end coach, but your also not paying for it either.  The first thing I would do is put a Banks Stinger System on it. It will be the best $900 you could spend, make driving much more enjoyable.

Best of luck on your decision.

The deal is done.? ;D We are now the proud owners of this coach. We pick it up Friday afternoon. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Congrats, I'm envious!  ;D  That's a great price too, while shopping around recently I've seen Class C's 8-9 years older than yours priced in that range so you made out quite well.  Here's to many unforgettable family vacations....

Since it was mentioned, what makes this Mirada a light-duty rig compared to other models?

I'm really pumped and counting the hours. The salesman said the coach will be ready at 2:00 tomorrow and to allow about 2 hours when I come to pick it up so they can go over everything in the rig with me. I'm taking a day of vacation from work so I can be there as soon as I can. The dealership is about an hours drive away.

Now I have to do some research to see what I'm going to have to do to tow my Grand Cherokee.

Click the Library button above and select Checklists for some useful tips on what to look for during your walk-through of the coach.

Re towing the Grand Cherokee, click the Library button and select Towing and towables for some tips.

Back
Top Bottom