Winterizing question (Journey 40U)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CliffY

I have a 2012 40U Journey with a res refer. Instructions say to discard the water filter also for the ice maker under the galley sink.  It says the water filter head has a built-in bypass and no separate diverter plug is needed. Not sure exactly what that means but i interpreted it to mean that nothing would leak out. I did not put a new filter in because it did not say to do it now. I think I followed all other instructions but when I turned the pump on to pump the anti-freeze it came out the head where the filter screws in. It doesn't follow that I should put a new filter in because you would not want anti-freeze in it. Anyone know what I am missing?

Edit by John - fix typo in subject line

There is a bypass valve under your sink and this should be in the bypass position.  Also, there is a door on the outside of the coach that is to the rear of the refrigerator.  There is a valve in there that you turn and what water is in the fridge will drain out.  This valve keeps any water in the line from going into the fridge.

Thanks for your reply. I had done what you said but the valve under the sink i believe keeps the fluid from going to the ice maker. There is a third line not showing in the manual that is allowing the anti-freeze to come out where the filter would be. The only solution I see is to put the old filter back on but i am even running into trouble there. It is a discard filter and I wonder if they are designed not to go back on.

My MH instructions for replacing the ice maker filter say that when the filter is removed "a spring-loaded valve inside the filter socket will block water from flowing out of the socket when the filter cartridge is removed."

Perhaps the valve inside the socket is stuck which allows the leak and disallows reinstalling the used filter.

Thanks for the responses. I hate to admit it but I gave up. I'll have it winterized. Probably smart anyway since still under warranty. I followed the instructions so I think it is just a bad head that is not self sealing per the manual. When I find out next week I'll post the verdict. Happy T.

Agree with John.  If you have the Everpure filter that is mounted under the kitchen sink, there is a plug that you must install in the filter housing after you remove the filter.  There is a lever on the housing but that does not seem to do much of anything.  I remove the filter, install the plug, and use air to force all the water from the lines.

Back
Top Bottom