cooking turkey in gas oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, that was very helpful.  And, yes, I did suspect that the knowledgeable people may have had the day off yesterday.  ;)  I've printed out the information found on your linked site and will take it with me to Home Depot on Monday.  Thanks again.

Margi

Well, my pizza stone is 13" and the lower portion of my oven pan is 12".  Guess it's off to Home Depot I go, fighting through the Black Friday crowd to claim my frost resistant, vitreous tile. I just love the new words I learn on this site  ;D

Tom and Margi said:
Well, phooey!  Loew's in Roseburg, OR does not carry unglazed tiles.  Any suggestions for where to buy one?  Didn't try Home Depot, but sounds like Wendy tried there.

Margi

After I read this thread I went out looking for a Pizza stone.  Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, nothing.  I was starting to think this was a make believe product.  Then I ran into an older lady at Best Buy, she said "Ah honey, just go over to Kohls."  It was just across the street, and they had several sizes in the store.  On line they only have two, here's the 12";

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-191714/fox-run-craftsmen-round-pizza-stone-set.jsp

I got a Pizza Stone at one of the kitchen places in an outlet mall (Kitchen Collection is one such store, may have been the one, do not recall)  Many use an unglazed clay tile from Lowes or Home Depot.  the idea is the same as the Lava Rocks used in gas grills, hold and distribute the heat.  Work well.

Because we have a large group of folks on this topic who use their oven often, I have the most basic of questions to ask which is relative to the topic.

How do you light your RV oven? I don't use mine often enough to keep the pilot light lit. And, lighting it seems to be a two person project -- one to turn the gas control and one to crawl on their belly to light the pilot, however, I travel single and arms, head and bellies don't function well at these angles.

I haven't tried it yet but, do most of you pull the pan out some to light the pilot and then slide the pan back in or do the belly crawl?

We use a long handled propane/butane lighter. We don't have to try and get a hand inside the oven or under the pan that way. And typically we just turn the oven to say 250 and light it. IIRC the thermostat bulb won't let the gas come out until it is heated. It takes only a couple of seconds and then you can watch the flame travel around the burner as it lights. No booms or flashes.

We never leave the pilot light lit either. On the boat the propane tank has a shut off solenoid at the tank with a handy switch and reminder light in the galley. So, when we're done cooking the switch is moved and the propane is shut off at the tank.

Ken

Wow Ken. Simple! I'm wondering how many strains it would have taken for me to figure that out on my own! Thank You. I'll be enjoying my biscuits and sausage gravy much more now!

Larry

I light ours by myself all the time.  I kneel on the floor and reach in - no contortions!  Forget about keeping the pilot light lit all the time.  It just wastes propane.  When you turn it on, ignore the pilot setting on the knob and turn it straight to the temperature you want to use.  Then hold the lighter next to the thermocouple.  You do have to hold the lighter there for a while because it takes time for the gas to get to it.  Also, there's no rush to get the lighter to the thermocouple for the same reason.

ArdraF

When I woke up the day I was having RV Thanksgiving, it occurred to me that maybe I should check out what more experienced RV'ers had to say about cooking a turkey in an RV oven. Your video was extremely helpful! I cooked my 12-lb turkey in a bag, & turned it every 15 minutes at first, then longer as it became clear my oven was doing a good job. In fact, such a good job that it took quite a bit less time than I anticipated! Before I try again, I'm definitely going to acquire an oven thermometer. It came out great; the family was pleased, and I had great leftover turkey sandwiches for a few days! Thank you very much for being here to help me out. <3

Like Ardra, we also use an "air bake" double wall cookie tin instead of a pizza stone. Our original pizza stone broke into several pieces over time, so we gave the cookie tin a try and found it to be just as effective.

The pilot light is nifty once you start cooking.

For instance, you cook something and pull it out of the oven. Instead of turning the oven off, turn it to pilot light.

This will keep the pilot lit for you. Should you change your mind and need to bake some more, you just turn it back to the temp you need. and you don't have to stick your arm in a hot oven to relight the pilot.

On a side note, I have also used the pilot light as the perfect temp for making homemade yogurt.

I love baking in my oven and cooking with propane. I use the oven more often in fall, winter and spring. But I've also used it in summer.

My propane oven is so old it came with an oven light. I am thrilled!

For lighting the oven, a long handle butane lighter is a must-have. I use same for lighting the stove top too. I just drag my step stool over, sit down, light the oven then go about my business.

Dollar Tree has the long handle lighters for $1, always buy 2, it's nice to have a spare on hand.

I have no problems lighting the pilot on my own but I'm a big guy.

When I was a child Mother always did the turkey in a gas oven. (propane) and as I got older the wife still used a gas oven (Natural).  Been cooking with gas all along. Though it makes little difference in the oven. on the top gas is way better than electric. but I've used both.

You could also consider using a tabletop oven? We have used before in our home and it worked very well.

Back
Top Bottom