1998 Dodge Ram 2500 towing capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 with 5.9 V8 Gas engine with an automatic.  Can I pull a 11070 GVWR 5th wheel, dry weight of 6950# and hitch weight of 950#.  I live in Florida so its mainly flat here.

No.

Your truck was tow rated for 9100 - 9400 lbs.  We reccomend limiting trailer GVWRs to 90% of that to allow for truck loads in excess of a 154-lb driver and fuel.  That would limit your truck to trailer GVWRs of 8190 - 8550 lbs.  Even in Florida.  Moreover that is a 14 year old truck.

Much lighter trailer or much larger and younger truck.

Carl L said:
No.

Your truck was tow rated for 9100 - 9400 lbs.  We reccomend limiting trailer GVWRs to 90% of that to allow for truck loads in excess of a 154-lb driver and fuel.  That would limit your truck to trailer GVWRs of 8190 - 8550 lbs.  Even in Florida.  Moreover that is a 14 year old truck.

Much lighter trailer or much larger and younger truck.

Now if it was diesel it would of been a different story. 

http://i51.tinypic.com/2z6zafd.jpg

What Carl said.

To elaborate a bit....can you tow it....as in get it going down the highway?  The answer is yes.  Can you control it if something goes wrong?  Maybe not.  Failed trailer brakes, a nasty crosswind, a blown tire...you get the picture.  That big ol' beast could wind up dragging your truck anywhere it feels like dragging it.  The tail wagging the dog is a very bad feeling.

Here's the other thing....assuming you did tow it and nothing went wrong....it would still be a miserable experience.  The closer you get to a trucks limitations, the less fun towing is.  And it can get where it's so stressful that 200 miles in, you're absolutely worn out. 

If your 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 is in good repair I think it would handle the trailer just fine. I do think you will be wishing you had more power though, even in Florida.

Frizlefrak said:
What Carl said.

To elaborate a bit....can you tow it....as in get it going down the highway?  The answer is yes.  Can you control it if something goes wrong?  Maybe not.  Failed trailer brakes, a nasty crosswind, a blown tire...you get the picture.  That big ol' beast could wind up dragging your truck anywhere it feels like dragging it.  The tail wagging the dog is a very bad feeling.

Here's the other thing....assuming you did tow it and nothing went wrong....it would still be a miserable experience.  The closer you get to a trucks limitations, the less fun towing is.  And it can get where it's so stressful that 200 miles in, you're absolutely worn out.

I agree...

It's all about the experience of towing your trailer and enjoying the relaxed lifestyle. The more you cross the ratings the more your at risk at having something go wrong road wise but also engine and drivetrain wise too. I know of guys that tow well over the rating of the truck but have modified the truck heavily to deal with weak links of the truck. (Transmission, etc.)

Mopar1973Man said:
I agree...

It's all about the experience of towing your trailer and enjoying the relaxed lifestyle. The more you cross the ratings the more your at risk at having something go wrong road wise but also engine and drivetrain wise too. I know of guys that tow well over the rating of the truck but have modified the truck heavily to deal with weak links of the truck. (Transmission, etc.)

Absolutely.  RVing is something I do to get away from my stressful life and decompress.  That's hard to do if the truck is struggling to do what you want it to do, and you're fighting it the whole time. 

Speaking of mods, my old F250 transmission had started to slip last summer.  I took it to a trusted local shop that all us hotrodders use and told him that I tow a lot and go into remote areas, and to build me something bulletproof.  He did just that....very strong internals.  When I got it back, I asked for any pointers on how to extend the life of the transmission.  He replied "don't worry....you won't break it".  So far, I haven't.  I can use the overdrive on the flat lands, tow in the hot desert, come down off the steep stuff in 2nd gear....no issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom