Should I get a Exhaust Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Don

I have a Ford 250 7.3L automatic. Pulling a HHII LS 5th wheel..

One I'M looking at is a Banks Exhaust Brakes. Yet at $1700 plus bucks ouch.
But not having one could maybe a bigger ouch!
Do you think there's a need.
Please let me know your opinion!

Just Don wanting to stop!

Yes diesels need exhaust brakes. I too have a 7.3 F 250 and I would not take any for the exhaust brakes. That said I have the ones sold by Camping World far less than $1700 and they work great. If you do any traveling in hills or mountains I would enstall the Ex. brakes. Just shop around for the best price.

An exhaust brake is a very nice thing to have if you encounter any long downgrades. They aren't as popular in the Eastern US where grades are mostly shorter, but on the long Western mountain passes they are very valuable.

The exhaust brake components should run $900-$1200, depending on brand and retail discounts. The rest of the $1700 maybe is labor?

Banks also has a transmission retarder device for around $500. Don't know how well it workscompared to an exhaist brake.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Banks also has a transmission retarder device for around $500. Don't know how well it workscompared to an exhaist brake.

Thanks Gary.
Wonder how to find out. I'M sure some one will know.

Not all exhaust brakes provide the same amount of stopping power either. And any amount of braking assist is useful.

Brake assists for the Ford Powerstroke 7.3L are available from BD, US Geat (D-cellerator), Banks, PAC and probably some others I don't know about.

Don Pac/Brake is the brand name The total cost with installation was around $1100. I have had it for about 7 years and it still works great. I pulled my 30ft 5th Wheel all over the Rockey Mountains, to Alaska & last year to Maine. If you plan to travel in the mountains or even hills like the TX Hill Country an exhaust brake will be worth the cost. Sure saves your brakes on the long down hill runs

hoozerman said:
Is there any kind of braking assist available for gassers?

Unlike a diesel, In a gasser you can let the engine compression coupled with running in a lower gear keep your speed down on downhill grades.

Water Dog said:
Unlike a diesel, In a gasser you can let the engine compression coupled with running in a lower gear keep your speed down on downhill grades.
Thanks. My experience has been that the weight and momentum of the MH overcomes the engine compression and I just keep speeding up. Normally, it's not that much of a problem, but I have been in areas out west where it gets a little tense! Thanks for your reply.

Get an exhaust brake. But be aware Banks stuff is really high priced.  There are others on the market as good for far less $$$.

Here's a dumb question, but I don't know the answer.
Do you down shift automatic, to keep it from shifting to a higher gear?
While going down hill.

Thanks every one.

Don there isn't any dumb qusetion. If the slop of the grade isn't too steep or long there isn't any reason to downshift the tran. will take care of it. If the grade is steep and long I will manually down shift to lock into the gear needed to hold the speed down to a safe level.

Thanks for the reply Billy Bob. Are you from Hill Country?
I'M looking at Pac/Brake for my truck now to see if there's different ones.
I do agree Banks Exhaust Brakes cost a lot.
Also heard there's transmission retarder device for around $500.
I know it retards, but is exhaust brake better.

Thanks for every one's advice and keep replying all the info is good.
Now to go study retarded transmissions or what ever they are.  ;D

Just Don said:
Thanks for the reply Billy Bob. Are you from Hill Country?
  ;D

No I am not in the Texas Hill Country; but I camp there a lot. I am on the Texas Gulf Coast near the little town of Sweeny about 60 miles southwest of Houston. Were are you located?

Used to spend vacation time during Easter when i was a pup.
Close to 50 years ago.. Loved it powder horn bay..

Be aware that exhaust brakes on automatics are not the same as manual transmissions. Like I got a local here that bought a exhaust brake for his Dodge Cummins and found out that since he's a auto it only works while in lockup. So 3rd or 4th gears. But now get on the local road system and travelling 15-20 MPH down grade there is none. So be aware of limitations.

But as for a manual trans I enjoy the fact I've gone 185K miles on my first set of brake pads and now working on my seconds set at 208K and still rolling.

Both videos are subtitled to show what function I'm doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0yjDv8Slkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDjMzmV4bbw

Slow crawl down a 6-12% grade... Something auto's can't do...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7lOJLD948

Mopar1973Man said:
Be aware that exhaust brakes on automatics are not the same as manual transmissions. Like I got a local here that bought a exhaust brake for his Dodge Cummins and found out that since he's a auto it only works while in lockup. So 3rd or 4th gears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7lOJLD948

I don't know which model transmission is in your fronds Dodge but the Allison automatic series most of us have use the exhaust or engine brakes down to at least 2nd gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom