Propane 101 - an excellent article for laymen & Rvers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I came across a really excellent article on propane basics as they apply to RVs and written in layman's terms.  It covers all the practical aspects of propane valves, differences in fixed ASME tanks vs DOT portable cylinders, fire safety, and such without a lot of technobabble. Written by Derek Gore, aka RV Roadie, I highly recommend it to all RVers.

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id44.html

edit: Updated link address - LS

Excellent article.  It dispels some common misconceptions and reinforces much of the advice we've been giving for years.

Thanks Gary, it is a good article, and as promised it is in language that is easily understood.  It answered some questions I had as to why the different requirements between cylinders and the RV Tank.

Ed

Great find.  Addressed several of my concerns.

A quick read of the link on the left margin "Technical Articles" suggests more than 400 articles and posts he has already included or plans to include on the site.  If they are written as well, it will make a great resource for many newbies.

Great article for folks like me with no real knowledge of propane equipment.  I think this would make a nice sticky, or at least the link be included in the "article" section. 
Thanks for posting this Gary, much appreciated.

JT

My motorhome is old a 1992.  It has an oddball connector that very few propane people have seen, so it causes me problems getting it filled.

You turn off the supply valve, then open the valve at the top then when you hook up the connection to the propane and push up a red button under the valve.  This allows it to vent and I guess expels air so it can take propane.  Wonder if I could have the valve changed or do I just live with it.

Most tank vents unscrew, but I guess yours has a red push button to open it?  I've not seen one like that, but as long as you can tell the tech who is filling the tank where/how to open the vent, it shouldn't be a problem.  The tank must have a vent open in order to pump in more liquid LPG when filling. It is venting LPG vapor, not air.

Surely you don't have to fill with LPG that often, do you?

I've only filled it about 3 times, but I have 2 furnaces and a propane water heater and fridge.  A 10 gallon water heater.

Again when Tom gets time, those famous words for us, he is going to replace the hot rodd.

A very in depth, RVIA standards document http://www.bustropolis.com/files/download/RV%20LP%20tank%20information.pdf This helped me decide I did not have to stick with "black iron" gas pipe when I wanted to replace, I used copper.

I got the valve replaced in Florida thought I would add it here.  The shop was familiar with it and they also knew how to change it out so now I have one like the other motorhomes.  Oh happy day!

Thanks, Gary.

That reminds me of a friend who wanted her house propane service to fill up her MH.  They hemmed and hawed and finally told her they weren't allowed to do that unless the MH was off the ground with no tires touching!  She used another service. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Have read a lot of articles and such on Propane in Motor homes.. Usually I can find several faults with the article,

Here is the list of faults I found on the first read in this article:

(Null List)

Interesting. The author mentions running the propane refer while motoring along. I thought it was illegal for the propane refer to be on in our TT in Calif.

PatrioticStabilist said:
My motorhome is old a 1992.  It has an oddball connector that very few propane people have seen, so it causes me problems getting it filled.

You turn off the supply valve, then open the valve at the top then when you hook up the connection to the propane and push up a red button under the valve.  This allows it to vent and I guess expels air so it can take propane.  Wonder if I could have the valve changed or do I just live with it.

I often hear this "Expells air so it can take on propane" thing

That is the visual overfill indicator valve,  Often called the spitter valve cause it "Spits" liquid propane which forms a dense white cloud when the tank is full.. There is no air in your tank and has not been any air in it since the first purge and fill however many years ago you bought it.

But (You did not say this) I have heard "You have to let the air out because you can't compress air so if you don't let the air out no propane can get in".. Uh,, How come I have an AIR COMPRESSOR in my basement if you can not compress air.. I mean that's elementary school physics.. But you did not post that one at least.

On most motor home tanks it is a triangular thing,, THink three letter C's around a shaft, 

On portable tanks it is a screw.

Grew up with 100 pound cylinders,  Used to have to refill one on occasion at the local propane store.  We used scales back then.  Remember that.

Good article..

Oh, and for the person who mentioned something like "He seems to advocate running firdge on road".

I did not see that, I saw him address the issue for those who do, but I did not see him recommend doing it.. Just acknowledging many (myself included) do.

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question ......

I see that you can buy adaptor valves to refill 1 lb disposable propane bottles from larger refillable bottles. Does anyone have experience with these and are they considered safe?

Back
Top Bottom