RVing out of the box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1000 CCA doesn't translate at all in amp-hours, which is what you need to know to estimate inverter run time.  A battery can have a high CCA and still not produce many amp-hours for long term use.  Amp-hours are measured over a 20 hour time period, while CCA is calculated as a max amp rate for 30 seconds at zero degrees.  I'll hazard a wild guess and say somewhere between 70 and 90 AH, but that's sheer guesswork.

The inverter uses DC power in proportion to the 120vac power demand. Basically,  Watts-in x Efficiency = Watts-out.  Watts are volts x amps and Efficiency for this sort of inverter is probably in the 80-90% range. To produce 400 watts @ 120v takes about 37 amps @ 12v and 90% efficiency.

I don't think I'd put a 4000 watt, $138 inverter anywhere near anything I care about.
A plain inverter (no charger and no internal transfer switch) is not an expensive or complex device, and the price reflects that. Nothing at all to fear with a big inverter in that price range, as long as Modified Sine output is OK.

I have been sufficiently happy with the GPS in my Android phone that I haven't looked seriously at any alternatives.

I have a galaxy sII and the GPS is outstanding when it works...but most of the time it just decides to not pick up single, it will work or it wont, nothing in between...so I wan't a more reliable source but don't want to spend for the garmin or tomtom devices, I figure a usb one I could also use on my sailboat...

What do you mean by a "usb gps"?  One of the satellite sensors that can plug into a USB port?  Those just give you a raw signal - you still have to have mapping and navigation software to go with it.

You can get an excellent TomTom or Garmin for around $100 or sometimes less, sometimes including lifetime map updates. And used ones are readily available for even less money, e.g. on ebay.

I've heard of it, but never knew anyone who actually did/does it. Afterall, we have stoves and microwaves to handle the cooking chores. BBQs and campfires too.

I have -- rarely -- done this as a traveling technique, when I am traveling without an RV.  It's better understood as a way to warm up food than as a way to cook food, and for it to work you have to lay things out pretty carefully ahead of time, wrapping things in foil and so on.  It would help to install a basket or something, permanently, in a strategic place in the engine compartment, but I've never done that.

The cooking facilities in an RV are a better bet.  Most people don't really cook while under way -- the potential for disaster in the event of a collision or evasive maneuver is too great -- but you can cook while stopped, and many people will leave something in the oven while traveling.

Alternatively, on a long road trip, I usually bring cold food to eat on the road, and combine that with stops at places that have at least passable hot food.

infinitefoamies said:
Does anyone out there cook food wrapped in aluminum foil against the motor while on the road?

Access to the engine compartment is difficult as we have to lift the bed and another cover to gain access.

We used to heat "C rations" on the generators for the Radar and guns when I was in the Army.  Worked great on a cold night to have hot food and coffee/tea etc.  We were even known to have a few hot toddy's! :) 

just picked up an 86' sunline slide in camper for free off craigslist. needs some work but definately worth free. anyone know much about these? my rear fenders are wider then the width of the jacks which was a real PITA to load so i will have to fabircate something, also have to fabricate a new hitch reciever so i can still tow. any experience with doing this?

If the camper is blocking the visibility of your rear plate, yes.  If not, it can stay where it is on the truck.

A couple of states, WA I know is one, issue a separate license plate for the camper.  This seems a little strange to me, since the camper isn't it's own vehicle, it's just cargo being carried by the truck.  But I guess the proceeds go towards the state parks or something.

infinitefoamies said:
just picked up an 86' sunline slide in camper for free off craigslist. needs some work but definately worth free.

Some of my most expensive purchases have been free.  Caveat emptor.

anyone know much about these?

I don't, but these people do:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f70/

my rear fenders are wider then the width of the jacks which was a real PITA to load so i will have to fabircate something,

This is a common situation for dual rear wheel trucks.  You need dually brackets.  They are expensive and specific to jacks from a particular manufacturer:

http://www.adventurerv.net/lance-atwood-swingout-dually-brackets-p-68.html

You could, as you point out, make something, if you're good at that.

also have to fabricate a new hitch reciever so i can still tow. any experience with doing this?

There are commercially available ones but they are expensive:

http://www.torklift.com/t.php?w_page=superhitch

The homemade ones I've seen are not especially stable.

Lou Schneider said:
If the camper is blocking the visibility of your rear plate, yes.  If not, it can stay where it is on the truck.

A couple of states, WA I know is one, issue a separate license plate for the camper.  This seems a little strange to me, since the camper isn't it's own vehicle, it's just cargo being carried by the truck.  But I guess the proceeds go towards the state parks or something.

Lou is correct.  There are some people who get away with putting a copy of their license plate on the camper, either a photocopy or just hand-written letters and numbers, or sign letters from the home center, or something printed out from a computer.  It's risking a ticket but saves the hassle of moving the tag.  Moving the tag is a hassle because sooner or later you'll forget and then you'll get a ticket anyway.

I have heard that there are a handful of states where you can ask for a duplicate plate and use that.

Jammer said:
Some of my most expensive purchases have been free.  Caveat emptor.
if its free its for me! i dont hvae much of a budget so if its not worthwhile ill get rid of it
Jammer said:
You could, as you point out, make something, if you're good at that.

There are commercially available ones but they are expensive:

http://www.torklift.com/t.php?w_page=superhitch

The homemade ones I've seen are not especially stable.
I only plan on towing a 12' box trailer with model airplanes at the same time as the slide in so it should be too much weight...

does the camper block the receiver, or is the receiver to far underneath for clearance of the trailer tongue? they do make extensions to bring the ball out beyond overhanging equipment. i've seen landscapers using them to haul their trailer behind a one ton, when they have an overhanging implement in the bed.

the overhang does not block the reciever, so my dad and i will fabricate something.

the sides of the camper that goes in the bed, which is just luan is fairly rotted, is this structural?

the ceiling plywood has water stains from a leak i will fix, but to replace the plywood i would probably have to pull the bathroom and cabinets out correct?

the sides of the camper that goes in the bed, which is just luan is fairly rotted, is this structural?

Yes and no.  The luan provides some stiffness to the framing that carries the load of the camper.  Eventually all of the weight has to get down to the 4'x8' footprint that sits in the truck bed.

If you have the clearance, change it out for a piece of outdoor rated  plywood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom