Onan generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boswell009

Hi, lots of american motorhomes advertise the fact that they have Onan Generators. Can anyone tell me a little more about them and are they a good generator to have.

Onan is not the only generator used in motorhomes, but they probably have a large market share. They're designed specifically for RV use and some of their newer models are relatively quiet. I've had Onan generators in boats also. Overall, they've been reliable.  IIRC Onan was purchased by Cummins, so there's a larger availability of repair shops and parts stores should there be a problem.

Onan is by no means the only generator manafacturer however they have made quite a name for themselves in the 3,000 to 10,000 watt range and they make products specifically for motor homes, they also make the Emerald line which is among the quietist generators on the market.

They are good products, however I can not say they are better than oh, say, Genrac or ___<insert any decent brand>___ .  Others may have more input there.

I know mine works well, but then it's only a year old.  At the office where I used to work we had a lovely Chevy Big Block V-8 with a natural gas carbarator and a Genrac "Transmission"  It too worked well.

Having read more than a few owner's manuals, I suggest exercising the generators from time to time.  If you do a lot of traveling in your Motor Home and you use the generator to run the AC, and stuff while driving, That's exercise enough.  If you park it for oh, say 8 months a year,,,, That is not exercise enough, Note: These are extreme examples, I like to run mine at least every other month, Prefer every month

Hi, i am thinking about getting a generator for my 5er. Would like to know what anyone thinks about the onan Juice Box 4000 that fits on the back of ur 5er. Is this a good generator?  Also about mounting on the back of my trailer 5er's hitch. 
  Thanks for any information. 2 ollies
    2001 excel 36' , Ford F450 7.3 lit turbo with Banks 6 gun, crew cab dually 2003.

The JuiceBox is essentially a Micro-Quiet 4000 in a specially designed hitch mount. It is a good option for those that don't want to take up storage space with a permanent installation. Downside is you must plug/unplug your shore power cord and gas tank for use and, according to Onan, may NOT be operated while under way. I know it sounds silly, but there are probably people that would try to bungy-cord the 6 gal. gasoline tank to the top of the unit and tie-wrap the power cord in place! ::)

I am also looking at the Juice Box - like it for convenience, but don't for other reasons. I don't intend to run it while driving so no problem there. I do not like the idea of a +350lb box sitting in my hitch behind my 5er. It is very expensive.

I am looking at a Robin 4300 as well as the microquiet 4000, Honda 3000, Yamaha 3000 and anything else I can find that is rated "quiet". I like the idea of mounting in ther truck bed and keeping my fuel supply there also. Some are tall - like the Robin - and might be a problem. I am pretty much convinced I need 4000 watts (or 2 - 2000 units), but am still researching. New to fifth wheeling so appreciate reading thru this string.

2006 Dodge 2500 Maxicab Cummins (can't wait to get it chipped out) with air bags and under rear axle and air pin on hitch. 34 ft Leisure Time 1850# pin weight.

Back
Top Bottom