Loosing weight, can't get past two hundred.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have lost 25 lbs so far on a diet call Ideal Protein out of Quebec. My wife lost 35lb and a friend has lost close to 100 you have to eat there food (about $65.00 per week) it works. you need to find a Doctor has it mine is a Chiropractor. this diet set up your body keatons like the Atkins.Right know we are on maintenance and have leveled out after the new year 1/2 we will go back on it to lose another 25-39 lbs.   

While cleaning the bathroom a couple of days ago, I apparently switched the scale from pounds to kilos. That's a nice easy way to lose half your weight :)  Unfortunately, Mike figured out what had happened and it's back to pounds. Sure was nice weighing less than 65 for a couple of days.

Wendy

Years ago while living in San Francisco and a member of a tennis club got into a weight lose betting pool. The idea was that everyone in the pool put up $100.00 betting that they could lose a certain number of pounds in a given timeframe. Can't remember how that worked, but it was designed to make things even between those that were super overweight and those that were not.

We had an official weigh in, and another at the end of the time period to see who lost the given number of pounds. Those that made their weight lose divided the money in the pool and those that did not make it, lost their $100.

It was amazing how the idea of losing $100 adds to ones determination to drop weight.  :) A lessor amount, say $10 per participant, would not have the incentive compared to the idea of losing $100. In the middle of a diet, late at night, I would easily give up on $10 for a half pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia!

I'm 6' tall and just wish I could make it to 150#. For the last 5 yrs I haven't been able to get to even 130#. You wouldn't believe the things I try and nothing works for me.
Wish I could take a few pounds from those who need to lose some.

jmugs said:
I'm 6' tall and just wish I could make it to 150#. For the last 5 yrs I haven't been able to get to even 130#. You wouldn't believe the things I try and nothing works for me.

Strange you should say that.  Just today, while listening to NFL radio on Sirius, there was a commercial for a weight gain product.  I was thinking to myself, good luck with that.  Who on earth would want to gain weight?  Most everyone I know is trying to lose weight.

jmugs said:

jmugs I wish you luck, I have meet a few people that always said they had some of mine.
I'd be happy to give you 20lbsplus.

Just Don so darn generous..

jmugs said:

Let's see, chicken fried steak, hash browns, and eggs for breakfast; a Double Double at In and Out for lunch, and a pizza for dinner should fix you right up.  ;D

I'm 6'1" and that's not my problem! :-[ ( And I haven't seen the inside of an In and Out for 10 months.)

Jeff said:
Let's see, chicken fried steak, hash browns, and eggs for breakfast; a Double Double at In and Out for lunch, and a pizza for dinner should fix you right up.  ;D

I'm 6'1" and that's not my problem! :-[ ( And I haven't seen the inside of an In and Out for 10 months.)

That's about what my diet consists of. Loads of stuff that most people would gain weight just looking at the food. My last weigh-in at the VA was 126# about a month ago.

Margie has to watch her weight or I'll hang a wide load sign on her butt.

My idea of splurging is to walk into Kentucky Fried, take a deep breath, and turn around and walk out.

Oh my this has been a big issue at our house for the last several months.  Sue Anne and I about 10 years ago worked and she lost 20 and I lost 40 pounds.  We kept it off for about 7 years.  Then I took 2 courses of predisone back to back, I was done for.  Well of course the more I eat the more she eats.

She and I are a mess again.  I'm 5'9" and weigh 194, but I'm very active so some of that is muscle, BUT only SOME of it, there is lots of fat there too. I wear a size 16 misses so for me being tall is a blessing, but Sue Anne's getting in a 16 and is getting tight, so 18's soon, dang.  But poor Sue Anne, she is 5'3" and up to 180.  Now of course her back is killing her, her posterior, she carries it in the back and straight out.  She has Williams Syndrone so some weird connective cell deal I'm sure.  I have been so busy I haven't had time to get and keep her moving.  She lays and sits and now is having her back hurt, well of course. 

I have cut out any diet sodas at home and that has helped us some but traveling and eating fast food trying to get everything up to the house, places sold, etc its really playing hell with her.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  It's practically a knock down drag out trying to get her to exercise and moderate her diet.  My husband says she can only eat what you bring in, oh that sounds so simple.

I hope to get us in one place soon, I've got to spend time helping her and getting her weight off again.  I know portion control and moderation plus physical activity is the key, but doing it is the hard part. She regained it all, I'm still down 21 pounds from my all time high but still to fat.  Hardest thing I've done.  It's not dieting its like I did before, changing your eating habits.  Going to have to, but what a challenge when we both just love good food.

Let me throw this in...
I just happened to watch Dr. Oz last week while channel surfing.  He had another doctor on that wrote a book about the problem with wheat.  Oz sounded like he couldn't believe what he had read in the book and decided to do a test of his own.  He always promoted wheat and whole grains in your diet.

Apparently, wheat (when digested) attaches itself to the brain somehow that make you want to eat more because it makes you feel good.  Kind of like a drug that gets you high.  Like needing another Twinkie (Lots of withdrawl going on now, I'll bet!  ;D).  Anyway, it was stated by the other doc that eating wheat and wheat products can have the same effect, or worse, on your blood sugar as eating a candy bar.  Dr. Oz's test pertained to just that. 

5 women were used.  Each had their blood sugar checked for a base line.  They were then each given a couple slices of plain wheat bread and their blood sugar taken again an hour later.  24 hours pass and then each was given a Snickers Bar.  Blood sugar was checked again after 1 hour of eating the bar.

Results were 3 of the 5 women's blood sugar spiked over 2X's higher over the candy bar by just eating the wheat bread!

I'm not a follower of Dr Oz, but I thought it interesting.  Maybe, just maybe, there is something to this and it might have something to do with "the wall" a lot of you are experiencing.  For more info, Google "Wheat Belly" by Cardiologist Dr. William Davis.  I have no interest in promoting this guy at all.  I just thought it might help some of you.  Myself, I was at 220 lbs. about 1 1/2 years ago.  It took a complete lifestyle change (going from working days to nights) to bring my weight down to 185 lbs.  Twice the exercise at work and staying away from the fast food joints did it for me.  Now if I can put down the Cancer Sticks, I'm golden!

denmarc said:
Let me throw this in... "Wheat Belly" by Cardiologist Dr. William Davis. 
denmarc Thanks for the info.
Wow that's amazing, your blood sugar rules our bodies in so many way.
How many years have they been promoting eating grains! Wonder where all
the research dollars are really going to?

Please understand, this Dr. Davis was talking about wheat and wheat products only (wheat flour).  Not any of the other grains.  He also mentioned wheat substitutes that can be used for the cooks and bread makers that decide to try it.

Just Don said:
Wow that's amazing, your blood sugar rules our bodies in so many way.
How many years have they been promoting eating grains! Wonder where all
the research dollars are really going to?

The popular Pretikin diet concentrated on fat, whereas Stillman, then Atkins and South Beach concentrate on carbs (sugars). South Beach goes farther in that it points out good fats vs. bad and good carbs vs. bad. The Atkins folks were eating as much fat from animals (bad fats) as they wanted - and that is not good.

Bad carbs are the simple ones that go mouth to stomach to blood stream very fast - causing spikes in blood sugar. Complex carbs take longer for the stomach to process and are slower to get to the bloodstream. This causes a more even energy source vs. the spikes.

Whole unprocessed wheat contains carbs, but they are slow to get past the stomach processes and into the blood. However, once the whole grains are processed - they become simple fast moving carbs. So even whole wheat bread is just as bad as a snickers for that reason. It has more nutrients than the snickers, but the sugars get to the blood stream just about as fast. Carbs are rated as better depending on how much fiber they are surrounded by. For example, brown rice is better than white rice. Most fruits, especially berries, contain more fiber so are slower to process than a donut.

denmarc said:
Let me throw this in...
I just happened to watch Dr. Oz last week while channel surfing.  He had another doctor on that wrote a book about the problem with wheat.  Oz sounded like he couldn't believe what he had read in the book and decided to do a test of his own.  He always promoted wheat and whole grains in your diet.

Apparently, wheat (when digested) attaches itself to the brain somehow that make you want to eat more because it makes you feel good.  Kind of like a drug that gets you high.  Like needing another Twinkie (Lots of withdrawl going on now, I'll bet!  ;D).  Anyway, it was stated by the other doc that eating wheat and wheat products can have the same effect, or worse, on your blood sugar as eating a candy bar.  Dr. Oz's test pertained to just that. 

5 women were used.  Each had their blood sugar checked for a base line.  They were then each given a couple slices of plain wheat bread and their blood sugar taken again an hour later.  24 hours pass and then each was given a Snickers Bar.  Blood sugar was checked again after 1 hour of eating the bar.

Results were 3 of the 5 women's blood sugar spiked over 2X's higher over the candy bar by just eating the wheat bread!

I'm not a follower of Dr Oz, but I thought it interesting.  Maybe, just maybe, there is something to this and it might have something to do with "the wall" a lot of you are experiencing.  For more info, Google "Wheat Belly" by Cardiologist Dr. William Davis.  I have no interest in promoting this guy at all.  I just thought it might help some of you.  Myself, I was at 220 lbs. about 1 1/2 years ago.  It took a complete lifestyle change (going from working days to nights) to bring my weight down to 185 lbs.  Twice the exercise at work and staying away from the fast food joints did it for me.  Now if I can put down the Cancer Sticks, I'm golden!

Wheat is carbs.  Carbs raise your blood sugar.  No surprise here.  One think I have noticed in the last few years is the number of foods that have gluten added.  That is why it is good to look at the glycemic index of a food, so you can be informed.

Paul

Paul & Ann said:
Wheat is carbs.  Carbs raise your blood sugar.  No surprise here.  One think I have noticed in the last few years is the number of foods that have gluten added.  That is why it is good to look at the glycemic index of a food, so you can be informed.

A grain of wheat includes a bran housing - high in fiber and nutrients.  83% of the grain is called the endosperm. It is a starchy high carb material. White bread has the bran stripped off so only contains the high carb centers of the grain. Plus the fiber is gone so digestion and sugar removal happens very fast.

The glycemic index used in the South Beach diet assigns a rating of 100 to a slice of white bread as a basis for comparing how fast the sugar is removed by the stomach into the blood stream. So if a certain food has a GI of 50, it will cause the blood sugar level to rise half as fast as a slice of white bread.

As Paul mentions, I found it a good idea to take a look at the GI of ones favorite foods and snacks to see their impact on blood sugar. I was fooled by a number of items as to their rating. Here are a few I found useful:

Whole Wheat Bread: 99
Oat bran bread: 68
Plain Begal: 103
Gluten free wheat bread: 129
Donut: 108, Waffle: 109

Shredded wheat: 99
Corn Flakes: 119
Rice bran: 27

Cherries: 32
Apple: 56
Watermelon: 103

Artichoke, broccoli, spinach, any variety of lettuce, green beans (and many others): minus 20
Tomatoes: 32
Corn: 78
Pumpkin: 107

Peanuts: 21
M&M's (peanut): 46
Snickers 57
Jelly beans: 114
Pretzels: 116

Of course, though white and whole wheat have the same bad effect on blood sugar, whole wheat has more nutrients. So if the GI is the same, I pick the one that is best for me -- sometimes.  :) An apple and a snickers have about the same GI, but given the choice I would most likely take the snickers.

Bob Buchanan said:
Of course, though white and whole wheat have the same bad effect on blood sugar, whole wheat has more nutrients. So if the GI is the same, I pick the one that is best for me -- sometimes.  :) An apple and a snickers have about the same GI, but given the choice I would most likely take the snickers.

You saved yourself with that last statement. Go for the Snickers bar!!!!!!!!!!!    :)

Jim Godward said:
You saved yourself with that last statement. Go for the Snickers bar!!!!!!!!!!!    :)

Unfortunately, Jim -- I know know the routine, but can't apply it. I think it's something called Dominant Motive - in that mine is eating good stuff vs. losing the pounds I need to lose.  :(

I read that snickers are the number 1 volume candy bar sales ever. Not sure of number 2 - perhaps Peanut M&M's. Dr. Agatston of the South Beach diet included those in the category of, "if you must have a candy bar", have one of these. I suppose it's due to the high peanut content of each.

Remember when they were a nickel a bar? And a big Pepsi to wash it down was only another nickel?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom