Loosing weight, can't get past two hundred.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob Buchanan said:
Remember when they were a nickel a bar? And a big Pepsi to wash it down was only another nickel?

We all know the routine and you know I am susceptible to good food.  I was doing fairly well till '95 when the meds and stress got me to over 250 and I have been fighting to get down ever since.  It has been 16 years since I took those meds and some of the side effects are still with me including about 1/3 of the additional weight.  Working on it and the loss of some of the effects of the meds is helping along with the reduced pain levels since my back surgery.  Exercises I wouldn't even think about a year ago are now easy.  If I can get my walking up to a reasonable amount... 

Now to get the rest of things under control and start traveling again!

Yes and the bars were bigger too.  Loved the old machines where you lifted the bottles out after putting in the nickel!!!

I read the other day, where I can't recall,
a box of corn flakes has more salt than a bag of chips!
So now I toss the salt card on the table..
I knew I was eating healthy when eating chips.. ;)

Well I'M going to watch my carbs intake more closely,
just from what you all have said.
When I was 350 I was close to being diabetic, had sleep apnea,
asthma, higher blood pressure and was taking all type of meds.
Happy to say I?M not taking the three meds for breathing,
Off of  the sleep machine(doc said I?M cured,
said once I never would be due to no neck).
Still take different blood pressure med?s.
But I have always been good looking...  8)

When I grind my own wheat and make bread it has all the fiber and that stuff is good and good for us.  But still its wheat I suppose.

However, I certainly know that Blue Belle Ice Cream has absolutely nothing to do with a weight problem.  And caramel or butterscotch topping or the chocolate that gets hard on top can absolutely NOT be part of the problem.  It is sooooo hard to walk by that freezer section :'( in the store. Sigh

My next door neighbor from when I was growing up actually had the nerve to send a picture of me from her photo album from 1965.  I know I was never that skinny, I told hubby and he started laughing, the nerve of that guy and the nerve of Patty, payback is going to be bad. :mad:

PatrioticStabilist said:
When I grind my own wheat and make bread it has all the fiber and that stuff is good and good for us.  But still its wheat I suppose.

Freshly baked bread "is" good - and I love it! Unfortunately, the heavy starch content (83%) that begins turning into sugar before it leaves ones mouth en route to the stomach is the biggest culprit of the ground wheat grain. If the grain remained whole, the stomach would have a greater chore in breaking thru the bran covering - but grinding releases it so it starts becoming sugar right away. The bran portion of a wheat grain "does" contain the fiber that is good for digestion and contains a lot of the nutrients of the grain, but has little effect once ground on the release of sugar.

My concerns are the fasting blood glucose numbers I receive. They are higher than they should be. So that is a different discussion than the nutrient content of wheat. Eating a slice of whole wheat or white bread is like eating a spoonful of sugar. And the older I get, the tougher it is to control the numbers I get.

One of the problems with the glycemic index is that it does not rank foods by their nutrient values - just how they impact blood sugar. White vs. whole wheat bread being an example. There are those lately that are writing books and articles on other problems with wheat - but I haven't gotten into that at all. If you Google, "the problems with wheat" you'll get tons of links.

Jeff said:
If rabbits like it we can have it. :-[

Nothing wrong with rabbit food --------------------------- if your a rabbit.

Whats for dinner? ----- salad. Salad is good, so I guess some rabbit food is good.

ken

Nothing wrong with salad. That's what we're having plus vegetarian chili and mac. Oops, that's carbs, ain't it? Oh well.

Wendy

I'm really struggling on my maintenance program this week.  Seems Christmas cookies, parties and  goodies have invaded my space. Sigh........It is a constant battle.  Especially to break  holiday traditions that involve food... really good food!

Just Don said:
Wendy that vegetarian chili sounds really good.

Nalley's Vegetarian Chili - 99% fat-free, uses soy instead of ground beef so it has the texture of regular chili. Mike even likes it.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Nalley's Vegetarian Chili - 99% fat-free, uses soy instead of ground beef so it has the texture of regular chili. Mike even likes it.

That's the good news, Wendy - unfortunately 67% of the calories in a one cup serving are carbs - plus, there are also 1110mg of salt per serving. So a 2 serving can contains almost a 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

As a chili lover, I've been up and down that chili aisle a dozen times reading labels. For some soups and most all chili it appears they have all this extra salt and nothing to do with it -- so they dump it into their soups and chili's.  :(

Bob,

I learned that lesson while trying to help my first wife control weight while on prednisone for years.  Got real good at getting reduced salt stuff.  We even started rinsing the canned vegetables to remove salt.  Now we can get salt free in the stores and that helps on Pat's low salt diet.  I can get away with salt and even a lot of carbs but if Pat has a few too many carbs her triglycerides go through the roof.  Not good.  On the other hand calories are my problem!!!!!    :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom