Diesel or gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OllieM

Looking at A-Class in the 34' - 38' range. Years 1997 - 2006 + or -. There are some nice diesels on the older end of the model years priced around the price point of newer gas models. Mileage is typically less than 70,000 on diesels versus 30,000 on the the gassers. My question is, based on the experiences of forum members, which would offer greater dependability and cost less in the long run. I am making the assumption that units have been maintained and stored equally. Thanks to all for guidance and suggestions.
Ollie

Ah yes the age old question.  Depends upon your use.  Gas if not used allot every year and no towing loads through very mountainous terrain.  Less maint. and lower cost to repair.  Diesel if lots of use and mountains.  I have a 35 footer and go to Canada twice a year and pull a 20 foot starcraft superfisherman.  Never any issues and pulls well. 

Great reply! I'm thinking 20,000 miles annually with a toad. Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains for fall trips. Would love to have a once a year trip out west.

I have had both and would not go back to gas. This is because, as mphy98 said, I live out west! I also love the power, stopping ability and ride quality I get with it. My gasser was smaller but it served our purpose also, at the time. The diesels can cost a bit more annually even if no issues except maintenance. My only suggestion is that if you really want to evaluate a gas rig don't test drive one with a diesel!  ;)

OllieM said:
Great reply! I'm thinking 20,000 miles annually with a toad. Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains for fall trips. Would love to have a once a year trip out west.

Make sure your estimates of usage are reasonably accurate if that's going to be your criteria for choosing diesel.  It's extremely hard for a non-full timer to find time to put 20K miles on a motorhome in one years time.  Especially, if one is not retired and free to travel at will.

I made a nearly four month trip from North Carolina to Alaska and back and accumulated <14K miles.

I appreciate my old, paid for, gasser more everyday.

BTW - I've towed a 3500lb 'toad' nearly 30k miles (from east to west and north to south) with no problem.

Just Lou, very good point regarding estimating miles per year. I've thought about it since your post and 12,000 is probably more accurate. I guess I lean toward the diesel because of their reputation for longevity.

OllieM said:
Just Lou, very good point regarding estimating miles per year. I've thought about it since your post and 12,000 is probably more accurate. I guess I lean toward the diesel because of their reputation for longevity.

Nothing wrong with that thinking.

Even 12,000 is a lot. A typical non-fulltimer does 6k-8k yearly, according to the RVIA (industry association). Remember, the idea is to go for recreation, not to be driving all the time!  ;)

A diesel pusher is a pleasure to drive, quieter inside (because of rear engine), probably has air suspension so smoother too. Fuel economy is better, but the fuel costs more, so that's a break-even. The main  drawback to a diesel for recreational use is upfront cost and expensive maintenance. In rigs up to about 36-37 feet, a gas chassis performs decently and gets ok fuel mileage, so it is an entirely adequate rig.

There are many, many discussions here about gas vs diesel, diesel costs, etc. May I suggest you use the SEARCH function (the one on the menu bar) to locate and read them.

Gary, thanks. I'll certainly use the search for more information. I'm in sales and plan on using the coach once a month for a 800 mile trip. Throw in half a dozen weekenders and vacation time and I think we will see 12,000 miles annually.

A lot is going to hinge on what condition it's in and was it well cared for by its previous owner. I looked at all kinds of used rigs spanning several years and that answer will be all over the map depending on what you're looking at. There's some good pre-owned stuff out there, but you really need to do your homework to find the good ones.

Floor plan is a huge factor too, so make sure you like it both closed for travel (make sure you can access everything!) and also opened up for your trips.

In diesel vs gas - it really, truly, honestly is subjective. There's no right or wrong, but rather what will work best for your own particular needs. How the heck do you figure that out, right? Well, first and foremost, see if you can get some test rides in a few diesel and gas rigs too - that can answer a lot of questions for sure right out the gate.  The diesels have better rides overall, but newer gas rigs are not the horror stories that many make them out to be.

I asked many of these same questions too, but ultimately found I had to physically get out there, get in each type, and generally 'feel' all these things out for myself before I could pull the trigger on gas vs diesel. And, since you're looking at later model used, this is even more important to get the overall picture of the one under consideration. After you do your internet and forum reading, the only way to answer that question is to try to get some real-world experience to get closer to what your decision will be.

As you can see from my signature, I went with new gas, since that is what worked better for us (primarily vacation use). Our rig is 37'7" and has a longer wheel base of 242", which I think helps the ride tremendously. From all the reading I did, it sounded like a lot of folks thought their gas rigs rode terribly, but that hasn't been our experience (thank goodness!). But, the only way I could "know" that, was to get out and experience it. It's very likely that someone sitting next to me might not think the same!

Not sure I'm that much help here, but best of luck in whatever you decide! :)

Thanks, go6car! I appreciate your experience. I'm ready to get out and see and feel the differences in the models. Hopefully, the hunt will be an enjoyable adventure.

There is one question that you have to ask yourself.  Is there ANY POSSIBLE chance that you would/could tow something over 5000lbs.  If so, don't even think  about a gasser, go with the diesel.  My wife and I have Packard show car that is hovering around the magical5K mark, we knew we could not tow it even with the Ford 460 class c that we had so we went out and got the diesel pusher.  We have not towed the Packard yet, but we can when we need to.

BLAKDUKE, good point about the towing limits. Never really crossed my mind as the toad would be Honda Accord or similar.

OllieM said:
BLAKDUKE, good point about the towing limits. Never really crossed my mind as the toad would be Honda Accord or similar.

I've towed a Honda Accord over 37K miles with and old gasser.

I got the gas rig because I didn't plan on driving it that much, I'm parked more than moving.  And I think of a diesel as dirty and greasy.  When I go to a gas station, I don't use a glove, and usually I'm not walking on oily spills. 
With the diesel, I always wear gloves, and many times still track that diesel smell on my shoes back inside.  But if I were to get a diesel, it would be 2003 or earlier, unless I found a 2004 with a pre-egr motor, (they are out there).  A diesel does have better drivability in a larger vehicle, because of its better torque curve.

Just Lou

I don't doubt it one bit.  The Accord, even if you are on a tow dolly or trailer is no where near the 5K limit.  I towed a Honda element on a tow dolly with my class c with no problem, but as I said we are faced with the possibility of a near 5K classic auto and a 2K trailer.  Towing that with a class-? anything gasser and I doubt the tranny would 500 miles.  In any event I would not want to chance it.

ALK 

Thanks for all the replies. Still in the looking stage and am not committed to one over the other. The way the unit has been maintained, floor plan and of course, price are all considerations.

I'm at the same point.  I'd like an older diesel but have been concerned about the risk and associated expense of major breakdowns.  Monday morning as I was checking out of a park, I talked to the owners of a 2002 Damon Intruder with a Vortec gasser.  The wife says it's a POS.  The husband is a bit kinder.  Over the past year or so he had to replace the engine and transmission.  I think he mentioned the total was $18.000.  Ouch!  So I'm thinking even the gassers can be expensive. 

I'd also like the ability to tow an enclosed car trailer but know a gasser is pretty much limited to 5,000 lbs.  Then Monday afternoon as we were heading into Borrego Springs, we're passed by a newer Winnebago Sightseer.  It's maybe 35 feet long and it's pulling an enclosed car trailer that's at least 20 feet long.  Hmmm.  I bet that weights more than 5,000.  I guess he hadn't heard.  ;)    Anyway, knowing that even a gasser can be almost as expensive, I'm back to looking for a diesel. 

very few gassers are pushers. when you have a pusher the motor is in the rear. that keeps the motor noises way lower than a gas. also the heat from the front motor under your feet can sometimes get kind of warm . i drive in my sock feet alot. we travelled to nova scotia in my buddies diesel pusher towing 5 touring bikes behind on a trailer. it was a load even for the diesel. my 37g is only rated for 5000 lbs. and could not have pulled the load we brought with the pusher. have fun shopping for your new coach.

Any engine replacement is going to be pricey, so that's not a terribly relevant piece of data. Try comparing the price of a fuel pump or a radiator and you will see that these more common repairs cost 2x-4x as much with a typical diesel. Ditto for annual maintenance - the drive train in a diesel Class A is probably going to run you several hundred dollars annually (unless you do it all yourself).

Edit: added an omitted word - no change in meaning.

Back
Top Bottom