Diesel or gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think drusher has some good points, but I will add that the more recent gas chassis coaches have solid-performing transmissions, either the Allison 1000MH ( 5 speed or 6 speed version) on a Workhorse or the Ford 5 speeds that came out around 2006.

drusher said:
Ford trannies stink -- often a 3 speed with a manual lockup.  If you forget to take the lockup off and do hills, you will eat the tranny alive.  Diesel will probably need much less work other than basic oil and other maintenance for a very long time.

I've heard the term manual lockup but don't understand how it works.  Doubt I'll ever end up with an older gasser but just in case, it would be nice to have an explanation.

in my opinion the criteria for a used M/H would be very different depending on your budget and intended use.

obviously if you spend vacation time 10 hours a day at 60 mph then a D/P no-slide is the best. 

if you want to spend the majority your vacation hours or full time in a park then interior layout and slides are a very important factor.

but ether way "condition" should be way up on the list.

if you pay the extra money for a older used diesel powered rig for the power advantage then you better budget in a bunch of money for the up-coming diesel maintenance, age and mileage are diesel cost factors, filters, pumps, turbos all have age limits regardless of mileage. 

you will get way more motorhome for the same money in a gas rig, but if you buy a gas rig it's just like buying a car, mileage is big. a gas rig with 90k is about done.

And then if  image is important a gas rig no mater how nice will get snubbed by the R/V park hierarchy ,

OllieM said:
Great reply! I'm thinking 20,000 miles annually with a toad. Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains for fall trips. Would love to have a once a year trip out west.

Neither the Smokies nor the Blue Ridge are very high compared to the western mountains, but they are every bit as steep. I would think that you would be happier with the diesel.

Joel

The math for a diesel just doesn't add up. It takes too long to make up the price difference. Both types of engines will outlast the coach. Gas gets you more RV for your money and a DP was way more cool to drive.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The newer gas chassis, say starting around 2002, are substantially stronger and more capable then earlier years. The Workhorse W2x series of chassis uses the same 50,000 psi steel used by Freightliner, and Ford matched it a year or two later. Weight rating improved to 22k and later 24k lbs, and tire sizes were increased to 22.5", "just like the big guys".

The above is what I have in my 2003 Pace Arrow 37A!

Scott  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom