What the Largest TV I can safely put in the MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

Not sure if this is a Winnebago issue, although I want to put it in a Win Adventurer 37G.

The previous owner put in a 27 inch flat screen in the front over the dog house.  It looks like they supported it with plywood.  I would like to put a larger screen TV in there for football.  They have 65" TVs now that weigh less than 100 lbs. 

1) What would you think is the largest/heaviest I could go? 

2) Where would you mount it?

Although it would be nice in the same place the other flat screen is, it doesn't have to be there.  And, I do worry about something falling while I'm driving.  I've already had things fall in transit that I forgot to secure before hitting the road.  Just little things, but it made me stop and look.  If a 65" TV falls on my head, I'll probably be stopping, but my looking days may well be over.

Attachments

• 21f3c338a374ebefa6c7_9.jpg
    21f3c338a374ebefa6c7_9.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 151
I have a 46 inch in my living room. All modern digital tvs come with VESA mounting holes in the back of the set. If you bolt the TV solidly to the VESA holes it will not come down.

Here are some better pictures of the living room.  I'd like to put it over that window over the easy chair behind the passenger seat, as I usually watch TV from the couch or the dinette, as I use my computer there.  But that window is a problem. 

I thought about putting it on the back wall where the mirror is, but the slide covers that up when it's in, so I think the slide would hit it.

Any suggestions where to put it?  I've seen 46" flat screens that are only 27" high and only 38 pounds.  Do you think it would be safe where the small flat screen is?

Attachments

• RV inside from back.jpg
    RV inside from back.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 142
  • RV Inside.jpg
    RV Inside.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 107
You might consider optimum viewing distances. Here is some interesting information on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance.

We have a 42' HDTV in the rear of the living room and have to watch it from the driver/passenger seats. You can be too close. I can see the stitches holding the players names on their jerseys from anywhere in the coach.

To Tom's point, using a properly secured VESA mount insures that flatscreens will go nowhere. I have four (factory installed, not my idea) and have not lost one yet.

skyking4ar2 said:
You might consider optimum viewing distances. Here is some interesting information on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance.

We have a 42' HDTV in the rear of the living room and have to watch it from the driver/passenger seats. You can be too close. I can see the stitches holding the players names on their jerseys from anywhere in the coach.

To Tom's point, using a properly secured VESA mount insures that flatscreens will go nowhere. I have four (factory installed, not my idea) and have not lost one yet.

I, personally, have thought that those "optimum viewing" distances are too conservative. Yes, you can be to close, but only when your entire periphery is the TV. I think in an RV, you'll run out of mounting space before you are too close.

Mylo

Here is what I consider to be the best option.  This pic is of the 42" buffet TV that is in my Journey.  If you could find a place for this set up, it works really cool.  It came as a stock feature from Winnie. 

Attachments

• 044a.jpg
    044a.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 114
SargeW said:
Here is what I consider to be the best option.  This pic is of the 42" buffet TV that is in my Journey.  If you could find a place for this set up, it works really cool.  It came as a stock feature from Winnie.

That TV descends into the desk? Those Winnie guys know how to pimp it out...

Mylo

When I was shopping for a new TV last year my main question was what was the largest TV that I could watch inside a motorhome (left to right, not front to back). I read several articles on optimum viewing distances and most concluded that 1.5 was the proper minimum distance. In other words I have an 8 foot wide coach. The TV is suspended one foot from the wall. My head rests on my chair about one foot from the opposite wall. That leaves me 6 feet or 72 inches between my eyeballs and the screen. For a 46 inch TV that means a minimum distance of 69 inches (46 + 23). So I bought a 46 inch TV after going to Walmart and standing exactly six feet from the TVs on display and making sure my calculations were correct.

However there is a small problem with viewing at that distance. If I am viewing a relatively new Blu ray the picture usually looks about as good as a TV can look. However if I watch an older movie then the grain becomes apparent and some times it is even distracting.

Think about a projector and a roll down screen. You can then adjust the size via the lens to fit whatever size screen fits your rig. Projectors nowdays are tiny. You will not get a perfect picture, but then my eyes aren't perfect either. Check 'em out at the store and see if that might be an option.

Ken

Older motor homes were designed to support CRT televisions and a decent size one often exceeded 100 pounds so weight is not much of an issue.. I just replaced one of my televisions and the new LCD/LED job (19" is kind of a "Featherweight" compared to the older LCD it repalced,, and that was a feather weight compared to the CRT it replaced.

(Got all the features I wanted too, AV in VGA in and RF in)  Plus one I did not know about USB port, plug in a USB memory stick and it will pause programming) and an HDMI (which I expected and actually DO have a use for thanks to this laptop)

As to "how big" that is a matter for your tape measure.. In my case the 19" size (Smaller than the NTSC model it replaced) was choisen by the tape measure, it fits the hole in the wall exactly in one dimension and I can fill in the other..

mylo said:
That TV descends into the desk? Those Winnie guys know how to pimp it out...
Mylo

Yes, there is a switch on the wall that raises and lowers the TV as needed.  There is also one by the recliners on the other side of the rig if I am just too lazy to stand up and walk over to it!  They put it in a buffet, bit I am sure that the same mechanism could be adapted to a much thinner cabinet. 

We have a 47" LG in our 88 and it mounts to the ceiling just above the doghouse.  When we drive it swings up to the ceiling (manually) and fastens to the ceiling.  Works well for us.

Problem with the buffet TV is that you can't watch it sitting at the dinette, can you?

Wendy

As I've thought about this, I was thinking of something like the buffet, stored behind the passenger seat.  Then I could raise it, which would cover the window, and it could be watched both from the couch or dinette.  It addition, as it would be lowered when in travel mode, I'd be secure about it staying put.  Just an idea at this time.  All the suggestions are appreciated.

Jim Godward said:
Look at the site I  suggested as they had some examples along the lines you are suggesting.  For me to do it, I would have to give up my computer work station.

you want a TV lift, try here, Firgelli Automation.http://www.firgelliauto.com/default.php?cPath=108

Great link thanks.  Yes, I'll have to give up my computer desk there, but I use the dinette for the computer instead.  I have a chair there as well that will be coming out.

Staff edit: Fix missing quote tag

99WinAdventurer37G said:
Great link thanks.  Yes, I'll have to give up my computer desk there, but I use the dinette for the computer instead.  I have a chair there as well that will be coming out.

SWMBO says NO computer stuff on the dinette or in the Kitchen so NO TV across from the couch!  :)

Wendy said:
Problem with the buffet TV is that you can't watch it sitting at the dinette, can you?

Wendy

Actually you can, but you wouldn't want to do it long term.  Usually if we want to watch something while we eat, we usually sit in the recliners across from the TV, or use the 32" mounted over the windshield.  Normally we watch the buffet TV from alternate locations around the RV, and not at the dining table. 

SargeW said:
Actually you can, but you wouldn't want to do it long term.  Usually if we want to watch something while we eat, we usually sit in the recliners across from the TV, or use the 32" mounted over the windshield.  Normally we watch the buffet TV from alternate locations around the RV, and not at the dining table.

Well, that makes sense. Maybe we'll have to take another look at that floorplan.

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom