Sensible LJ Mods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SVTotem

I have been looking for an 05-06 LJR (thanks John for that guidance) for three months with no luck in the central Florida area. In this time I have found two within two hundred miles: one had accident history and the other we could not come to terms on price. So... In the event that I have still not had any luck by years end I may settle for an LG in that same year range.

What mods would make sense for an LJ that will be driven on-road 90% of the time, would be towed 6-10K miles per year, and would not be used for serious crawling. We want to do trail running and might try modest obstacles, but only what the vehicle can easily handle in its state of preparation. After market bumpers for tow hookup (front) and towing receiver (rear) are known, but what about lift and tires without hampering tow-ability and street handling? Other suggestions?

I am very happy this forum was started and look forward to getting smart enough to be a contributor.

Edit by John - Bill is now looking at an LJ and not an LG  ;)

Hi Bill,

I think you mean LJ and not LG?  I would shoot for a 4" suspension lift, 32-33" tires, and 4:88 differential gears to begin with, you can have a bunch of fun on easy to moderate trails (assuming you are looking at a Rubicon model) with this setup.  Next step up (and a huge step up in off-road performance) would be an after-market treatment for the front swaybar.  The ORO product lets you retain the on-road friendly body roll behavior (as in not much) to letting the front axle really articulate in the disconnected mode for running trails.  $3-5K to get to this stage of your never-ending build  ;D.

Then when you discover how much fun running trails is, you will start throwing a bunch more money in upgrades  :p.

If you found a virgin LJ Rubicon, I would be amazed - what does it have that's not stock, or is it indeed unmodified?

Larger tires contribute to front tire scrub when towing 4-down, so you will have accelerated front tire wear, so you will need to be rotating tires every 5K miles or so.  Roadmaster sells a tow bar base plate that is easy to install, so no worries there.

Oh, STRONGLY recommend you buy an auto transmission equipped LJ - you would hate a stick shift on the trails.

Yikes, must have been a senior moment or an Autocorrect thing. I would try to say it was a typo, but I did it several times, so the best I can hope for is poor pre-post editing.

Your comments are in line with my thinking, although I might not have gone for 4" of lift for fear of adversely affecting handling on the road. Your comments presuppose the Rubicon version, but that is where I am having trouble. I am finding Rubicons and LJs, but not Rubicon LJs, and wonder what I would have to do to get a straight LJ reasonably ready. Sounds like you would suggest going with a Rubi TJ before a straight LJ.

Well, I think I got my Js and Gs right this time. The Mac did not try to make the conversion. I will check the WIN8 machine that the other posting was done from, but it looks like the error was all me.

Here's one (http://tinyurl.com/bo55lcf) with 33s and a hardtop - ready to go but it's in Arizona (that's a good thing.)  You absolutely want a Rubicon unless you want to pay a 4x4 shop to change out the axles, add gears, lockers, and a 4:1 transfer case - now you're getting into some serious $$ .  You should look at Jeepforum for vehicles for sale, Autotrader, etc.  You will have to travel to find one (and be patient), but it will be well worth the aggravation and complication.

That is a great looking Jeep but 5K over budget.

I have been watching Autotrader and Edmunds as well as some local dealers sites. The few LJRs coming up are in SC, NC and North GA. The one with an accident history in St Augustine is the closest at three hours away. If it is still available when I get back from camping at Ft De Soto next week I will likely drive up there and take a look.

The one with an accident history might be a suitable candidate depending of course on the accident particulars.  As long as the frame wasn't involved, no big deal.  If/when you test drive it, have somebody drive it while you tag along behind to see if it tracks straight (not crabbing.)

Another has popped up in Jacksonville. Hopefully it will still be available when I return from Ft DeSoto Thursday. The accident jeep is in that part of the state, so I will try to see them both. Since the problem jeep was supposedly owned by a friend of the dealer's owner maybe they can get photos of the damage or at least a better description. Just how forthright they will be is up for grabs, but it will be a start. The salesman said that the after market bumpers were a result of the accident which I took as indicating a potential for damage to the frame.

Here's hoping I can make something happen.

The frame rails of the accident LJ should be very easy to inspect for damage or evidence that it was straightened. Take a good flashlight and a furniture pad or tarp with you to lay on while you give the undersides a good look-over.

Back
Top Bottom