Great RV Escapes For Real or Scam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huntnski

Ok just moved from 5th wheel to class
A and now I'm getting e-mails for "Great RV Escapes" offering 50% off on rv site rentals nation wide for what seems like a one time offer of $47.99. Is this for real or just a scam to get my $47.99, and is it worth it. Trying to read between the lines it appears these sites my be in the boonnies! I may be wrong. Also offer is over on Dec. 6th.

Just ran a Google search and did not find any "Great RV Escapes"
Did find Great Escapes RV, it's not registered with the Better Business Bureau and seems to be a Rental Company.

They appear to be a relatively new operation with an address in Chicago. Their web site is still largely under construction, and they appear to be trying to get RVers and campground owners to sign up. I know nothing about them beyond what I read on their site, but you can make your own judgement after reading the following statements on their page for park owners:

"... when you refer any camper to our program who becomes a subscriber, you get a 75% referral commission. This is the highest commission paid out by any network in North America. When someone is referred by your park or resort, we track your earnings by your Park ID #.

Direct Mail Campaigns: We distribute your park's brochure or other material to millions of RV owners each year. This is a proven way to increase the amount of campers that visit your park each year.

Unlike any other discount/referral network, we promote your park's full price rate first and foremost and only use the discount rate to fill any sites that may have otherwise gone vacant."

I googled great rv escapes and the first result is greatrvescapes.com. As Tom said this looks like a new site that uses Wordpress which is a popular DIY website software and blogging site. They have a campground listing which may be nothing more than a simple directory.

There really seems to be no reason to join aside from a vague statement about "saving 50% or more" but there is no mention what the savings is based upon, what the rules would be , etc.

Red flag.

Thanks for all your replies. I felt this was too good to be true but thought I'd give it a run by the old guards of rvforum, Thanks again. The old guards reference does not imply the age of any individual, just experience.

I have never heard of Great RV Escapes, so cannot comment on it.

For a number of years I have been a life member of Passport America. We get about a 50 percent dicount on any Pasport America Park. The Passport America Directory has, I believe, over 1000 parks listed, and we have been very happy with our membership over the years.

We are also life members of Good Sam and KOA where we enjoy a 10 percent discount at each. We save considerable every year from our life memberships.

I joined Great RV Escapes around 4 years ago. Every campground that I went to that was listed never heard of them.
When I tried to contact them all I got was a recording.
It looks like they are starting up again.
Same person, same name.
You be the judge.

Sounds a lot like the "RV Park Super Guide" which as far as I can tell is wothless. I block their email crap and they just use a different domain name to send more crap.

Hey Huntnski,

Like Will said, Passport America is a good one to join. it has 1800 member CG's and you get 50% off with a few restrictions. It runs about the same price and is not a scam. My membership was way more than paid for on my first trip.

Steve

:mad:  I just got an email from them today, at a price of $39.97 for a lifetime...which they said was ? off. But it had a link saying if you sign up today save 75%. I replied back and was told it would be $39.97 which is ? not 75%. We went back and forth about 6 emails with him back-pedaling and being very evasive. I finally told him I was getting a scam vibe and he told me "good luck in my travels" Glad I listened to my gut... 

It's really great when that gut feeling is not just GAS! I had the same feeling and felt much better once I got replys from this forum. Thanks to those that replyed. Merry Christmas!

Tom said:
"... when you refer any camper to our program who becomes a subscriber, you get a 75% referral commission. This is the highest commission paid out by any network in North America. When someone is referred by your park or resort, we track your earnings by your Park ID #.

This is a pyramid (Ponzi) scheme and nothing more. They are trying to talk you into buying in so you can become an obnoxious seller. Duh...

Please be aware that the Great RV Escapes programme is a giant rip off.
I joined and paid my membership April 2013.The first 4 campgrounds I approached had never heard of this company and declined to honour the discount on offer from Great RV Escapes.I wrote back to Great RV Escapes and reminded them that they had advertised a money back guarantee and explained the problems I had encountered and asked for my money back.
They came back to me saying I had put one over them as my card had been declined,yet they had sent me a membership card.I sent them proof that my credit card had been billed and they simply said they never received it and I should go to my bank and sort it out.....and I will certainly do this.....but please be aware this is not a reputable company!!!!  Matt

I think I've been scammed...sent them $47.00 for their book of campground discounts...back in July....still waiting.Guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

datbone said:
I think I've been scammed...sent them $47.00 for their book of campground discounts...back in July....still waiting.Guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

I hope you used a credit card.  You have recourse if you did.

I want to thank everyone that replied to this thread. We where looking at this and wondered if it was a scam. Now we know. Also, you all helped us find Passport American. We are so new to RVing that we haven't even picked up our trailer from the dealer. Thanks again for all the help.

I read this thread, and although it is older, I felt compelled to offer our personal experience with the company.
Yes, they are fairly new, & far from scammers or con artists. Many online businesses offer an incentive for referals. This enables them to grow quickly. If you use a company and are pleased, word of mouth can often be the best advertisement, and it multiplies their base of consumers. Referrals from pleased consumers is free and saves tremendously  on the high margin of advertising costs.

We bought this membership last summer and are quite pleased. A few of the sites are $5.+ more than the advertised fee, but nothing huge in cost. These guides can be offered to the buyer at a tremendously low price, due to the fact that you are NOT shipped the actual books. You receive a link and password, and a plastic card with your name, etc., and a # on it to present to the park you will be using.

It has been extremely helpful to us, due to the fact that these are listed, state by state and city by city after YOU print them out. Included are phone #'s for the park, address, and hours of operation + costs and brief guidelines.

It is legitimate I feel, and NOT a scheme, so do not hesitate if you could use info on parks. We found it a lot easier to look up a particular state and locate availability, BEFORE we leave home. (This 'ole gal is too old to be a gypsy )!

I hope this helped someONE ! That was my only goal. God bless you ! 

:-[I  too joined this rip off outfit.  Waited in vain for their directory,  when I finally got access to the WONDERFUL WEB SITE THERE WERE PDF FILES OF LISTS OF OBSCURE RV PARKS TO DOWN LOAD.  I tried to check some by phone and all I tried were not in business any more. :-[

Definitely a scam....

stefanib said:
I read this thread, and although it is older, I felt compelled to offer our personal experience with the company.
Yes, they are fairly new, & far from scammers or con artists. Many online businesses offer an incentive for referals. This enables them to grow quickly. If you use a company and are pleased, word of mouth can often be the best advertisement, and it multiplies their base of consumers. Referrals from pleased consumers is free and saves tremendously  on the high margin of advertising costs.

Such a glowing recommendation..... and only their 2nd post.

Tom Hoffman said:
:-[I  too joined this rip off outfit.  Waited in vain for their directory,  when I finally got access to the WONDERFUL WEB SITE THERE WERE PDF FILES OF LISTS OF OBSCURE RV PARKS TO DOWN LOAD.  I tried to check some by phone and all I tried were not in business any more. :-[

Definitely a scam....
I am sorry to hear that. We have absolutely NO problem using the directory. Yes, u do have to download it and print it out. That is how they save big $$ !

Back
Top Bottom