EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Great RV Escapes For Real or Scam?  (Read 45183 times)

znerf

• ---
Re: Great RV Escapes For Real or Scam?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
It is a scam once they get your Email address they never let go. I contacted them 2 years ago for some info with my e address and now I get last chance mail every day called and they will not stop.
Gary & Gail
Keystone 318 SAB
2015 F350, 6.7 Diesel,3.55 rear,4X4
Brant Lake,NY

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »
It is a scam once they get your Email address they never let go. I contacted them 2 years ago for some info with my e address and now I get last chance mail every day called and they will not stop.

A quickie solution that will work.... Put their Email address in your Blocked Sender List if you have that feature.

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

ObJuanKanOb

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »
Be afraid, be very afraid.  This is a shady operation bordering on a scam.  They should be embarassed for what they put out.  Largest list of out of date, obscure out of business RV parks.  Not to mention the rude, crude and, degrading service when you call them.  Nope, not for me.  Buyer be warned.  The BBB has. >:(

Laxadayzacal

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
You must have been sent a defective Passport America Campground book. My Passport America Campground book has the exceptions in the same size font as the rest of the description for the particular park. I do find that the entire park descriptions for some parks are entirely in a smaller size font based on the length of the park description. They allow a definite sized space for each park description and use a smaller font to force the entire description into the allotted space.

I also agree that the exceptions are at times frustrating but I have found that they are fully explained.

R

Totally agree, we joined Passport America last year for 1 year to try it out. It was worth the money, but we researched the places we wonted to go before we left. We knew in advance the blackout and restriction dates and planned accordingly.

I'm researching Good Sam to maybe try that for this year or do Passport again. I found a blog with all negative reviews of Good Sam with the overwhelming theme that there customer service over that last few years has really dropped off. Anyone care to comment? Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Some nights were bright
I wish that I could live it all again.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »
The Good Sam discount is only 10% (sometimes 15%) while Passport America is always 50% when available.  Also, Good Sam customer service is not involved in the campgrounds at all.  You could join both programs if you can save enough from each to pay for them, they aren't mutually exclusive.  PA will pay for itself in typically 2 or 3 nights a year, while the GS program will take considerably more nights.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

rvpkw

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
they at it again advertising on the AARP website.  Thanks guys for the heads up

Jerry Beatty

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 06:39:17 PM »
this is the biggest rip off there is.  I did join, and tried to use at over a dozen places and no one would take.  I asked for the refund they offer and they said they asked for the card back and the told me that they would not refund the money.  I am going to the CC company and requesting a reversal of the charges.  DOT NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM.....

KennethS729

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »
I joined this before checking--bad decision!! Got my membership card & started calling some of the listed RV parks, called 15 & not one of them is affiliated with this club or offer any discounts. I notified Great RV Escapes to cancel my membership & refund my $97.00.
Got an e-mail from them signed by Tim Harris that I had to return the card before any refund would be applied back to my credit card, I mailed it today.
Will never join anything again before checking.

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »
WOW, that scam has gotten more expensive.  I only paid $36 two years ago.  Doesn't success make your heart feel good for them.  They have found a club of useful idiots and learned how to exploit them. ::)

Greed is wonderful... ;D
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

Jim Schneller

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for those posting in this thread.  While online I clicked on the ad.  I had to give them my email to get my "free" directory ... which I did not receive.  I then listened to the spiel but before clicking on any button did a search and found this discussion.  Needless to say, after reading this thread, I closed the browser window, let my wife know that if we receive anything from them via email to immediately delete the message with no response, and joined this forum.

We are new to RVing, having just purchased our a few months ago.  Already I can see the help this site will be.

Thanks!

Jim

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »
Jim,   Welcome,

Yes, this site is a font of helpful knowledge most of it learned the the knowledge the hard and expensive way.

Nothing beats a phone call to a potential campground.  If you are frugal, there are sometimes CG that don't advertise much at all.  It takes work to find them.  Some are hidden gems and some are hidden land fill sites.

Cheers,

Tom...
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

Office Manager

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 08:03:57 AM »
I know this is an old post but I felt I needed to respond because apparently this company is still having issues with it's members and park affiliations.

I'm the office mgr. for a South Alabama RV Park. About a month ago we got a call from someone wanting to reserve an overnight site using the  Great RV Escapes membership. We've been open 8 years and had never heard of this club before, but as a good will gesture, we offered the caller a discounted rate. A couple weeks later, we got a second call from a new GRE member. Again we told the caller we'd never heard of Great RV Escapes but we would accommodate him. When he came in he gave me a copy of his welcome letter and of our ad in the GRE directory. (The ad looked to me to be from an old directory belonging to a reputable company with which we do business.) He also told me he'd called 5 parks and no one had heard of GRE, that  he'd attempted to contact GRE but hadn't heard back from them. As luck would have it, they called while he was in my office and when he told them he'd called 5 parks and no one had heard of them, they immediately offered to cancel his membership.

As for my end, I have attempted to contact Walter Thompson the Chairman (according to the Web site and Welcome letter) multiple times to inform him we have no desire to be affiliated with his company and to remove our listing from the directory but have not been able to reach him, nor received a response to my phone calls or emails. I do know Great RV Escapes has a Facebook page and will try that route if he does not reply within the next few days.

Good Luck

Jan

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 11:59:46 AM »
Interesting Office Manager. It was very courteous of you to offer those RVers discounts. You certainly weren't obligated to. Out of curiosity, I went to the Great RV Escapes website and looked for campgrounds near us that they claim to be affiliated with. I picked one at random (Lake Morena RV Park) and called them. The lady who answered the phone said the only organization they're affiliated with is Passport America. When I specifically asked her about Great RV Escapes, she said she'd never heard of them. Buyer beware I guess.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Pathfinder358

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 01:31:06 PM »
No doubt, Great RV Escapes is a total SCAM.  I have been calling RV parks from the offered guide, and not one has told me they honor the discount.  Stay away from this one.

Mopar1973Man

• ---
  • Dodge Cummins Powered / Jayco Eagle Living
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 06:38:32 PM »
Personally I not much for joining any membership base RV clubs at all. Being majority of my time is boondocking and without hook ups its really hard to find a club for boondockers. Like I mention most of the time I live with a gap of 500 feet on both sides of me. Why would I want to park some where with people close to me?  ::) I say learn how to boondock and go without hookups it much much more enjoyable.
Mopar1973Man (AKA: Michael Nelson) located out in the state of Idaho with...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
2000 Jayco Eagle FBS 296
2013 BigTex 70TV Utility Trailer

bswartz

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
Started receiving emails from this outfit after purchasing new motor home.  Little research at BBB in Huntington Beach, CA, address listed in emails shows they are not a member, have a "F" rating with two unresolved complaints.

Smells like a scam to me.

Rich W.

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »
Concerning Great RV escapes. It looks like they are trying something new. I was looking for campgrounds in Maryland on the web and their ad jumped up and told me I had to join immediately or I would not be able to join in the future. If that is not a scam I don't know what is. Rich W.

happycamper54

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »
Purchased this directory to save $ on travel expenses. Before making a few trips, we decided to google map the area using satellite technology. Boy am I glad we did. That and a few other resources. Some of the campgrounds appeared to be built in the 50's with no upgrades. Some appeared to be extended stay campgrounds that had basically junk vehicles parked around the perimeter. And one in Idaho, it sits right next to the Clearwater river to the west and 150' to the east, the railroad yard sits. No, some if not most of these campgrounds are not family friendly. Lessoned well learned for me. It appears the old saying, "you get just what you paid for" is pretty evident here. Its too bad that people don't do some leg work before they promote something. There are those who do but for those that don't, they blemish the good ones.  >:(

Martyzee

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
 :-[
Spent $97 for 4 years. Started checking it out. Then found you. Oh well, live and learn.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:53:48 AM by Martyzee »

Hosted by Over The Network