Great RV Escapes For Real or Scam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no way to know all the facts on these post. However, people have been known to write good reviews on their on  businesses, hotels, campgrounds...etc. Therefore, when one sees several bad reviews and then sees an over glowing review, then it makes one wonder. Would make my red flag go up.

Frank

stefanib, I just read my last post. One could read that post and conclude that I was attaching you and your post. That was not my intent.  Sorry.  :)

Frank Hurst said:
I have no way to know all the facts on these post. However, people have been known to write good reviews on their on  businesses, hotels, campgrounds...etc. Therefore, when one sees several bad reviews and then sees an over glowing review, then it makes one wonder. Would make my red flag go up.

Frank
Believe me the Great RV Escapes is NOT my site, business, & I have no interest in it,
other than my lifetime member card, and lots of GOOD choices, which are in my budget !
One thing about me, I will ONLY post the truth and never attempt to color anything that I post on here.
No problem with the 1st post you made, I am not angry.

I am a very up front person, tell it like it is, and sometimes offend others, but bluntness
is definitely one of my personality traits. I would like to change it at times, but then
my life would be so boring !

Thank you Rv Forum Community. I bought the full membership of Great RV Escapes yesterday online and then ran across your site with several dissatisfied people who bought the program. All I received by email was the free directory - no membership info and no $25 discount coupon. After phoning several campgrounds I found only 1 out of 5 who gave a discount to this company's members. I phoned to cancel my membership but only got a recording to leave a message. I'm not sure whether their program is a scam or just an incompetent attempt to create a savings program for RV'rs. On their site and when you call it appears that their first interest is to sign up campgrounds. So I will give them the benefit of the doubt. They may be trying to build both the campground and the RV'r base simultaneously by justifying "potential" numbers as real.
Too make a long story short I call AMEX to remove the charge for membership. AT THIS TIME I DON'T THINK IT IS A GOOD DEAL FOR SUBSCRIBERS.

Ordered the "hard copy" of their guide for $14.97.  Received a CD.  Fortunately paid by PayPal.  Received a full refund.  If you are looking for a CD this is great.  Looking for a hard copy?  Not so good.

Sneaky scam.  4/8/2014 I thought I was ordering a $6 RV directory. After providing my card number for the book to Great RV Escapes, a lightening quick screen popped up from Outdoor Recreation Group.  I carelessly hit a button that  gave them approval to charge me $147.00 for a lifetime membership, thinking I was approving the charge for the book.  There had been no explanation as to what I was approving. They switched from the book to this club with no explanation and they "got" me.  After talking to my bank and Outdoor Recreation Group I'm in the process of getting my money back.  This is no way for a legitimate company to operate. An Outdoor Rec. Group told me I was the only unhappy customer of their thousands. Wish I would have researched and seen this forum before I tried to order the directory, which I haven't seen yet.

Even Passport, bless their hearts, has limits that undermine the program... the last 6 RV parks where we tried to use Passport, had exclusions in very small print that prevented us from realizing any discount.  Seems to happen more and more compare to a few years ago when it was unusual.  One place advertised "senior discount rates" in big bold print but only allocated 3 sites for that price and, of course, those were filled weeks in advance.  Welcome to the land of deceptive advertising.

taoshum said:
Even Passport, bless their hearts, has limits that undermine the program... the last 6 RV parks where we tried to use Passport, had exclusions in very small print that prevented us from realizing any discount.

You must have been sent a defective Passport America Campground book. My Passport America Campground book has the exceptions in the same size font as the rest of the description for the particular park. I do find that the entire park descriptions for some parks are entirely in a smaller size font based on the length of the park description. They allow a definite sized space for each park description and use a smaller font to force the entire description into the allotted space.

I also agree that the exceptions are at times frustrating but I have found that they are fully explained.

R

This is obviously a scam. I had never heard of them until I searched the Good Sam Website for campground directories then these guys pop up with a free hard copy of North American RV Park Directory. All I had to do was pay $5.60 for shipping. Well, what I finally received in the mail was a mail envelope that was open containing a CD case that was used with a used CD in it with no instructions to load anything. What the CD contained was a bunch of PDF files sorted by state. So I did some browsing and found there were only two campgrounds listed for Las Vegas and none for the town I live in. What a rip off. On top of that I had to add these folks to my spam blocker data base because of all the junk mail I started getting.

It is a scam once they get your Email address they never let go. I contacted them 2 years ago for some info with my e address and now I get last chance mail every day called and they will not stop.

znerf said:
It is a scam once they get your Email address they never let go. I contacted them 2 years ago for some info with my e address and now I get last chance mail every day called and they will not stop.

A quickie solution that will work.... Put their Email address in your Blocked Sender List if you have that feature.

Be afraid, be very afraid.  This is a shady operation bordering on a scam.  They should be embarassed for what they put out.  Largest list of out of date, obscure out of business RV parks.  Not to mention the rude, crude and, degrading service when you call them.  Nope, not for me.  Buyer be warned.  The BBB has. :mad:

RLSharp said:
You must have been sent a defective Passport America Campground book. My Passport America Campground book has the exceptions in the same size font as the rest of the description for the particular park. I do find that the entire park descriptions for some parks are entirely in a smaller size font based on the length of the park description. They allow a definite sized space for each park description and use a smaller font to force the entire description into the allotted space.

I also agree that the exceptions are at times frustrating but I have found that they are fully explained.

R

Totally agree, we joined Passport America last year for 1 year to try it out. It was worth the money, but we researched the places we wonted to go before we left. We knew in advance the blackout and restriction dates and planned accordingly.

I'm researching Good Sam to maybe try that for this year or do Passport again. I found a blog with all negative reviews of Good Sam with the overwhelming theme that there customer service over that last few years has really dropped off. Anyone care to comment? Thanks in advance.

Stephen

The Good Sam discount is only 10% (sometimes 15%) while Passport America is always 50% when available.  Also, Good Sam customer service is not involved in the campgrounds at all.  You could join both programs if you can save enough from each to pay for them, they aren't mutually exclusive.  PA will pay for itself in typically 2 or 3 nights a year, while the GS program will take considerably more nights.

they at it again advertising on the AARP website.  Thanks guys for the heads up

this is the biggest rip off there is.  I did join, and tried to use at over a dozen places and no one would take.  I asked for the refund they offer and they said they asked for the card back and the told me that they would not refund the money.  I am going to the CC company and requesting a reversal of the charges.  DOT NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM.....

I joined this before checking--bad decision!! Got my membership card & started calling some of the listed RV parks, called 15 & not one of them is affiliated with this club or offer any discounts. I notified Great RV Escapes to cancel my membership & refund my $97.00.
Got an e-mail from them signed by Tim Harris that I had to return the card before any refund would be applied back to my credit card, I mailed it today.
Will never join anything again before checking.

WOW, that scam has gotten more expensive.  I only paid $36 two years ago.  Doesn't success make your heart feel good for them.  They have found a club of useful idiots and learned how to exploit them. ::)

Greed is wonderful... ;D

Just wanted to say thanks for those posting in this thread.  While online I clicked on the ad.  I had to give them my email to get my "free" directory ... which I did not receive.  I then listened to the spiel but before clicking on any button did a search and found this discussion.  Needless to say, after reading this thread, I closed the browser window, let my wife know that if we receive anything from them via email to immediately delete the message with no response, and joined this forum.

We are new to RVing, having just purchased our a few months ago.  Already I can see the help this site will be.

Thanks!

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom