Generac Generator won't Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qc91

we have a Generac 09712-2 NP-50G in are RV and recently it doesn?t start we check the fuel pump and gas is moving thru it we did spry some carburetor cleaner in the carburetor and it did run for about 3 to 4 Seconds then quits any help would be appreciated

Thanks

If spraying the carb works, then you have a fuel delivery problem. Could be the carb itself is gummed up, or could be that fuel delivery pressure is low or full of air bubbles from a leak in the feed line from the tank. A pinhole or tiny crack is enough to suck air or reduce pressure.

One test is to put a short length of new tubing on the fuel pump intake and put other end in a can of gas. If that works, you know the problem is in the fuel line. If it doesn't work, the problem is in the pump or carb.

If you haven't been running the generator regularly, chances are good the carb is bllocked with varnish from evaporated fuel. It will need a thorough cleaning of the jets or a re-build.

And some Seafoam in the can would be nice.... :)

Good luck,
Dan

HI, Thanks everyone for the help we are going work on it this weekend I will try all of your advice and let all of you know thanks again for all the help

Thanks

Biggest issue is that generator aint spelled Onan..lol. I was having fits for a while with my REAL generator and got a mechanical minded fellow to come look at it. It was the electrical contact points was the issue. Aint had a problem since that time and that has been many moons ago. Not sure its the same malfunction of course but would be something to put on the to-do list before having some scammy RV fixit place relieve you of a tub of money.

Is it possible that you are low on fuel? If the generator runs off of fuel tank, the fuel line to generator is usually around the 1/4 tank mark so that you don't run out of fuel for motor. This is no admission on my part that I may or may not be speaking from experience.

I have the same generator and if it runs with the cleaner I would remove the screw from the bottom of the carb bowl and remove the bowl to see if you have any fuel in it, if not push the primer switch and see it you get any fuel. If no fuel next I would remove the hose at the carb and try the primer again, if you get fuel remove the carb and clean it, I don't think you will need a kit just a good cleaning.I would remove the bowl first because that's where the problem normally is and it's a good time to clean the bowl.

Denny

Victory said:
Is it possible that you are low on fuel? If the generator runs off of fuel tank, the fuel line to generator is usually around the 1/4 tank mark so that you don't run out of fuel for motor. This is no admission on my part that I may or may not be speaking from experience.

This was my problem. I feel silly for calling an Electrician for a quote.  ($100/hour minimum 4 hours) (Diagnostic)
Yikes!
My Generator just hit 100 hours, I knew it had to be something super simple.

I have a Generac model number 09712?2. Generter there's 20a and 30a i turned both on did I wrecked my generator I know the 30 you and see if you have the air on and the 20 is regular use now

Galoe7 said:
I have a Generac model number 09712?2. Generter there's 20a and 30a i turned both on did I wrecked my generator I know the 30 you and see if you have the air on and the 20 is regular use now

Welcome to the forum. I would highly recommend you start your own post to get better exposure. Also, can you rewrite your post? The way it's written it's a little confusing. Give us as much information as possible.

Galoe7 said:

No you didn't hurt anything, they are separate circuits, you use the 30 and breaker if your rv has a 30 amp service, if you have a 50 amp trailer you would use the 20 anp also but on the second other leg. If you have a 30 amp trailer the 20 amp circuit wouldn't be used.

Denny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom