Strange way to get kicked out of Walmart parking lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
singlemom7 said:
We stayed here last night.......we planned on leaving here when we got done shopping today.

Unrealistic goal?  I'm new but feel I did my part.  I've been wrong before.

Is there a fuller story out there? Lol

I guess I didnt realize you had stayed there the night before.  That does make a difference.

Paul

I don't think it's a matter of who has the authority, the property management or WM mngmt.  If it's a matter of a city ordinance as he wrote on the business card then it was just a courtesy notice and the local police or code enforcement have the "authority".  And for code enforcement to come out, it usually has to be reported by somebody and called in.

It looks like the property management was just providing a courtesy notice and if that's the case, it was nice of them.

Well for the most part I think this is a dead thread. But I will make another point here. This person was in the parking lot sometime yesterday and spent the night last night, they are still there for breakfast and lunch by thier own words and beyond. Seems to show intent to stay longer regardless of the intent. They then in talking in this thread start complaining about management and garbage on the grounds (the business card!) The more they wrote the more out of line it seemed they were. Any allowed stay over at a Walmart is only intended to be for a safety few winks and then move on, not to stay days for free as this appears to be done. MHO

ironrat said:
Any allowed stay over at a Walmart is only intended to be for a safety few winks and then move on, not to stay days for free as this appears to be done.
Why? If Walmart doesn't care then why should you care how long someone stays in a Walmart parking lot?

I'm too nice to hurt anyone's feelings being knew and a dumb ol girl but I think obviously from my loads of reading that this is in fact not a dead topic.  Btw, we are off property and spoke with an officer that said he saw nothing wrong since Walmart said ok.  Let's pretend he's new like me and didn't know better, he still hates litter.

If Walmart said it's ok, then I'd figure it's ok and ignore some random business card dropped on the ground near my coach. If Walmart said 'get out' then I'd get out. Who knows where that business card came from?

Wendy

Wendy-

Honestly I did for a moment think since it only applied to me if I said so.......however, my new self on the road is learning to pick my battles.  Being new to the rv world just thought I would mention the incident if you will.

Thanks for nt attempting to make me feel 2 inches high.

Trust me if I really wanted to win that battle I would have broke out the mental dukes...lol

What the heck, I'll kick the dead horse myself.  I would guess it was not litter.  It was likely left on your coach and fell off.  However, if it was litter, it was likely put on another coach and fell off or was tossed making it litter. 

If you were leaving that day anyway, I don't see there being any real issue. 

I don't care for a WalMart, but will stay in one if need arises.  Probably in the past 12 years only maybe 1/2 dozen nights?  2 were horrible, others OK. 

Thanks for the help y'all! I'm in an rv park for maybe three days before I head out again.

Would I do anything different?  Nah

singlemom7 said:
Thanks for the help y'all! I'm in an rv park for maybe three days before I head out again.

Would I do anything different?  Nah

You go girl! ;)

I just checked overnightrvparking.com, a subscription site that has verified status of Walmart parking. Is this the Walmart # 2557 at 8400 Rosedale Hwy in Bakersfield (closest Walmart to Rosedale itself)?  If so, permission overnight parking was confirmed as recently as 11/12/2012.  But if it's the one 5075 Gosford Rd, then Walmart does NOT own the property and overnight stays are prohibited by the property owner/management.

Personally, I would not give much credibility to somebody's business card lying on the ground, but would have taken it to the Walmart Customer Service desk and asked them to confirm or deny.

It was 5075.  Prohibited by management does not a city code make.  Right?

Been wrong before.  Thanks for the updated info.  I will obviously run into issues again and will need you great people to keep those cards and letters coming!  Lol

No two people tear paper the same.  We all do things differently, handle situations differently.  Hopefully we do the best we can and learn from our mistakes.  In this case, I'm skeptical there was any wrong so what will be, will be.

Now if you're a knucklehead like me......you may have to experience the lesson a few times before you learn from it. :p

We stop at a few Walmart parking lot's while traveling, have never thought more than an over night is appropriate... It's not a campground.  Pull in during evening, go shop, sleep, wake up, leave....  To spend anymore than that is strange, unless you have some weird view of entitlement to others property, it's not public, it's someones business.  Like others, just an opinion.

Regarding the earlier post about there being two different walmarts here.  I am staying just two lights from the other "permissive" walmart and um YOWZER!!  Some of you guys would be a gasp to see that place.  Might as well start an RV park there, they look like they have by design planned to house what currently is about 12 large RV's.  Jacks down, slides out and been going on all day.  I will admit I dont keep abreast of the Rallies an what not but maybe there is some sort of RV rally here in town. 

I learn somethin' new every single day.

I must be the only paranoid one in the crowd. to me the card was a warning to LOOK for danger, as in someone casing the RV to do wrong.
let me put it this way, lets say I am a bad guy looking to steal stuff from cars/rv's in a parking lot. what would I do but stick a flyer or business card on the windshield or door then go sit somewhere and see how long it takes until it gets removed, if card is still there on day too, then it is unattended and I should have no troubles getting in getting stuff and getting out.

I would have either "pulled up stakes" right away or taken the card into Walmart to make sure it was a true business card. not some sort of "timer" for the bad guys.

Just my thoughts anyway, I have no experience staying at a Walmart and don't really plan on doing so. I have slept for a couple of hours on an exit ramp behind a transport truck when just too tired to go any further. but that was over 20 years ago.

It was 5075.  Prohibited by management does not a city code make.  Right?

Right. Though there may well be a city code that could apply to public parking areas as well. Often it is a matter of interpretation - or the property manager using compliance with the spirit of the city regs as a crutch.

The manager could have just been doing his job and letting you know nicely so you might avoid issues with the local municipality.  Walmart might not care at all that you are there, but they know that the municipality might and they don't want their customers in trouble. 

I'd take the card in and ask for the person whose name is on the card and thank them for the heads up, or to just find out if it was not them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom