replacing antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

The picture shows the antenna on the roof.  It looks like it has ten bolts under the silicone, but then there is that black thing on top.  In the roof on the inside where the crank is, there are only four screws.  I was thinking of replacing it with the Winegaurd 3000 which I thought would be easy "bolt off, bolt on", doesn't look like it's going to be that easy.  Advice?

Attachments

• AntennaMH.jpg
    AntennaMH.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 52
If you're thinking of replacing the batwing with a Winegard RoadStar 3000, be aware that it's an omni directional antenna, with significantly shorter range than the batwing. In my opinion, having owned both types, upgrading the batwing by installing the Wingman multi-element add-on and replacing the stock power injector with Winegard's SensarPro signal strength meter and amplifier would be a better choice in the long run.

The black nut on top holds the worm gear in place that raises and lowers the antenna when you turn the inside crank.

Other than that, it's the bolts under the silicon you have to remove to replace it with another one.

The 4 screws on the inside only hold the faceplate in place.  Loosen the setscrew on the crank-up handle and it and the aiming wheel drop off.  Then everything else pulls up through the roof after you remove the 10 screws.

The Winegard 3000 is an indoor antenna - it won't mount on the roof.  If you meant replacing it with the non-directional Roadstar, I agree with Dutch - you'll get much better performance from the batwing antenna than you would with either of the others.

Winegard Antenna Installation Manual

You can get that style of roof mount antenna in a directional type that has a remote control for easy tuning from inside the RV. No need to jump up to change the antenna when you switch channels - you can do it from your chair (if you can find the $%&* remote!). Nothing to put up & down when you move to another campsite, either.
Here's one such from Radio Shack  - it's the HDView360 shown here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3506951&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032189 

The flying saucer (Roadstar) is the WORST choice in antennas less you park in the TV station parking lot, and even then I'm not sure I'd care for it.

The Batwing is several times better

Add a wingman and it's 2x as good as it was a few minutes ago

Add a sensar pro and it's about as good as it gets (In addition to the wingman)

Less your batwing is defective (in which case replace with either a new batwing or a Jack) I'd add the wingman and Sensar pro.

Or rather, I added the wingman and the sensar pro

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom