Slides and Jacks Stopped Working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

conradps

All of a sudden, ALL of my hydraulics (jacks and slides) stopped working completely.  I have a 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 33V.  No idea what happened.  I was just using the jacks--all went down--then pushed one of the jack buttons again to fine tune the leveling and nothing! Then I tried the slides and neither of them were working either.  I couldn't find a thing in any of the owner's manuals.  Any help would be appreciated!!

Edit by John:  changed message icon to Topic Solved

Just today I had my steps stop working.  I removed the ground wires from the chassis coming from the Kwikee steps, sanded them clean, reconnected and everything worked perfectly.  Such an easy fix, and it happens more often than one would imagine.  It looked good, but that was it.  I'd remove clean and replace my grounds to the pump after checking the fuses.

Next, I'd check hydraulic fluid.

1 Do you have any lights on the control panel?

2 Will the panel turn on?

3 Can you retract the jacks?

If no to 1, 2  and 3 above the problem is likely a fuse or possibly a ground, possibly at at the control panel.

4 Can you hear the pump running or trying to run while you activate the controls. -- have someone outside to listen.

If yes to 3 and 4 you may be seriously low on hydraulic fluid.

Retract all the jacks, check the fluid then top up to the mark and try again. If this was the cause of the problem cycle the jacks and slides a time or two incase any air got into the lines.

If no to 4 the problem could be:

1 fuse
2 bad ground
3 other bad wiring connection
4 bad hydraulic pump motor.

You can  check the pump motor for continuity with an ohm meter. If it reads infinite it is likely a bad motor winding.

We had an intermittent motor winding in the Yukon some years ago, miles from an RV shop and the slides were stuck out. At the suggestion of the tech in Whitehorse (by phone) I gave the motor a whack with a hammer as DW held the switch down and in came the slides! We tried it weeks later when they failed again when going into the shop for the new motor and it didn't work! Drove 5 miles down the Alaska Highway with the slides out!

i know it sounds stupid but someone didnt take off the emergency brake did they. my stuff wont work unless the emergency brake lever is applied. just a thought

muskoka guy said:
i know it sounds stupid but someone didnt take off the emergency brake did they. my stuff wont work unless the emergency brake lever is applied. just a thought

That is good to remember

Not the the emergency brake--thanks for that possible easy suggestion.

Lights are on jacks control panel  and can turn off and on--and yes, I can retract the jacks only because they retract on springs.

There is no sound of any type when I either try to deploy the jacks or the slides.

Can anyone tell me how to determine which fuse runs these?

Any other ideas?

John Hilley said:
Check the two fuses right at the motor. Also check the ground connection on the motor.

What he said, but don't just look at the fuses. Check them with a multimeter.

Also check the terminals of the motor for continuity. You can use either the Ohms or continuity function of a multimeter. You might have an open winding in the motor, ie, a dead motor.

A multimeter should be in every RVr's tool box. 

conradps
I believe my 2005 Itasca Suncruiser would be the same as your unit. If you have the HWH system I suggest you try this:

Find the large (10"x10"), clear plastic covered square control panel just behind the drivers front tire. If the slide is out you should be able to see it easily. You could check to see if all the l.e.d.'s that are supposed to be lit -are lit-with the ignition key and jack system on.  But since you don't have your manual, turn the key off and carefully remove the clear plastic panel by rolling back the thick rubber gasket holding it onto the box. There are possibly 6 or more plug-in fuses (ranging I think from 5-20 amps) on that board. Start at the top and use a flashlight to check for a burned out one. or more. Should be able to see the bad one(s) without pulling them. They're the typical flat, double prong ones you'll find in cars.

I learned the hard way once that with the HWH system when sliding out the rooms-never push the reverse direction rocker switch quickly as it will jolt the hydraulics enough to trip and blow fuses in that panel. If you have the electric screw type I don't think this will help you...all the best!

Gene

Gene,

Thanks for that excellent detail--just what I was looking for!  Will get back with you. Yes, I do have the HWH.
You're the man!!

Just hope it works for you! That panel controls both the jacks and the room slides 'cause they use the same hydraulic motor and fluid. You can get a manual from HWH that is very specific as to which l.e.d.'s are lit & when. It will also tell how to bring in the slides in manually should you lose power and not find a bad fuse.

Gene

There are also 3 push in connectors on the back of the box.  Pull them apart one by one and spray inside of each side with a GOOD quality electrical contact cleaner (NOT WD40).  When the jacks and rooms were moving intermittently on my Meridian, spraying clean all of the contacts cleared the problem. 

Gary RV Roamer said:
Note that you must be getting power to the jack if they retract. The springs can't pull the jack up unless the valve opens.

I think that's another indication of back to no power to the hydraulic pump idea.

Pulled the cover off (what a bitch to get back on!)--all the fuses looked good.  I think I'm beyond my area of expertise.  I really cannot find which main fuse operates the HWH pump unit, etc, however, every fuse I checked is fine--both inside and outside the coach.  It's now beyond my expertise, so into the RV repair shop we go...  I didn't see a fuse "at the motor,"  if someone can give me a bit of a clue, maybe I just missed it.  That could be my last ditch at fixing this myself.

Thanks all for your help.  It will be interesting to find out what the deal is...I will post the results when I find out and (hopefully...gulp) along with a small repair bill!  (are you laughing yet??)    :)

conradps said:
Pulled the cover off (what a bitch to get back on!)--all the fuses looked good.  I think I'm beyond my area of expertise.  I really cannot find which main fuse operates the HWH pump unit, etc, however, every fuse I checked is fine--both inside and outside the coach.  It's now beyond my expertise, so into the RV repair shop we go...  I didn't see a fuse "at the motor,"  if someone can give me a bit of a clue, maybe I just missed it.  That could be my last ditch at fixing this myself.

Thanks all for your help.  It will be interesting to find out what the deal is...I will post the results when I find out and (hopefully...gulp) along with a small repair bill!  (are you laughing yet??)    :)

On mine there are two inline fuses in the control wiring to the solenoids. Just look at the wires around the motor for fuse holders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom