Kwikee blue wire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

At the end of this weekend it was time to Winterize for me, as we have predictions of 25 degrees for several hours in Paris, TX.  I finished, closed the door, and the steps didn't retract.  So out come the tools again.  I saw this blue wire, not connected to anything, and while replacing the speaker in front of the steps I saw a blue wire not connected to anything.  Both ends looked as if it's been a while since they were connected to anything. But the steps were working when I saw that wire disconnected, so I thought I'd start with the ground first.  That worked, the steps then worked, I was on my way home. 

Now I'm thinking, what does that blue wire do? 

Attachments

• KwikeeStepWires1.jpg
    KwikeeStepWires1.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 73
There is a purple wire (Optional stop light switch) listed on that PDF and the color of the wire for the step lamp was not given.

Purple can look like Blue to Some men (many men) and it can change color over time as well due to exposure to elements.

John From Detroit said:
There is a purple wire (Optional stop light switch) listed on that PDF and the color of the wire for the step lamp was not given.

Purple can look like Blue to Some men (many men) and it can change color over time as well due to exposure to elements.

The step lamp works even though it's disconnected.  So I had ruled that out.  Thanks.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
The step lamp works even though it's disconnected.  So I had ruled that out.  Thanks.

Just a stab in the dark based on the recent post.  I have no experience with your problem or the RV.

Could it be a disconnected wire informing the operator that the steps are down before getting under way?
Maybe a light on the dash?  Just a thought.

There's another wire in the speaker enclosure next to the steps.  I was thinking of seeing if it will reach the one under the coach.  If so, I was thinking of connecting the two, to see what happens.  My fear is that something bad may happen.  So I was hoping someone else may know what this wire was. 

My other thought, as the other blue wire I found came from the front of the coach; possibly it automatically retracts the steps when it's put in drive, which it doesn't do now.  I don't even know if that's supposed to be a feature on these units, a 99 Winnebago?

Try this... Hook a meter to it or a test light (I like the test light myself)

First meter/test to ground, both with steps in and out and with them locked in position. See if the light comes on or not.. If it does, when does it come on?

If the light never somes on (or the meter never show voltage) move the ground lead to the positive battery lead (or any lead that's hot) on a meter don't forget to swap leads.

Same tests

IF you find the wire is hot when on LOCKED or when on EXTENDED or if you find it is GROUNDED under one of those conditoins, but NOT CONNECTED under other conditions.. You have your answer

It is purple, not blue.

My other thought, as the other blue wire I found came from the front of the coach; possibly it automatically retracts the steps when it's put in drive, which it doesn't do now.  I don't even know if that's supposed to be a feature on these units, a 99 Winnebago?

NO, this was never a feature of Kwikee step installation.  The steps should retract any time the ignition is ON and/or the engine is started, but that is controlled via the YELLOW wire.

I suspect you have a replacement step controller and it does not match your diagram.  Search and print the manual for the #875 or newer steps and you'll see the purple wire JFD is talking about.

I will say one thing about this thread.. (I learn more from other people's problems than from my own)... I have been wanting to add a warning light to my steps for some time.... I have been considring ways to sense the step position.

IF that purple wire is there and if it works like I hope it does... I might be in luck.

Back
Top Bottom