I know you don't approve of electric scrubbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

OK, I acknowledge upfront the answer is "none." 

But is there any - preferably corded vs cordless - electric waxer/cleaner/polisher that I could get that would not destroy the finish on my vehicles and that isn't too heavy to manipulate or too large for minimal storage space, and that might do at least some good?  Up here in NW WA the acid rain, or whatever seems to be coming off of I-5 a block away, is leaving brown dots and grey streaks on my vehicles.  It's adding to the nice dull film of oxydation I should have cleaned off two years ago.  I tried Meguiars on the brown dots, and they scrub off.  But it takes a ton of effort and stamina.  And I end up with smears.  I don't want perfection; I just don't want to have to repaint someday.  I would also use the scrubber to try to clean some of the oxydiation off the mh fiberglass.  Since I've been fulltiming for 4 years now, I think I've put off doing this maintenance chore long enough. 

As for products, I'll likely stick to readily available Meguiars or something.

--pat

I use a randon-orbital buffer and it does not leave swirl marks.  I put whatever I am using on with it and take it off by hand.  Whether it destroys the paint I guess would depend on what you used with it.  A friend on the  forum told he he has used Maguiars Marine polish and it did an excellent job in removing oxidation.  I used Protect-All oxidation remover and it did a so-so job.

Jim:  Which random orbital buffer?  Why do you take it off by hand?  I'm guessing the buffer pads would become clogged with wax quickly.  The buffer removes streaks and spots?  Places like Napa are better than Sears or Ace to get such an item?

--pat

Jim:  Hey, I have a Walmart around here someplace.  I was looking online at the Porter Cable 7424, which is supposed to be the best, but I can most likely do just as well with the Waxmaster.  At least it's a start.

--pat

I have the small Porter Cable ROS that I used to use for cabinet work. I got some open cell foam pads for it that are attached with hook and loop (Velcro). When they get clogged with whatever I am using I just pull them off and rinse and wring out in a bucket of water.
This did an excellent job of removing oxidation from my front roof cap a couple of years ago. I used a special oxidation remover from Camping World but I suspect a good very fine grit polishing compound would have done as well.

Woody

Woody:  The Porter Cable is random orbit.  Does that mean it oscillates?  I looked at a few stores here this morning.  Nothing but stuff I could stick on the end of my Makita drill.  I'll likely get the Porter Cable 7424 kit. 

--pat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom