4 Wheelin around Quartzsite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

max49

I've been wanting to go to Quartzsite to see what attracts so many RVers besides the nice winter weather, cheap boondocking, not too far from Mexico and Lake Havasu.  I know they have the big RV show in Jan.
  Are there many or any interesting dirt roads to explore in the area? They don't have to be all that difficult but I also like good scenery, history etc and good loops are a bonus but interesting 'in & outs' are ok too.

Plenty of good 4WD and simple dirt roads around Qtz. Even some where you can take a classic VW :)  We have Massey & Wilson's Backcountry Adventures: Arizona book. I know there are others. Plus, 4WD can be quite handy going in to the big tent the back way.

Wendy

Where do you start? We went through there two years ago, that has to be a 4 wheeler's paradise.

Thanks Wendy and Roy. It sounds like there must be a lot of good trails around there. I know I'll have to get some books on the area but are there any personal recommendations on specific trails that I can research?

I have a simple Jeep GC that is also my daily driver. If I follow you off road folks into town on the back roads will I still have a daily driver at the end of the day?

will I still have a daily driver at the end of the day?

Absolutely!  We did it with our Geo Tracker and Grand Cherokee and now do it with our Acura MDX.  Like the lady said, sand is your biggest problem but we've never been stuck in it.

ArdraF

I've never been there before and thought Quartzsite might be an alternative winter retreat. I can't find any 4 WD roads around there that are worth writing about and putting it on the web. 
  So many RVers go there and apparently many stay for a long time.  I had'nt heard that it's hard to find a place to park until Betty Brewer mentioned it.  It does'nt sound like a great place for 4 wheelin as compared to Moab or the Rocky Mtns.  Can any one tell me what attracts so many RVers and some for a long time and what do people do for entertainment.  Do you get cell phone and internet signal, any over the air TV channels?
  Anyone go into Mexico for a day trip?

Well, Quartzsite isn't Moab but then no place is. Every place is different. Why do people go to Quartzsite? Beautiful sunsets, lovely weather, great shopping, lots of friendly folks. Cell phone service? Yep. Over the air TV? Yep. Internet? Well, you've got to have some way to pick it up so if you're using cell phone for your internet then Yep. Just don't look for an internet cable out in the desert to plug in. Bring your own.

Wendy

BTW, on the subject of sand, if you get stuck in the sand going to the show the back way, there are lots of people who will happily pull you out (voice of experience speaking). Like I said, lots of friendly people.

Wendy

max49 said:
  I had'nt heard that it's hard to find a place to park until Betty Brewer mentioned it.  It does'nt sound like a great place for 4 wheelin as compared to Moab or the Rocky Mtns.  Can any one tell me what attracts so many RVers and some for a long time and what do people do for entertainment. 

I should clarify that the only  hard parking is near the big tent and vendor activity.  There is lots of space out in the BLM areas.  Quartzsite is a social phenomenon.  One either loves it or hates it.  I don't think it is a 4 wheel Mecca but there are some  really fun rides over the ridges. I'm not sure the  exact attraction but sunsets, campfires and camaraderie come to mind as top things for me.  One creates their own entertainment.  people watching is prime!

4-wheeling in QZ certainly cannot compare to the 4 & 5 rated trails in Moab. It's more of a leisurely ride along the desert and over some mountains. There are some 2, and possibly, 3 rated trails. When we started 4X4 trips it was more looking for a neat lunch room either on top of a mountain or in an undiscovered, to us, valley.

There are miles of roads that traverse the area, some going to abandoned mines and others just climbing a mountain ridge for an unparalleled view of the valley. There are deserted ghost towns from the mining days and trips through dry washes with rock obstacles to conquer. Those looking for hair raising adventures will be disappointed but those looking to peek into the past might find it very interesting. Mines such as Southern Cross, Mudersbach, Cinnebar, and Apache Chief, along with many others, can be visited. Some are just a few holes in the ground and others have clues of the life these miners might have endured. It really depends upon what each individual can glean from the clues that are left behind.

For those that would like more challenging trails, head south towards Yuma for some really interesting rock climbing. If one keeps an open mind and enjoys being away from the crowds then off roading in QZ can be quite enjoyable.

Thanks guys and gals.  It does sound interesting. I like some challenging trails especially if every one is trying to out do every one else, like in a group. When it's just my wife and I in my stock '97 Sahara toad, we often have fun just exploring the back country, checking out old mines and ghost towns or buildings and finding a good lunch spot.  Is there a lot of deep dry sand where you need plenty of momentum to get through?    I got pretty surprised down in the Great Sand Dunes Nat Park when I was puttzing along on what I thought was a "walk in the park" road , in 2WD and Hi range. I could'nt stop to put it in 4WD or low range because I knew I'd never get going again. I made it, barely, pedal floored and 2000 RPM was all the engine could pull.
  Does any one make day trips to Mexico for lunch or shopping?  Last time I went from San Diesgo, we did'nt need passports.  Now I have to decide if we need to spend about $350 for passports. Thanks to the 911 attack.

Max,

I found out tonight there are some 4&5 rated trails near QZ. I don't know where they are but I'm sure the info is correct. :)

Does any one make day trips to Mexico for lunch or shopping?

I think most of us are avoiding Mexico these days because of the safety issues, although we never went down from Quartzsite.  I suppose there are still some people who go across the border but not as many as in years past.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I think most of us are avoiding Mexico these days because of the safety issues, although we never went down from Quartzsite.  I suppose there are still some people who go across the border but not as many as in years past.

Actually there are just as many  people shopping Algodones as in the past.  Dental work , glasses and medications are still an attractive draw for  those of us who go.  It is a a fine day trip from Q.  It is  about a 2.5 hour trip there One way. Leave early in morning and you can still be back before dark.  There may be a line at the  border to return to US as so many people go there.  You need a passport or an official Government issued ID card ( a sort of passport substitute) Drivers license is not enough.  I  recommend the trip if you have the passport.

Betty

Another option, which we used when camped at Indio earlier this year, was to drive the toad to Yuma, stay overnight at a motel, hit Los Algodones before the crowds, and arrived back in Indio at a reasonable hour.

Back
Top Bottom