TPMS Leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No disagreement Rich, and I don't believe anyone is suggesting otherwise. I'd prefer that early warning, allowing me time to pull over, rather than see smoke in my mirror telling me it's too late.

I have a TST system which I love. I did have a leak once but it was my own fault. I took the sensor off to check the tire and when I put it back on I didn't realize that there is a o ring inside so I must have dropped it. Boy you need the o ring so be careful. Didn't get from the dumpster to the gate and I dropped 50 pounds. Kind of hard to support a large 5er with so little air. I called TST and they sent me a new sensor for no cost. Fortunately, I carry at least 2 extras in my truck for emergencies. As the system has saved us 3 times in one trip....I love the system.

Bob

Rich D. said:
No question, TPMS systems are an early warning system BUT, they are not failsafe and never an excuse to not properly use your mirrors and rear view monitor.

Don't own a motorhome, but am curious.  I try to monitor my trailer tires using my side mirrors.  It is not possible to see the tires on the passenger side of my trailer.  That's where we experienced a blow out at highway speed and had it not been for the smoke following the explosion, it could have been considerably more serious.  How do you get a visual on the passenger side tires with a motorhome?     

How do you get a visual on the passenger side tires with a motorhome?

You don't, that's why we so strongly recommend a TPMS.

garyb1st said:
  How do you get a visual on the passenger side tires with a motorhome?   
As Ned said you do not.  In fact with a motorhome all of which have duals on the rear you may overlook an inner dual that is very low on air pressure with a walk around visual at a fuel stop.  I will never tow without TPMS both on my trailer and TV. Mine has saved me a tire failure twice so it has more than paid for the cost.

A motorhome will tow a car with a flat tire without realizing there is a problem. I pulled our first CRV about a 1/4 mile with the parking brake slightly on and until a car pulled me over did not see the large cloud of white smoke it created on my black and white monitor.

Some class I was in several years ago recommended drawing an outline of the toad on the monitor with grease pencil. If the car has a flat it will tow to the left or right.

Tom said:
No disagreement Rich, and I don't believe anyone is suggesting otherwise. I'd prefer that early warning, allowing me time to pull over, rather than see smoke in my mirror telling me it's too late.

Right on, Tom.  I knew a gentleman who towed his jeep with a flat until it caught fire!!! Never looked in the monitor or mirrors and only when horns started blaring did he pull off a nearby exit. Right at the bottom of the ramp was the local fire department!  Good thing, as the toad was locked to the coach and the fire too hot to get it loose. TPMS would have saved all of that damage.

I am ready to pull the trigger and get a TPMS.  TST 507 10 sensor flow through for $499 delivered.  Comparable Pressure Pro is $690.  Any show stoppers on why I should spend $200 more for Pressure Pro.  Looking for any specific issues and not just satisfaction or history with one or other.

Some of the benefits received after spending the additional cost for the PressurePro are:

PP has been selling it's TPMS longer that any of it's competitors and has the best track record for quality and service.

PP is the only TPMS 100% American made.

The PP sensors are the most powerful on the market and the most reliable.

PP sensors are factory sealed to reduce the chance of leakage. The battery cost over the life of the sensors shouldn't be more than for systems using replaceable batteries. The factory replaces sensors with dead batteries with new sensors at a reduced price.

PP sensors are the fastest and easiest to program and can be moved between vehicles without any reprogramming.

In addition to low pressure warnings, PP also has high pressure and high temperature warnings. By the way, since most TPMS sensors mount on the valve stem, the temperature reading is misleading since the temperature inside the valve stem can vary considerably from the air in the body of the tire. High pressure warning is more reliable since the pressure is equal throughout the tire.

Granted, the PP costs more than many other systems on the market, but the difference in value is there. You pay your money and take your choice.

Bernie. Thanks for the info.  I have searched far and wide on this topic and it appears to be a Chevy vs. Ford issue. 
TST and PP come to the top with satisfied reviews.  If you own either, you are pretty much satisfied with it. 
I was hoping that someone could direct me to or provide some hard test results/reviews that confirmed some of the statements in all the advertising.  For example, you state that PP has best track record for quality and service and are most powerful and reliable.  I have seen those statements from several manufacturers/dealers.  I was hoping to find some results, hopefully third party, that cut through the advertising to help me make a solid decision. 
My criteria for buying anything follows in order:  Need, features, quality, reliability/service, safety, cost.  I use these in order to cut down the list of candidates.  TST and PP appear pretty even on the first five.  Big difference on cost.  So I was hoping to find some test results/third party reviews to help explain the cost differential.  But I guess they just don't exist.
I appreciate that PP is 100% American made.  All things being equal, I am willing to pay a premium to get something that is American made.  However, 38% more is just too much of a premium without having some data to support the difference in value.

John

To the best of my knowledge, there have been no independent tests or collection of data. I can only pass on what I have heard from owners and what has been passed down to me by PP customer support. I have personally picked up signals from my car sensors parked over 100 yards away and am unaware of any other system that is capable of that. Since the sensors are sealed, they are less prone to leakage than sensors with user replaceable batteries. I personally have had sensors last over 8 years.

Granted this is all non-third party, but based on the lack of information out there, I can only pass on my personal experience, knowledge and information. I went looking for a TPMS before PP came on the market because of my experiences with unexpected tire failures on my trailer. To the best of my knowledge, PP has the fastest and easiest install and is the only TPMS on the market which can have sensors moved between vehicles, and with varying pressures, without user reprogramming. Every time I've run a comparison of features and technical specs with other brands, the PressurePro comes out on top. YMMV.

Thanks Bernie.  I appreciate your input.  The TPMS decision is tougher than other accessory purchases given the cost involved.  I want a very good system at a good price.  But I also don't want to be a poster down the road who is not happy with their choice.  Guess it's time to just make a decision and get back to enjoying the RV.  Thanks again to all for your input on this topic.

John, I personally could not find an appreciable difference to justify the cost difference. That is why I went with the TST system. So far I have been very happy with TST

We bought our Pressure Pro system from Bernie 7  years ago and it served us very well. I replaced it with a TST system after the batteries wore out to have a little more versatility with setting alarm parameters and seeing the temps.

After using the TST system for a year I am very pleased with it.

We have the 507's and I took some of the flow throughs to the coach but exchanged them for the security covers that require a wrench to remove. The flow throughs really stick out from the tire.

Incidentally the original batteries are now a year old and still working. I purchased the replacements from Amazon for 1.65 each.

I read that the unit you are planning on buying lasts five years.  I've been looking at the Tireminder which states the receiving unit does not have to be replaced like some brands.  You only have to replace the small 3vdc batteries on the sending units, and in some cases they will supply the batteries when needed.  I'm curious to find out what you decide and why. 

My understanding is that the TST monitor is good for longer than 5 years.  It is the battery in the 510 that only makes that sensor good for 5 years.  But with fresh batteries and O rings, I am not aware that there is a stated life for either the monitor or sensors regardless of 507 or 510.  If there is such a statement, I missed it and would appreciate it if you could help point out where it is. 

Back
Top Bottom