Height of fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the average height of a fifth wheel.want to eventually build a metal building to keep it in and don't know how tall to make it

That's a pretty broad question without knowing which make and model.

If you're building for the future and not sure what make and model you may end up with down the road, I'd go at least 14'-15' height clearance.

What part of the country you in needs to be taken into consideration to some degree.  If you live someplace like Sacramento where it's in the triple digits in the summer months then I'd think you'd want some breathing room up above the trailer. 

Not sure that'd be necessary or have any value if you live in the snow belt.

Better to have enough clearance and not need it than to need it and not have enough.

Many states today allow 14 ft.  Colorado and Nebraska allow 14' 6".  I have noticed many trailers and Motor Homes are very near the 13' 6" now.  In the future I expect this will go into the 15 foot range as states change towing laws.  I would allow 15 feet in any new construction.

I guestimate the typical range as being 12-6 to 13-6, but smaller ones may be lower. Few go higher because for many years the interstate and national highway bridge standard was 13'6". New construction is now higher than that, but much of the existing highway system was built when 13'6" was the minimum.

When I was looking into driving a truck, the major carriers ran 14 ft. tall box trailers west of the Great Plains, 13'6" countrywide.

My 5er's stated clearance is 12'9". I shy at anything under 13'6". My guess is that 14' sidewalls would be sufficient, but 16' would give you growing room into the future.

Remember if you build something with an overhead door, like a roll up garage type door, that a 14' door does not open a full 14'. I would like to build a pole barn in the future to store mine, and I've decided on a 16' door.

Most people build the covers at 14' to ensure clearance.  I don't know of any RV trailers that would surpass that.  I'm sure they're out there, but they are not common.  14' should be plenty for you.

We have considered retireing and puttin up a metal building on our acreage and stayin there in the winter.we would have to get permission from the neighborhood ass. They are pretty easy going in s.d. We own a cabin there that is seasonable On The neb side of the river.we use to camp on the acerage before we got the cabin.it is a ways out in the country.would be cheaper then buying bigger truck and paying monthly fees to snowbird.will have to look into s.d.rules.thanks for the input

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom